• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Technical Discussion > simple specs, hard to duplicate

Login/Join to Participate

sightfuleyes
BRONZE Member since Jan 2007

Total posts: 4
Posted:Hello, this is my first time posting here. A friend of mine reffered me to here. If this is not the right place for a question like this, I apologize. A few weeks ago I was attending an event where I saw a young man spinning but not in a manner I had seen before. He had two strings attached to the center and at that point were 2 LED lights pointed in opposite directions. He Then proceded to spin this between his hands in a circular motion. Palms facing eachother and spinning in a manner that made the lights spin with centrifigual force. What I am trying to figure out is how to set this up. He showed me what he did but I am having a real hard time remembering how he tied it all together. All I remember was there were zipties involved. Any help here at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

Delete Topic

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:Er...
3 things spring to mind - all of which are probably wrong smile

1) The buzzsaw move with poi?
2) Chi-ball on strings?
3) Hyperloop buzzsaws?

The bit that throws me is "He had two strings attached to the center and at that point were 2 LED lights pointed in opposite directions"
Attached to the centre of what?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

sightfuleyes

Posted:This was really hard for me to explain. Ok, imagine two strings one attached to either hand. Tie the loose ends of the strings together and you get one long string from one hand to the other. At that knotconnecting the two strings, are 2 LEDs. Does that help out?

Delete

Seye
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Seye

Geek

Total posts: 1261
Posted:as in...

hand-------lights--------hand

there was a video of someone doing this with fire a while ago.

Salza make fire ones...

Non-Https Image Link

their site is http://www.salza.se

Delete

sightfuleyes

Posted:That is the premise I was talking about. I have tried to put it together myself but it never stays secure.

It is just like that diagram you put up, plus there are 2 lights in the center, each pointing in opposite directions.

Delete

FIREBOY4209
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

FIREBOY4209

The lone Fire Spinner

Total posts: 236
Posted:I think these are called fire orbs. Only the ones I know of use thin metal wire to give the elusion of the fire floating and moving between the hands.
Give me some time to think about it and I will see if I can come up with a simple desighn that would work. I would do it now but at the moment I'm suffering from a cold and practically falling asleep at the computer. frown
I wil get back to you as soon as I can.

To play it safe is not to play

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:with LED's? sound quite like astrojax

biggrin cool fun and now in GLOW wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:yeah i was thinking astrojax when i read the first post. that pic looks strange to me.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

the_mods_stole_my_name
SILVER Member since May 2006

the_mods_stole_my_name

travelling without moving

Total posts: 1286
Posted:somebody had a glow version of this at the last Falmouth, they're pretty cool.

Heilige Scheie, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:Option 2: Chi ball on strings it was biggrin

I love being right wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

acidchild
BRONZE Member since Jun 2006

acidchild

Total posts: 117
Posted:It's an orbit! Not hard to make either. I'll tell how.

Materials needed are:
2 LED photon lights (could do 3 or 4)
1 ziptie
braided nylon string (some thicness is good)
electrical tape (optional)

Take the two photons and place back to back. place the ziptie through the two holes and tighten. then measure two legnths of string (about double your forearm should be good). Take one legnth of string and place one end of string through each hole, pull them through and tie the ends together. Now repeat last steep with the other legnth of string going the other direction. Now wrap the electrical tape around the photons over where you ziptied them together this will hold it all in place nicely.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

Delete

sightfuleyes

Posted:That was way to easy acidchild. Thanks for the help everyone.

Delete