• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.
Page: 12

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted:I am always so fascinated by these, but the news here will mention it and then not follow through.

I know a yacht was found off the coast of Australia and that everything was smoothe inside. The table was set, the computers were running and by all accounts it looked like people were aboard but in other rooms. However, no people were aboard at all and last I heard there were no signs of what happened to them.

So, whatcha think?

Aussies, is there any other/more news on this?

Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Total posts: 2303
Posted: Written by: MikefromGlos

When it was reported in england on the national news by the bbc they said the lifeboat was missing maybe they decided to go diving or fishing and got taken by a current?

It didn't actually have a life boat. Eera's post is the most spot on i've heard.
Also they were sailing from Queenslands east coast to the West coast of Western Australia, which is a very long trip in a boat. So they would have had good sailing skills and it seems very strange they only lasted a couple of days before things went terribly wrong!!

On a more wicked note, they may have well of had enough of their own lifes and decided to fake their own deaths. Setting the yacht a sail and leaving like it was and just moving away to start a new life. ubbidea just a thought!!

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

Future Mrs Pogo
Total posts: 4728
Posted:The front sail is called the 'jib'...just as a matter of info...and I was kinda wondering about the thing of why they'd have the sails up AND the motor running...didn't make sense to me...
I've got some sailing experience and I've been puzzling over that one...and yes, they could have had the motor running to build up power...
I had not heard that the birds where down...so that does suggest that they were either taken or picked up by another boat...but that shredded jib just keeps turning round and round in my mind...
Any info on how it may have been shredded???

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Geek-enviro-hippy priest
Total posts: 1858
Posted:The sail could have been a spinnaker as well. I've ripped a jib before when a halyard came undone and got caught in it.

If it was a spinnaker then they tend to be lighter and therefore easier to rip than jibs. I don't think that a stray halyard is very likely in this case, but it's something that can happen.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

old hand
Total posts: 1107
Posted:The thing that intrigues me is that there was a fishing line in the water when the boat was found. Now, I've seen people do some stupid stuff like marlin fishing from a blow-up kayak (really!), I've seen sail fish attack boats and I've seen loads of sharks out that way. All I can think is that there's been a fishing-related incident of some description.

It's possible they've faked their own deaths, but looking at the families they've left behind you wouldn't want to believe it.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Mumma Hen
Total posts: 6391
Posted:they are talking about the possibility of pirates?!

apparently the guys clothes were all neatly folded up and left on the deck so there is also the possibility that they went swimming and drowned. confused frown

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 5814
Posted:They were done by neat pirates?

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Total posts: 3044
Posted:ill keep an eye out for any suspicious looking obsessive-compulsive pirates i see... wink

im trying to think of highly improbable seuqences of events whereby all 3 fall into the water at the same time and cant reach the boat.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Momma Bear
Total posts: 4525
Posted:Perhaps they were abducted by aliens? or found the lost city of Atlantis?
Maybe mermaids tempted them away?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
Total posts: 4030
Posted: Written by: Sym

I can't find anything that says how experienced they were - I guess they knew quite a bit if they went out to sea like that.

I think one of them had a fair bit of experience with boating, in Western Australia. But it is pretty common in Oz that retired folks take off on wild adventures, remote travel. GO places they haven;t been and often without much experience.
The Grey Nomad thing. Apparently doing it in a boat is a bit more risky than doing it on a caravan though eh.

Could be interesting if they were the sort of blokes who were on the piss a lot. (that's Oztralian for drinking a lot of alcohol.. another habit of Ozzie males) That would greatly increase the likelihood of any sort of stuff happening.. skinny dips or whatever.

I saw a photo and it looked to me like a back sail that was torn, if that's any help to you nautical types. It's a catamaran by way, not a full sailing boat.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Page: 12