Page:
krcmarnewbie
3 posts

Posted:

Hi,

I'm a journalist in California and I'm working on a story about spinning Poi for the Los Angeles Times. In LA alone there have been a few "How-To" DVDs released recently and at least one of the producers wants to bring Poi to the masses. I'm looking to speak with folks who are both behind this and against it. If you would like to weigh in and maybe chat on the phone briefly about it, please IM me.

Cheers,

Steve

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I didn't criticise Arsn, but Mr. Krcmer seemed to be after talking to people in personal... he might not have liked reading up on old links. I don't know! I know *I* didn't talk to him because I'm just not really bothered, and don't really know enough of the spinning scene to give him any interesting stories, I'm just one of the people who started after it was already way too mainstream for lots of the "oldskoolers" on here wink

It didn't pass me by, but it's not an instruction, it's a bit of background and it links to sites and names people who are responsible, it even mentions a place that is directed at fire safety. I mean, come on, if I see a newspaper article on tightrope walking 100 feet above the ground I won't go and try it straight away and then blame a writer if he got the knot for the rope wrong and it comes undone. I'll get in touch with the circus school groups listed in the appendix first. Or say you find an article on deep-sea diving in a "normal" newspaper - would you go and buy exactly that equipment and dive right in without asking a proper instructor?? If anyone reads the article and sets poi on fire first thing then they'll probably get hurt with kero or paraffin, too wink

I did point out earlier that I'd been wondering about the gasoline, too, but I was more referring to the article in general, that it gives a nice introduction of some of the things that are going on, what a spin feels like etc... since I assume the LA times is aimed at LA I'm not too bothered by him concentrating on Burning Man and the LA scene either.

I do realise everyone here is concerned about safety. It's a good thing, keep it up. But this is a newspaper article, not an instruction, by a random who's prone to making a mistake and in my opinion did a good job of describing someone's feeling at a first spin, for example, and conferring some enthusiasm for poi, mainstream or no. So I'll give him some credit for that. If anyone feels the need to let him and LA times know that gasoline is not the best choice of fuel, go ahead!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Here, take this elephant shaped bong that Smallboy once gave me.

ubbrollsmile hug2
EDITED_BY: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace (1158612011)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
received hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I quite enjoyed that article, and didn't Spinning in Paris include a Fox news guy talking about poi becoming mainstream, three years ago ?

Anyways, light gasoline could just be a local term for white gas, a fuel we all know and love over here on this side of the pond. Anybody new to these arts is going to run into it as an option and may just do their first burn with it. White gas should be treated like gasoline, at least that's what it says on the can.

Putting out your poi in your fuel is a Thailand thing ( you know, the country that claims to have invented firespining ) and works fine with a 20 liter bucket of lamp oil, it's when you bring that 'habit' back to North America and try it with white gas that you'll experience a problem, This is what MAY have happened to cause the explosion, but the only way to find out for sure is to email the guy who made the statement.

Same goes for the "moves" described. Those could also be local terms too. If I were the one writing that article, I'd want to keep it as locally oriented as I could too

10 000 spinners in LA ? I wonder why more of them aren't on HOP?

miestamember
101 posts

Posted:
im not the biggest fan of poi and staff, too many people play it, its so common and getting boring (unless your really good). personally i rather other toys.
ah well, just my little whinge! ubblol

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
it was a fair effort for someone who knew nothing about what they were writing about. i remember in College we wrote storys about hockey and such where we had no idea and i think this one was about the same quality. i think it would've been much better if the times had had one of us write it smile

we can put our wicks out in Kero safely with supermarket kero in Australia.

all in all i'm disappointed that the guy bothered to join HoP but failed to write a decent article when there was so much availible to him.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

10 000 spinners in LA ? I wonder why more of them aren't on HOP?

They're on tribe rolleyes

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
The people on tribe are retarded. They talked about using gasoline for fuel.

I refuse to post there.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Page: