Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I just saw a commercial for one, and I know they are starting to carry them at alot of our local stores.

In the commercial it says to talk with your kids about drugs, and show them that you have the test as a way to let them know you care.

As a parent, I am really on the fence. I am not my son's friend. I am there to guide him to making healthy choices, so in that scope, having that is kind of like saying "I don't trust you and I suck as a parent. Here, pee in this cup."

On the other hand, I know that my parents instilled a bit of fear in me, which really did play out when I was making choices as I was growing up. In that scope, just having this might have some effect.

However, were I ever asked to use it, I would have been HIGHLY offended. I mean...over the top (because that's how I was).

So, at home drug testing as a parental tool.

What do you think?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quite honestly, NYC, my bio teacher did blood tests in class with us as an example.
All different kinds.
My parents thought it was great.
I found it captivating that he did it right along with us.
Our school Chem teacher who had that period off very often joined us.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

It's really not my place to mix personal and professional lives. I don't think parents would appreciate it. I don't think other teachers would appreciate it.

I have a role in their lives and once you start blurring roles I think each role becomes less effective.

My first thought is that, as-

Written by: NYC

I wish I could show my students the results of my drug/alcohol tests. They don't believe me because I listen to techno and live in 'the city.'

it would seem that you've told them you don't take drugs, and it's that telling that would constitute a mixing of personal and professional?

Whereas, showing them the test results is only proving that which you've told them.

As you've seen some value in telling them, I don't see why harm would be caused by giving them proof that you told the truth.

-----

My second thought is to wonder why you're having drug tests- perhaps it's a condition of your job? If so, then I guess there could be issues about revealing the results to students; maybe there'd be contractual issues?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's all about the size of the issue.

There's a huge difference between a throw off comment while we're off topic talking about the chemistry of drugs and stopping the class to put my blood test results on an overhead.

I'm sure there are some situations where that would be appropriate. I'm sure there are some schools in which students have that relationship with their teachers and it's encouraged.

I am not in one of those situations.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I do drug tests every three months as part of my medical and virtually every time I visit a minesite. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I would be more than willing to do them on my children; they live in my house living off my money then they play by my rules.

They're not perfect though, if it's the sort I do then codeine shows up as a nasty, plus large amounts of poppyseed will give a false positive reading. I had a thing somewhere with all the innocuous chemicals that give positive drug readings on those tests.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Eera

they live in my house living off my money then they play by my rules.

Just because they live with you doesn't mean you own them.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
But I have every right to do what *I* think is best for them.

addict
449 posts

Posted:

But I have every right to do what *I* think is best for them.

Yes and doing what's best for them takes an understanding of how what you do will affect them on the inside as well as the outside.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
first with most of these tests it doesn't matter these tests are not the ones that you get for work or for police investigations. they do not give positives as accurately.
second, if you think you need to drug test them, then you probably do. This does not include the over-protectives. living down here (milwaukee)hearing how young some of these people started would make any one over protective over offspring

if the child is doing drugs, catching it early will help their insides more than saying "i respect my child's privacy" that is such censored
my use is still haunting me because i got involved with the wrong people, and i wasn't that far into it. i was in my 20's versus the teenager who is going through a personality conflict

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Irrespective of what they may feel, if I'm legally responsible for them, I'm going to ensure they're not doing things for which I am held liable to the very best of my ability.

To take what Pele has said; we are not our children's friends, we are their authority figures. If you live under my roof, you do what I say. Period.

What you do when you are of an age and living elsewhere is up to you.

Maybe I could take them to see a bloke I lived with at university who is periodically institutionalised for trying to hack off his spiders legs after a bed acid trip that he's never come down from. Or maybe I can show them the burn scars from when I was attacked by someone off his head who tried to set fire to me because he thought it would be cool to see what I would do.

If I can realise that "it will never happen to me" is a really bloody stupid thing to think, I will be satisfied.

addict
449 posts

Posted:

Irrespective of what they may feel, if I'm legally responsible for them, I'm going to ensure they're not doing things for which I am held liable to the very best of my ability.

For which YOU are held liable? This makes you sound as if you only want to cover your own ass.

To take what Pele has said; we are not our children's friends, we are their authority figures. If you live under my roof, you do what I say. Period.

What you do when you are of an age and living elsewhere is up to you.

If they're not old enough to be able to make that decision to move out, its even more important that you them treat as human beings and with respect. Yes, parents have lots of power; we've established that. But it's how this power is used/abused that matters.

While you may be an authority figure, this doesn't mean that your relationship can't have some of the characteristics of a friendship, eg. the ability to chat heart-to-heart. Heart-to-heart chats are a much better drug-diversion tactic that drug-testing.

Maybe I could take them to see a bloke I lived with at university who is periodically institutionalised for trying to hack off his spiders legs after a bed acid trip that he's never come down from. Or maybe I can show them the burn scars from when I was attacked by someone off his head who tried to set fire to me because he thought it would be cool to see what I would do.

If I can realise that "it will never happen to me" is a really bloody stupid thing to think, I will be satisfied.

We're not discussing whether drugs are bad here, that is a seperate topic. We're discussing whether drug tests are a good method of drug aversion.

Its actually likely that drug tests will cause MORE drug use. The reasons that a teenager takes drugs are quite complicated. If the kid doesn't feel like they're getting any love and respect at home, they're more likely to go out, hang out with friends who they can feel more comfortable with, and end up doing drugs. Also this could be a form of rebellion.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
That is actually a good point. I was accused at school of dealing some sort of random pill when I was completely innocent. (The tablets had actually been passed around by a miss goodie girl whose dad was a doctor...)

I was mildly curious about it all though and thought "may as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb" and went pretty much straight out and scored some grass.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
when children make irresponsible choices the children suffer and the parents do to
not only that but around here if your kids mess up you end up paying large fines

not all parents can afford this, what happens then, i don't know

have a drug test in the house, have it looming over them, maybe don't even tell them just leave where they can find it
hehe really mess with them because they are waiting for a talk that will hopefully never come

teenagers don't need drugs and alcohol. they have enough going on, messing with them
hell, in twenties, i'm still trying to sort things out

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

really mess with them because they are waiting for a talk that will hopefully never come

Because that's exactly what confused teenagers need. To be messed with. *rolls eyes*

The FadeSILVER Member
fading happily....
212 posts

Posted:
theres waaay too much here now to give a belated reply to everything i would like to, but id just like to clarify in my initial post where i said

"the day my mother said "i want you to take a drug test" after arguing with me about wether or not i was doing speed was the day i replied with "fine, and when the results prove that im not on drugs i will be needing to borrow your car so i can move all my sh*t out of your house"

was not an example of my idea of healthy child/parent conflict resolution, but rather an example of how an angry and hurt 16 year old could/did respond to being asked to take a drug test. as i said in my initial post, it could be possible to raise the issue in a tactful and respectful manner to your child and so avoid this type of response. i was merely pointing out that a teenager isnt always going to think of things from the parents point of view, unless the topic is broached carefully.

We walk light
Down the wires
Higher than weather baloons
Empty hearts on fire...

Page: