Forums > Social Chat > poi on ebay - good idea?

Login/Join to Participate

surefireflynewbie
6 posts

Posted:
should i buy firepoi on ebay? the ad says they're brand new, and in the picture they sure look brand new, and after shipping are only like 12 bucks!! ... can ebay be trusted??? the item description says they're professional chains with kevlar wicks...? boy would i like them... ubbrollsmile

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
They'll be new if the wicks are yellow, but $12 sounds suspiciously cheap. I'd be wary on quality. what's the picture like?

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
Put up a link for us if you dont mind please. Ebays cant usually be trusted, especially at prices that low smile

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

surefireflynewbie
6 posts

Posted:
basically they look like the ones you can buy online at this site!! except the handles have 2 loops (which i like cause i made some practice soft ones with yarn handles and i keep accidentally letting go and they fly into the air LOL)

the description in full is "Set of 1 pair (2 chains) brand new Handcrafted fire Poi /chains. With 2 new cathedral Wicks 2" X 2" wide. Chain is 1/8" thick and 16" long. Wicking is professional grade heavy duty kevlar blend. Finger grips are 1/2" wide leather with a two finger design. Swivels in between chain and handles for maximum performance. These fire poi are brand new."

surefireflynewbie
6 posts

Posted:
ebay item # 9520021313

and when i said 12, i'm assuming that's the highest i'll bid if i get outbid... right now it's at $1.04 and $5.50 for shipping (!!!)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Link for the lazy
smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well, now that you've drawn everyone's attention to it, the price will surely rise well above the $12 range. wink

I would never buy a firetoy from ebay.

I'd either make em or buy them from a shop that I trusted greatly. And they absolutely positively do not look like the ones they sell on this site.

Keep in mind, you can easily get supercheapo firepoi from thailand for like $5. They'll break and you'll die but you'll save money. wink

If you are buying your first set of poi (which it sounds like these are) then you'll certainly buy them, see what you like and don't like about them, and then buy/make ones you really like.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
i would but them here. guaranteed quality. and 2x2 is tiny fire heads.

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

ArnwynSILVER Member
old hand
1,065 posts

Posted:
You should buy your fire poi - infact all you fire needs - from here! Support the poeple who bring you so much more than an online shop!
smile

L&L
The Fairy God Mother
~*~

" i just now need some other unsuspecting suckers to say something... " ~Rouge Dragon

"that wink was a nice one not a im going to thrust at you wink" ~Brettstar

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

bounce

surefireflynewbie
6 posts

Posted:
well, hey, if i lose the bid, i'll let it go - cause i start work next week anyway and im gonna need a little reward for my first paycheck !!!!

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
ok, so i know this is a bit off topic (soz) but, does anyone know how true his comments on ball chain are ?

*produces sandwich- is happy*

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Looked at the add...that chain looks like bad quality....my friend had a chain like that and the links tend to open up!

IMO I wouldn't buy it...but that's just my opinion.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Boz

ok, so i know this is a bit off topic (soz) but, does anyone know how true his comments on ball chain are ?

Like anything it depends on the quality. And you should always check your gear before you light up no matter what chain you're using if you want to aviod setting your audience alight. you do, however, need to be careful only to soak your wicks and not the chains in the fuel, because the balls fill up with fuel too and splash it everywhere

i have ball chains that i bought from here... and what he said about other chains spinning as smoothly if you put a swival on them... that's definately rubbish wink ball chains are the rockingest smooth fliers! (that's my story and i'm sticking to it.) they look heaps prettier too ubblove

EDIT: I thought i'd read an article on here about ball chains, and i was right, here you go: Article about ball chains
EDITED_BY: FoxInDocs (1147943272)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Fire poi from e-bay *scoffs* NO NO NO!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

There have been plenty of discussions of ball chains. You should search them. Suffice it to say that most high level poi spinners use ball chain. And of course, you'll have folks that disagree.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:

Ball chain is inherently a weaker design than standard chain, but good quality ball chain should not break under the tension from poi. The problem I have with ballchain is that it absorbs a lot of heat and burns skin more easily than normal chain, (I do a lot of wraps near the head).

Written by: Medusa

Looked at the add...that chain looks like bad quality....my friend had a chain like that and the links tend to open up!

IMO I wouldn't buy it...but that's just my opinion.

There's no way you can tell a chain's quality from a pic like that. Any normal chain is fine for poi, let's face it there's not a lot of force on them compared to what chains are designed to withstand. The links shouldn't even be split in the first place.

Personally I'd make em, as I like to know exactly what's up with my gear, but you can't even buy practice heads & spare swivels for that price so I'd buy it anyway. If you can pull apart/ cut the chain in less than a few minutes with a pair of pliers, it's not strong enough.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
The type of chain that is pictures there is the type that I have seen split before, hence my view that they are not good quality...

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
As far a ebay goes I will generally check through feedback, read up on any negative ones. Look up the last items sold. If the person seems to sell a lot of the one type of thing then there is a higher probability of trustworthyness. If it's a random missmatch of items then they are probably just after a quick buck by selling anything they can get their hands on.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off