Page: 12
tennis
confused and abused
Total posts: 363
Posted:I have noticed recently in my area that new poi spinners are about as common as...erm...a really common thing, i also noticed that many of the new up and commers are learning from what they watch and as expected they are starting to evolve into miniture versions of the people who have been spinning for a while.

BUT they are also adopting very similar styles. This is slightly concerning me and my friends. we took time and evolved our styles through time.We are all different. I learned through perseverence and H.O.P. I along with a few others can proudly say our styles are our own. but i was just wondering if anyone else had slight concerns about this issue.

Secondly what to you think makes your style of poi staff etc different to others (if you think it does) Is there any element of your art you are particularly proud of,i.e technique, speed, funky, trancy?

I think i'd call my style 'swoopy'

This is not a grudge thing btw.

Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

Delete Topic

bender
still can't believe it's not butter
Total posts: 6979
Posted:my poi style has changed heaps over the years - what u see in COL 2007 is not the same as what u see in that old video i released (2003)... i do understand that a person's style can change with the toy (especially if they are very big toys!) and i gotta add that clothing makes a difference too.
Since my disasterous leg injury, i have concentrated on more elegant, controlled footwork (too much power = more injuries). so i wear flowing pants when i am twirling in my 'comfortable' style.

Lately (last 2 years or so i mean) Musicality has become a more dominant influence on my body movement. What was once a martial artists's emphasis on movement as reaction and set patterns has now evolved to a dancer's interaction, engagement with environment and a focus on beat-timing.
It's a lot of words to explain something that physically explains itself in a few minutes - perhaps i should release a movement video, it's what i primarily work on anyway
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

kdldamn
stranger
Total posts: 23
Posted:I'm getting stuck in patterns with my style right now but it mostly consist of moving inside of a fountain and quite a bit of anti-spin. I'm working on making it more like dancing with the poi but it's just taking awhile.

So, what's up?

Delete

poinoob
Total posts: 45
Posted:i agree back ground of how u learn helps to define ur style ppl like me who started with glowsticks will have a def tendancy towards wraps and other such tom foolery. i love wraps but i had to unlearn alot of em for poi because i relied to heavily on them for plane and direction changes. so my style is kinda in limbo right now but it is unlike alot of ppl's style because even tho there in therory that knows exactly what do no more no less we will both go thru the same moves at some point but how we transition and link em will be completely different

Delete

DMT
Total posts: 2
Posted:Well, im teacher and that help me a lot because its a way to keep my style the most posible, it's logical that if you are starting you copy the other styles but with time and practice we can create own style...

Delete

Sarah_P
Total posts: 78
Posted: Written by :DMT

Well, im teacher and that help me a lot because its a way to keep my style the most posible, it's logical that if you are starting you copy the other styles but with time and practice we can create own style...

ditto

Delete

feeb
feeb

Total posts: 72
Posted:surely our own styles are just a copy of many different styles that we have seen and think looks good, we become individuals through copying other people, not inspite of it

pyromania pixie power!

Delete

natasqi
natasqi

addict
Total posts: 489
Posted: Written by :feeb

surely our own styles are just a copy of many different styles that we have seen and think looks good, we become individuals through copying other people, not inspite of it

I disagree.. I'd have to say my 'style' comes from knowing the basics and then loving dance and movement to actually DANCING with poi.. and not POI-ing to music.
I'd say it came more from watching people and thinking about what I DON'T like than copying what I do like...

I don't think I've seen many people perform with poi at all. I've seen lots of people mucking around, but sitting through a whole performance is rare for me.

Delete

marcbs
marcbs

Total posts: 28
Posted:I am a "style pirate" as well as a "move pirate"... I steal all the stuff I like and sink the rest to the bottom of the great blue. Then I twist it to exactly what I want, which usually looks decidedly different from anything that I started with. I change my style regularly to match the occasion as well.

Delete

Page: 12