Forums > Technical Discussion > i have made my own poi for under £1.50

Login/Join to Participate

kopte4evernewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I am on a scout trip this week as a leader, and the scouts seem to be mesmorised by the fire poi. anyway i want them to have a go so i made my own. [not the fire tough]

I have made 3 sets of poi all for under £4.50

Tennis ball 50p each and some climbing cord [4mm]. 35p per m

i have made a hole throught the ball and threaded the rope through.

for 1 set of poi at £1.50 you really cant get better.

anyone else made there own, as this is fantastic for all you skint people out there.

EDITED_BY: kopte4ever (1152049114)

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
If you go to a fishing tackle shop, you can get the swivels too - i got some online, like 100 for £4 or something. Then you can get split rings (like on keyrings) and webbing for handles from a sewing shop and voila, everything you need! Dont let those scouts get into fire though - you'll never be able to extinguish them!

Tomorrows World isnt on anymore...Does that mean its tomorrow now?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Pair of socks and rice... free depending on how clean you want things :P.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Yes, but if you use rice then leave them lying on the grass outside the tent all night (!), then the rice first goes hard, then later horribly stinky....;)

Tomorrows World isnt on anymore...Does that mean its tomorrow now?

kopte4evernewbie
3 posts

Posted:
not letting scouts get anyware near fire poi.

Rice sounds messy if you mess it up.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
My poi are just long socks with rolled up socks inside. Saves the head smashings!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

peggalicousmember
26 posts

Posted:
1 long webbed key chain 1$ = 2 handles i cut em up and sewed them back to my liking
my daughters tamagatchie rings = free shhh dont tell
tennis balls x3 = 1.99$ tried dollar store ones but weights are dif frown
12 ft of nylon braided cord =1.80$
2 lil mini flashilghts with small swivles =2$ and my daughter keeps the flashights smile

just under 7$ CAD plus 14 % tax and im well on my way to a solid concussion lol

fickleSILVER Member
41 posts

Posted:
I have juggling balls (donated froma friend) in some long socks I got as a present but never wear. I find the weight of juggling balls much easier to learn with.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Hey Kopte

I'm a scout leader from Manchester we found a great way of getting poi made, remember the tony the tiger haki sacs that were free a while ago? We bought 220 for £2.00 from costco, just tell the scouts to bring some socks and throw the balls at them!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
two dog leshes 2.50,tool boxand my owen teddebears sale buck each. made mine then the t balls came in after1.20 for 3

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever tried using thick tights rather than socks? They don't have a heel and are longer, so I recon they might work spectacularly well.

Crisisnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Scubi bands + Glowstick or dead glowstick for practice.
Comes in at a couple of quid.
Best is to use two sticks for each poi. Glowchucks ftw.

[/end geek]

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: kash

Has anyone ever tried using thick tights rather than socks? They don't have a heel and are longer, so I recon they might work spectacularly well.

No, they dont. But they do have a lot of bounce which is rather annoying to spin with.

Plus I dont wanna ruin my fishnet tights wink

firepheonix59BRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
yeah, i've found that the sock poi with rice gets to smelling a bit funky after a while, unless you keep them completely dry.

mine got wet, and then sat out in the sun.

i ended up with poi that had partially cooked rice.

ewww.

don't do it.

hahahaha.

"be true to you and screw labels"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I use (unpopped) popcorn rather than rice because the 'grains' are bigger and consequently don't pack together so tightly which means it hurts less when you hit yourself.

Try wrapping your grain in a plastic bag (ones designed for the freezer are best because they tend to be thicker) and tie a know in the end. Stops 'em going off! Be careful not to leave too much air in the bag though or you'll probably pop it the first time you hit youself. Too little air and it will be more painful though... it's all about balance wink

Cake or Death?

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
sparkly socks from matalan,
rice and clingfilm from the pantry
estimated cost £1.05
you can't go wrong!

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

zamiriiBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
for my glow poi i used football socks and these flashing led glow balls i got at the local grocers for $1 apiece.

the fire poi i made from link chain & quicklinks from the hardware store with #4/0 swivels from the fishing shop. the heads are shredded 100% cotton tees wrapped in baling wire wink

saving up for monkeyhead poi though!!! (cause saving for my gf's ring is taking priority wink )

Every Day I add another name to the list of people who piss me off

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Melemel

Yes, but if you use rice then leave them lying on the grass outside the tent all night (!), then the rice first goes hard, then later horribly stinky....;)

nah rice isnt too bad for that... penuts is what you gotta watch out for
Non-Https Image Link

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Melemel

Thats why you use lentils inside a balloon instead. They don't get wet that way.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

AavaniBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
My buddy used to make his own fire poi (I just got him a set of monkey fists w/ ball chain for his b-day). He would use shoestrings for handles some thin chain, and cotton cut into strips and fold it over an eye bolt. It looked very much like a cathedral wick but would only burn 8-10 times before the wicks would get too small to use. chain was about $1.20, shoestrings $1, 1 yard of cotton material $2 and the eye bolts where 0.50...$4.70 for a set of poi was awesome but so damn annoying making the wicks. Since I got my new wicks (probably 2 weeks) I would have roasted at least one wick....maybe two.

Hooray for Kevlar:P

Matt Goehler
~eoipoi~
rope dart