• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Renaissance Spinning and Da Vinci poi... <illustrated nakedness>

Login/Join to Participate

Total posts: 47
Posted:Leonardo invented the tank, the helicopter, the double hull, the hang-glider and made major advances in astronomy, geology and physiology, as well as painting the Mona Lisa and The Last Supper.

More importantly, this...

his 'Vitruvian Man'

is one of the earliest examples of basic poi spinning and mechanics.

Of course, as he did not find time to invent the cotton stripy sock, his inspired work does not feature actual poi. That's why it's basic.

Note the square around the figure in question, clearly demonstrating the concept of planes.

Next, note the perfect circle around the figure, a single, long arm spin in the front wall plain.

Interestingly, the two different positions of the arms suggest an attempt at a long arm butterfly, maybe even a stab at opposite-way flowers. Obviously, during the Renaissance, poi spinning was limited to large, basic arms movements.

Maybe it was Da Vinci's heavy robes restricting the movement.

Finally, notice the inclusion of nakedness. Clearly, even though actual technique is sadly lacking, it seems the need to divest ones' self of clothing was already deeply ingrained in spinning culture.

EDITED_BY: Ravenhill (1145673851)

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi

Total posts: 625
Posted:ubblol I like u man! Looks like anti spin wink Damn i need four arms! ubblol biggrin

Total posts: 48
Posted:well if it had to be naked, then the robes would not be a limiting factor. =P

sweet theory though, i like it.

Just call me Pop.

Mags The Jedi
Mags The Jedi

Total posts: 2020
Posted:Joss, you're so silly, but I love ya anyway. smile Better than tesla poi!

When are you back in Foulmouth?

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Total posts: 380
Posted:i dunno. spinning poi with 4 arms and 4 legs seems far from "basic" to me...

Total posts: 48
Posted: Written by: Mags The Jedi

Joss, you're so silly, but I love ya anyway. smile Better than tesla poi!

When are you back in Foulmouth?

em.........are you talking to me? or is there someone else called Joss around here?

Just call me Pop.

HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:Vitruvian man remake by the point of spinning:

(image not available)

Mcp, I think they are four.

now comes with skydiving license
Total posts: 1627
Posted:Erm. Interesting theory...
I like it! smile

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

Total posts: 3149
Posted:Robots make everything cooler. FACT.

Non-Https Image Link

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Rouge Dragon
Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here
Total posts: 13215
Posted:I'm so amused that this thread warns people of illustraed nakedness! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Total posts: 1711
Posted:Monkey, that is F***ing genius, thankyou biggrin