Forums > Other Toys > Tying off 4-cord braided whips

Login/Join to Participate

clicktracknewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Whats the best way to do this? I'm using 1/2 inch think kevlar rope and I'm wondering what's the most secure way to tie them off. String? Knot? Metal?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Get in contact with Bovril Monkey.
He is the man you will want to speak to about this matter.

ubbrollsmile

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
I would imagine a four-part backbraid, with the ends finished under the outer braid. Basically, take your ends, go out a decent distance with them unbraided, make a "U-Turn" with them, and braid back the other direction. Braid right over the loose ends, encasing then in the belly of the whip. Once you get to the original braid, use a fine Phillips screwdriver to open up parts of the braid to pass your wick through. Try to keep to the pattern your braid creates. Once you getthe hang of it, it'll be second nature. Get a few inches braided in this way, take care of your ends. Plait them into the belly of the whip, and it's all done. I would also recommend using White glue to seal the tips of the braid and keep them from coming undone. White glue is quite fire resistant. Be generous with it. It will dry flexible enough, and it'll only smell a bit funny for your first 5 or so burns. Hope I helped at least a little!

Personally, I just use a 1" diameter fiberglass rope with a fine thread kevlar sheath and be done with it. They don't tend to hold up for long enough for me feel it's worth it to make the kind of effort you are. No matter what, they wear out at the same rate. Braiding them, (For me at least) takes far too long for the relative little extension I get out of its useful life. Then again, I use my firewhip more often than most.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Catsmiomember
37 posts

Posted:
Ohh wow, can we get a pic once you're done. I've never played with one myself.. but have watched with wonder.

"Don't be so humble, you are not that great."

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

clicktracknewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info! Certainly useful, particularly the bit about the glue, very helpful! I will definitely post a pic or two if I ever get the use of a digital camera. These will be occasional-use-only toys, so I figured I'd take the time to braid them since I probably won't have to replace them too soon, and I like the feel and drag of a braid more than straight-up rope.

(awesome picture, by the way)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
What a picture! Rock on!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.