Newest : Fire Poi at Drums Beach:

(22/6/07)

My COL2006 entry

EDITED_BY: Poiboy (1182798118)

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Nice vid and thanks for sharing it. Lovely play in a nicely dramatic location.

Could've been a bit better lit (background light, not just your monster heads), your overall flow could've been dancier and a few glitches could've been removed (hyperloop) but I think it's nicely played - and probably would have made Col 1-5 easily.

I can only guess that Col is becoming now more about show and variety, i.e. multi-player choreos with differenty toys, show costumes etc.
That will make it hard for a single poier to get on - those who made the last cols have been truly breathtaking and shown something "unseen" before in terms of tricks, flow, style, location ...

So you're on the right path and don't let the bad luck disillusion you ...

Also a big shalom and love and peace to the middle east ...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Thanks for sharing the vid. What I could make out from that vid was that you looked a bit uncomfortable with the poi, like you weren't familiar with the weight or they were too heavy or somesuch. The reason I say that is cause there's a bit of plane loss, hesitations, momentum breaks and overall stiffness. Also, the lighting as ZeroG pointed out. The strobiness of it is rather distracting after a while.

Keep it up, there's good stuff in there. But competition for the CoL prize (specially what it was at for 2006) is going to be extremely tough, and getting moreso each year.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
I liked it
the only thing that buged me a bit is that it was a bit blurry hug

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ZeroG

I can only guess that Col is becoming now more about show and variety, i.e. multi-player choreos with differenty toys, show costumes etc.
That will make it hard for a single poier to get on - those who made the last cols have been truly breathtaking and shown something "unseen" before in terms of tricks, flow, style, location ...

Written by: Suibom

Keep it up, there's good stuff in there. But competition for the CoL prize (specially what it was at for 2006) is going to be extremely tough, and getting moreso each year.

I think that it's always worth putting in an entry if you've got a camera and the desire to do so.

As many have found, putting in an entry to COL generally involves a lot more than would first seem- getting decent footage, editing it, dealing with the inevitable technical difficulties, sorting out music/permission etc, etc.

For that reason alone, I'd advise anyone with the desire to enter to do so, even if they're concerned that their current standard may be lower than they'd like- even if they don't get on the final DVD, they'll get a lot of practice at the equally important things listed above.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
the music kinda [censored] up the whole thing. i thought the beggining DJ's at myspace would be glad to have their stuff published. guess i was wrong... so it took me about 2 months getting music. and then i had about 2 weeks to build a routine and a week to edit it and i still sent it at the last minute. (i also noticed i was kinda stiff there, i either werent comfortable with my routine, or the music was just too calm for me to spin to.) anyway next year ill try contacting some israeli artists to get music. and about the background light, we tried to light a few small candles but the wind blew them out very quickly. (the place used to be fort and is next to a beach, so its pretty windy)
 Written by:

Also a big shalom and love and peace to the middle east ...

thanks dude. hug
and thanks kitty hug
appreciate everyone's comments, ill certainly try to work on those things. im generally working on acrobatics to put into my routine (the end of my routine with a friend is gonna be sick)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I liked it, but I want a higher res version . I'll echo what's already been said, and suggest you edit out the "moves" that you're not comfortable with because without those, there is an overall sense of flow which i find quite appealing.

Try tiki torches instead of candles, or even small fires burning behind the camera in order to reduce the strobing effect.Other than that, I liked the location smile

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
really nice thats an amazing location really like the way the light bonces off the wall

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
*Added Fire Poi at Drums beach video*