Forums > Social Chat > What is wrong with the world today?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
FatGuru
FatGuru

Total posts: 40
Posted:Today I got involved in a confrontation with one of my school teachers.... I had my practice poi hanging from my belt (thats where they always are!) and he rudely told me to put them in my pocket. i asked him why and he proceeded to freak out and further insult me. Why are people in today's world so calloused and hateful? Im seen as a "dope" smokin loser by most people just because I dont want to live my life the way they want. America has become nothing less than a unified want of material possesions. Im not sure how the rest of the world is. I just want to move away and be a hermit. Then again if i did that who would i spin with??? lol

heres a poll!

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

Delete Topic

alien_oddity
alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 7193
Posted:the teacher sounds a bit of a dick to be honest ubblol

american socioty is a funny thing (as in odd) they've never liked hippies or the beatnicks, it's sad really because now socioty is so focused and driven on personal gain and matterialistic possesions.

as for your poll, if someone gave me a million dollars i'd spend it biggrin i dont mean on big houses, fast cars and loose women, i mean on things like traveling the world, trying to help people etc. whats the point in saving it? you only live once

Delete

so_bread
Total posts: 24
Posted:ditto your teacher sounds like a fool. was probably annoyed that people are living care free life styles with happy sunny past times and they r ganna finish their day, go home and look for that last peice of the jigsaw their mum got them for xmas and cry as no one will b their friend.
As for the million dollars i would first, change it into pounds, then spend it on bubble wrap so people cud get together, wrap them selves up and roll down hills while enjoying the popping sillyness! ubbrollsmile

Delete

SunnySammy
SunnySammy

Watching the Sky
Total posts: 453
Posted:Id give most of it away, say 900,000 to friemds, family, charities etc then keep the 100,000 myself coz thats all ill need, if im rich ill be bored as hell, i dont want a big house or wardrobe. just a couple of kids, clarinets and a nice man smile teehee!

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI
Total posts: 3556
Posted:i'd spend it
why couldn't you put your poi in your pocket? he is a teacher. it has nothing to do with nonconforming. it has to do with respect.
ooh i sound old

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Lurch
Lurch

old hand
Total posts: 929
Posted:I'd have to agree, how exactly did you ask "why"?

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:i'm turning into my mother

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

shocked_prawn
shocked_prawn

old hand
Total posts: 865
Posted:yeah i tihnk turning into you mother is an enevitability theese days... i know i am

but why is non pocketed poi a problem? even if it does have somthing to do with respect.

and if someone have me that much money i would certainly spend it....

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Total posts: 1502
Posted:Your teacher is a fool. There's a lot of that about!

I'd spend some, save some and give some away.

Delete

shocked_prawn
shocked_prawn

old hand
Total posts: 865
Posted:one kilometer is greter than a mile? what?! idiot

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:he is an elder and a person in a position of respect...it doesn't have anything to do with conforming
it should have been "ummmm okaaay" maybe emphasized with a roll of the eyes, and then the poi should have been put away
i mean get over yourself
you have to have your poi out to express your individuality by having your poi hang out. is your whole identity hinged on this? will you look all horribly conformed if you do? if being a hippy is about bringing peace to the world, isn't your arguing with him defeating the purpose over something as silly as this?
express yourself somehow else or on your own time, not on the schools shrug

Faith

Delete

FatGuru
FatGuru

Posted:i guess i should've just caved but i just cant stand it when people in authority severely condescend me. I should've just saved myself the screaming but i feel like a coward. As for the reason i wear my poi on my belt is I'm ALWAYS practicing. I don't consider myself part of any group i am myself. I'm friends with literally my entire class.(63 people) The only cliquy i consider my self fully devoted to is the human race. I try to make the world a better place in any way i can. You would be amazed what something as trivial as smiling does for other people. This teacher was the exact opposite. It was like he was trying to ruin my day. Teachers should encourage free thinking and creativity, not demean it. I believe our current education system is flawed, and if this flaw is isn't realized the future of the good ol' USofA is in trouble. The American dream.... MONEY!!!!

help

I feel so bad about the portrait our "commander in cheif" paints for the rest of the world. IMF glad the election is coming up! clap

thanks for the advice everybody.

PS: Listen to the song "Positive Vibes" By the Kotton Mouth Kings It inspires me, maby yall will appreciate it too.

Delete

Firetramp
Firetramp

old hand
Total posts: 896
Posted:If the teacher asked you politely then you should've put them away. It really annoys me when pupils ask me "why" whenever I ask something of them.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:Don't get a gun over it - that's all I'd ask for... wink hug

We DO ubblove you for owning Poi biggrin

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

DarkFyre
DarkFyre

HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
Total posts: 1965
Posted:good for you for sticking up for yourself but in the future you may want to pick you battles a bit better, tho i can deeply simpathise with your stance to self superior people

Just keep arguing coz freedom of speach is aparently the corrner stone of the western world but it really upsets people when you use it

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:Good you didn't put them down your pants, saying: "Sir, you're right, I shouldn't have my balls dangle off my belt in public" ubblol

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

TastesLikePurple
TastesLikePurple

addict
Total posts: 498
Posted:i said i'd save the million so it'd gain enough interest for me to spend loads but also give loads away with loads left over to gain more interest and do it all again! i'd never burn it - if it's burnt it can't be given away to others nor can it be spent to help pay the wages of those providing a service - burnt money achieves nothing but feeding the self-righteousness of the one who is burning it. besides, it's a waste of trees! ubbrollsmile

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:ahhh teen spirit bounce

Faith

Delete

rainbowgirl
rainbowgirl

Total posts: 70
Posted:i wouldnt say teachers being jerks was a new thing, or a USA thing, i remember getting detention when my teacher asked me 'what is history' and i answered 'everything, you asking the question what is history is now history' apparantly i was being a smart arse. Still it inspired me, im still being a smart arse - now at university level - and enjoying it!

I would spend a million quid on a special house for my mum adapted to suit her disabilities, giving some of my friends the money they need to start up some business ventures or to do their further studies, put some aside to earn money to live on, build myself a nice house on a farm or ranch and buy horses to breed and train, travel a bit, give plenty to charities i like and then run away to join the circus!

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars

"To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems!"

Delete

Charles
Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
Total posts: 3989
Posted:It's amazing the number of things I want to say in this thread, yet it seems there would be no actual positive outcome to any of it.

With that in mind, I'll keep quiet and see what other people say... wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:oh now you can't say that...you're just teasing, that's not nice

Faith

Delete

FatGuru
FatGuru

Posted:I went to the teacher today.... I asked him why he had gotten so angry at my asking why. I wasn't being smart or sarcastic in any way. You know what he said to me? "I'm the boss thats why!"....... I just left it at that.:( I graduate in a month. Then I wont have to deal with him anymore! beerchug

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:hmph. Is he meant to be educating, or is he meant to be pumping up his ego by pushing kids around?

I. Hate. Teachers. Like. That.

Thank god I don't have to deal with them anymore. Oh hang on, yes I do, they're called bosses :-/

Delete

TastesLikePurple
TastesLikePurple

addict
Total posts: 498
Posted:both my parents are teachers - which is very weird cause i have my own views about teachers and then i get their insight and opinions as well - it's all very confusing! Some teachers are complete and utter arseholes and shouldn't be defended. but most of the time teachers are working their asses off up to an hour before the kids arrive in the morning and up to 3 hours after they leave, on top of working their asses off during school hours teaching kids that without them would end up nowhere. my mum works in a school in a particularly deprived area of nottingham and there hasn't been a week i can remember when she hasn't been assaulted with bruises to show for it. My dad, even though his school is in a more affluent area, a fight he had to split up caused him to slip a disc in his neck. teachers have to deal with these kind of things all the time, even if they aren't as severe, it's not in their job description, they don't have to do it, but they do to protect others. let's face it, they are only human, they will get stressed because of long hours and stressful kids, and you never know what they've just had to deal with. cut them some slack - they're only trying to give you an education.

sorry it turned into a rant but i felt the teachers needed a bit of defending.

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:Sure teachers have stressful jobs, and more props to them for putting up with it.

Doesn't give anyone an excuse to be a d!ck though, especially if, as FatGuru says, they're asked politely the reasons behind their decision and respond with insults and agression.

Delete

FatGuru
FatGuru

Posted:Well this one has risen to a new level! Today I walk into school and to my first period class, and who is waitin there for me? The principal of my school! It seems a certain teacher had come to him with reports that I was carring weapons around school.... To make a long story short, Poi are now banned from my school, and if I am seen at school with them I don't get to graduate.... WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?!?!?!?!?! help

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:imho
teens have a hard time asking anything politely...
Now, poi as weapons seems silly to us, but not so silly to the unfamiliar public. My boyfriend and friends still think they'd make good weapons. (Mostly cause I smack them when they are bad, but...)
Think about it. Schools are trying to protect the students. This poi thing is unfamiliar but looks dangerous, and it looks suspiciously like that glowy thing they do at raves
Is it ignorant? Absolutely. But it is also reasonable.
Sides, aren't you supposed to be at school to learn academics?
I can't help but side with the teachers, because I see what brats the students can be

Faith

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:Hang on, were these sock/ribbon poi or fire poi?

Delete

FatGuru
FatGuru

Posted:Note i was not playing with my poi at all they were just hanging there. They were sock poi.

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:Righto, in that case... WEAPONS?!! Is your school staffed ENTIRELY by idiots?! Or is it just your teacher and the principal?

Whatever. Anyway, cheer up chum! Only a month to go!

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:Weapons, Why yes. Think snooker ball in a sock. ouch.

Teenagers do have a hard time of asking anything politely. I know, I used to be a mouthy teenager a few years ago. I was right, they were wrong, I was being oppressed, yada yada yada...

In my experience, get clever with someone, and they will prove their point by not backing down.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

Page: 12