squid
squid

sanguine
Total posts: 382
Posted:I was looking over the Cathedral style wicks as I begin my research.

What I want to do is put the eyebolt and nut inside somehow so that there is no exposed metal on the bottom end of the wick.

What methods are available for this? Do I need to sew an end flap over it, or begin the construction with the eyebolt already in place, or what?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Delete Topic

Rellizate
Rellizate

old hand
Total posts: 719
Posted:You could put the eyebolt through all but the last fold of wick, then sew that fold down with kevlar string.

Delete

squid
squid

sanguine
Posted:Do you think the sewing would compromise overall integrity and lifespan of the wick, though?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Delete

Rellizate
Rellizate

old hand
Posted:Errm, I think it should be ok. The only downside with sewed wicks, is that they are a bummer to replace. You could coat the wick in PVA after you made it, to stop it shifting.

Delete

squid
squid

sanguine
Posted:hmm. Ok, Ill look into it. thanks!

There wouldnt by chance be a method for backfolding the cathedral so that sewing is unnecessary, is there?

Delete

Rellizate
Rellizate

old hand
Posted:Errm there probably is, but it would be hard to apply it and to have no metal on show.

Delete

squid
squid

sanguine
Posted:Yah, youre probably right. I would like to minimize metal exposure, but not wrestle with it too much. After all, eventually Ill be having to replace the wick and do it again. smile

Thanks again, man.

Delete

Rellizate
Rellizate

old hand
Posted:Hmm well you could fold the wick and then thred the eyebolt through all but the last fold, then sew the last fold over the metal at the bottom. That would leave some exposed metal on the top though...

Delete