Forums > Social Chat > 1 poi, 1 staff, anyone for tennis?

Login/Join to Participate

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey all...againOwww, second post. I was wondering if anybody out there has any tricks thatthey do with poi in one hand and staff in the other. As of late, since myboyfriend and I made new staffs which are nice and light. I have decided totake up using poi in the left hand and staff in the right hand. I haven'ttried it on fire yet, because only two weeks ago I coped a nice blow to theside of the face and then later that night to my nose, which *really* hurt.I can do some tricks, I am not that fluent with the staff alone, to which Iam predominately a righty. However I find it much better when I have a poiin my left hand. It makes me trace out and I become a lot more fluid sinceI tend to do a lot of poi moves which I thought wasn't possible to do witha staff. At present the thing I would *really* like to do, is after havinga poi twirl, is put down one poi, then with my toes, flick up the staffcatch it and begin to twirl with one poi and the staff. This is pretty damnhard to do, but I am getting it.However, I feel slightly limited with the moves you can do with one poi andone staff. I can't work out how to go circular yet, as I tend to get mystaff wrapped in an awkward position around my back I can't get out off. Ireally need to practice some more staff moves.What I was going to ask, if anyone out there is learning this? My boyfriend(who incidentally is on HOP too smile ) has suggested that maybe a club is theway to go, so you have just a bit more control then with poi. Since withclub you can drop it into you hand and control it more, since with poi youare solely relying on the momentum to keep you going, which occasionallymakes you get a little stuck and in a bit of a pickle smileThanks,Katinca------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
whoa...That sounds entirely possible, but I think that it would be a lot more dangerous to do with fire.Poi and staff are two different things, I donno if I'd have to guts to try and combine them.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Hmm, club is probably the better way to go, as you said, u rely on the momentum of the poi, and i dunno about u, but trying to co-ordinate momentum and circluar motion in one hand while the other is spinning a staff would have me stumped!Id be very interested in seeing how its done smileMaybe u should come to Byron with us next weekend with me, Flashfire and finn and Josh will be there! Could give us a taste@!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
hehehe, derrrr (frenzie slaps forehead)see u there!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -