Page:
krcmarnewbie
3 posts

Posted:

Hi,

I'm a journalist in California and I'm working on a story about spinning Poi for the Los Angeles Times. In LA alone there have been a few "How-To" DVDs released recently and at least one of the producers wants to bring Poi to the masses. I'm looking to speak with folks who are both behind this and against it. If you would like to weigh in and maybe chat on the phone briefly about it, please IM me.

Cheers,

Steve

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Theres a huge thread about thi son here somewhere already - Have a search and you may find it smile

I think you'll find that most people on here a a bit apathetic when it comes to this topic.

Typical conversations go something like:

So do you think spinning is becomming more mainstream?
Maybe?
What do you think about it?
shrug

I'm sure you'll get an answer out of someone though smile

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Hey krcmar,

Some of these might help you out...

[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: arsn

Hey krcmar,

Some of these might help you out...

[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

Cheers smile

I was trying to do that but it wouldnt let me search. rolleyes

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
is poi becoming mainstream?

are breaks dead?

ubblol

yes more and more people are taking up spinning, but not all of them are sticking to it. its biggest positive it has over sport is that it can be done with relitively little equiptment anywhere you want in groups or by yourself.

i think the move by masses to spinning reflects more people that are getting sick of the ego and 'winwinwin' mentality that so often comes with organised sports in Western Culture.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
oh, when you've written the story, would it be too much to ask you to post it in here for us to read? biggrin

thanks.

mjk.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I like winning biggrin...speaking off. You all just lost

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yes please post your article here! :jump:

Poi becoming mainstream? Naaaaaaaaaa, just because poi has finally come to L.A. and three videos "how to..." have been released... ?

Unless you see poi in at least 2 mainstream hollywood flicks, telling the story of those re-incarnated or time-warped Maori warriors, who came to Venice Beach fighting the evil red/ white uniformed spirits with their Poi and the help of twenty skateboarding, surfing and bucksnuffling buskers - I guess we're safe.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Damn you Brit Joe! I was winning for about 7 months now...

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

krcmarnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all of your help. I'm mildly surprised by the responses. From my experience, when a subcuture inches toward the mainstream or a few proponents try to push it closer toward exercise (one person I spoke with called said that one of these DVDs "seems more like Tae Bo for burners....") there's at least a small backlash. It doesn't seem that there's a negative sentiment though.

I'll post the article when it's published.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I can't wait for it to hit mainstream!

Soon as it does, I'll be all "pffft... I was doing that before it was cool"

Yay for pretentiousness!

biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: krcmar

Thanks for all of your help. I'm mildly surprised by the responses. From my experience, when a subcuture inches toward the mainstream or a few proponents try to push it closer toward exercise (one person I spoke with called said that one of these DVDs "seems more like Tae Bo for burners....") there's at least a small backlash. It doesn't seem that there's a negative sentiment though.

I'll post the article when it's published.

There was a huge backlash years ago before it went huge. The community was still small and there were a bunch of people who wanted to go pro and weren't ready. People who wouldn't watch videos but wanted to make them, stuff like that. Alot of people were really ticked by the presentious assumptions of these people that they were better than people who had been doing it pro and longer.
It cause verbal battles.

And since it's gone mainstream, there's no point in going down that road again.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I think spinning is starting to becomre big in gloucester as i help run a circus group here and the one on a wednesday night can have up to 20 people turn up to and the other day we started a fire spinning night we had bout 6or 7 older people turn up to that only 3 were from our circus on a wednesday so it is hitting the mass's in my opinion.

Mike

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I have kind of noticed that myself. You can see people doing weaves and butterflies repeatedly at virtually all the gigs you go to. LOL!

One of the reason why I started fire spinning was because of its status as an "alternative" and extreme hobby. If you asked me the same question 6 months ago, I would have seen it as a bad thing because it would lose a lot of its novelty and unique-ness. However, since then my relationship with fire-spinning has evolved and I have made a deeper connection with the art. Its coming to a stage where I appreciate it so much that I would want more people to share and enjoy the pleasure I get from fire-spinning.

I think a lot of it is down to the open-ness of the fire spinning crowd as well. There is very little snobbishness about its people and newbies are always welcomed and encouraged to participate. And at the end of the day, things like fire and glow are stylish and visually stunning.

Seye, I still remember how random people would just come up and ask us where we could learn to do what we do.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I think even though it seems big from within the community, it's not that big. I have still yet to experience mentioning that I do poi to anyone who doesn't subsequently require a lengthy explanation because they don't have a clue what I'm on about.

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
well i manged to get into a convosation the other day about doing 5 club multiplex's as it was just a random person i just met who asked bout my hobbys

baddersSILVER Member
18 posts

Posted:
I did see someone spinning on Hollyoaks the other day though! xxx

I may loose people. I may even loose my mind. But there's one thing I never loose....and that's the beat!

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
 Written by: kash

I think even though it seems big from within the community, it's not that big. I have still yet to experience mentioning that I do poi to anyone who doesn't subsequently require a lengthy explanation because they don't have a clue what I'm on about.

I agree with this.

But untill the day you randomly hear someone in line at a starbucks talking about doing a 5bt isolated weave, and have 4 other people present join into the conversation, I wouldn't call it mainstream.

iansmithmember
90 posts

Posted:
It's definitely getting bigger. When I started juggling in the mid '90's there was zero poi being done at my local club. Now you can hardly move for the buggers on some nights. It's turned into Spin City. (has to be the worst pun of the week, surely.)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
A little birdie just told me...

https://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-fire11sep11,0,1886977,full.story?coll=la-home-health

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

At least I now know Peles real name.

But jeez, journalism like that make me glad im not American so I wouldnt have to read it on a daily basis! wink

Sorry Steve, but seriously, a fair bit of that is either wrong, incorrect, or simply plain dangerous.

Spinners NEVER EVER use gasoline, light versions or not, unless they are spacktards. The fact that it burns cooler is why petrol (or gasoline) explodes!

Hence why the bit about someone extinguishing their poi makes no sence. Kerosene doesnt explode, and so it IS safe to put your fire poi out in a bucket of, if there is enough kerosene/ parafin in the bucket to totally cover the wick - No air can get to the flame once it is under the liquid so it goes out. The bucket would only catch on fire if the person putting out their wicks doesnt know how to do it properly, or is utterly oblivious to common sence.

What is a moth in the context of moves though? umm

Butterflies, moths, caterpillers and slugs. Those are all great names for moves. My favourite is still "Luke... I am your father" though...

That is something I have wondered about for ages though; you know how it (and many many other sources) says that poi were used to train males for the strentgh needed for hand to hand combat, right?

Yes, maybe if they were fighting a bunch of invading 5 year olds. Other than that, they would have gotten stronger, quicker simply by carrying buckets of water from the well. Possibly repeating it. No? shrug

Yes poi does tone you up, but not nearly enough for use in fighting. confused

And for the Americans, whats the difference between Kerosene, and light gasoline? umm

[/grumble]
EDITED_BY: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace (1158589156)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
yeah, I was a bit worried at reading about the 'light gasoline'...

don't know what it is that burns cooler and longer than kerosene..

confused what is the 'shadow-dancer' move

umm no mention of HoP there either

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
except for the first link in the "google ads" right at the bottom of the page! ubblol

I would have linked to the HOP backyard fire spinners safety video myself, seeing as people will be reading that article and deciding that they want to get into fire spinning, and will also remember the word "gasoline" from the article..... anyone see where im going with that? rolleyes frown more bad press for fire spinning. wink oh, and someone would get quite badly injured too ubbangel

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
As far as I'm concerned, poi and staff becoming mainstream can only be a good thing. The more people who understand it, the more imaginations and creativity are being directed towards it, and more interesting stuff will emerge. Admittedly, many people won't progress weave and butterfly variations, but that will make the icrease the appreciation for and recognition the truely exceptional.

And maybe more people will know the difference between a good fire show and a bad one, meaning those who are exceptional can be paid what they deserve.

Maybe shrug

Not a spinner!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

whats the difference between Kerosene, and light gasoline?

a quick bit of fractional distillation at 150 and 275 degrees celcius? wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
well, I suppose we did just pass him on to links to stuff that had already been discussed, so maybe he didn't like that... and HoP is quite Oz/NZ/UK-centered anyways, I don't know if the other sites are much better for the States.

I was wondering about the light gasoline, too.

Oh, and I doubt it's a good recommendation to do poi when wearing a wrist support for repetitive stress (given that I tried it and it actually really really didn't help...!).

Apart from that I don't think the article's that bad, it's a nice introduction (especially with burning man just past) for people who don't know anything about poi, links to some resources and as Jon said gives us Pele's real name smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
That article has made me mad, sad and not at all glad.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
This article is more of a p*** take out of us then a help invite only yeah right.

Putting poi out in kersone that exploded i wonder why

It seemed to give to much credit to burning man as well sure it should of been mentioned but were was everything else i reckon we should complain

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
Only people who actually enjoy poi will keep on doing it. If it is just fashion, i doubt people who just follow fashion will keep at it, therefore no chavs on HoP. Yay!

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
if they do come lets all rebel and chuck sticks at um

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
umm

yeah....

They may look at you oddly virtually throwing virtual sticks at them.

They would probably reply in text speak too, making all their points of view and opinions uttery irrelevant anyway wink

Written by: Birgit

I suppose we did just pass him on to links to stuff that had already been discussed, so maybe he didn't like that...

What? Mr Krcmar didnt like the links that Arsn gave him... because they answered his question and made the thread that he had just made redundant? umm confused

Written by: Birgit

it's a nice introduction...for people who don't know anything about poi

ubblol

Sorry, did the bit suggesting using Gasoline for fuel totally pass you by? Birgit ( hug2 ), this is NOT a good introduction to poi for beginners. People could get seriously injured after reading the article, who incorrectly assume they are using the correct fuel.

shrug
EDITED_BY: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace (1158609543)

Page: