Forums > Videos > Creative Commons licensed music for videos

Login/Join to Participate

Alioshamember
57 posts

Posted:
I was doing a little research on my own, since I am planning a couple of vides and tutorials (knowing myself, they'll probably be ready by 2020), and I decided to share.

Now: I want music in my videos, and I don't want to do anything illegal. Or, well, I don't want to do anything illegal with my name on it; better said, I don't want to do anything illegal and then end up with big people with menacing suitcases in front of my door.

So: the answer (or, one of the many possible answers) is Creative Commons licensed music.

With at least a license that allows me to build on the work; since for the moment I am not planning to SELL my videos, at most I am planning to get gigs with them, the "no commercial" tag is not useful.

Places to search:

Creative Commons search (of course)

Google advanced search (with the option of the kind of licence)

Yahoo! creative commons search (seems quite crap, to me; and I WORKED at Yahoo!, during the dot com crash; sigh)

What I found (keep in mind, I was mostly looking for trance, or didgeridoo, or electro):

Jamento, Open your ears (seems cool, it's tagged à la del.ico.us, and I had no problems downloading)

ccMixter (dunno, I could not find much here, maybe it's me)

ARTISTserver (seems interesting)

Hermann Uwe (this place has some music with CC tags)

Jonix (I am not sure I like this)

---EDIT---

How could I forget, the origin of the idea?

Ipac Campaign Content (these people are giving free iPods to USA senators, to show them that protecting free circulation of content IS good; they stuff it with CC licensed stuff, here are the links. There is some seriously good stuff here)

---EDIT---

And this is it.

Has anyone else better links? Other ideas?

Ah, addendum : most of this clips are "share-alike": it means that, if we use the music, we HAVE to put the video with the same licence. It means, other people can build on it; seems fair to me.

EDITED_BY: Aliosha (1145451750)

---
"Angels fly because they don't take themselves too seriously"
G.C. Chesterson

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Try www.invisibleagent.com

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Alioshamember
57 posts

Posted:
Yup, I saw that link on another post (because I *did* search :-).
But:
a) I cannot find any link about license; I am not looking just for music I can listen for free, but music I can build on for free. Like, difference betweer freeware and software libre!
b) I get lost in the web site (doh!).

Thanks.

---
"Angels fly because they don't take themselves too seriously"
G.C. Chesterson

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Out of curiousity, are any of the CC licenses sufficient for CoL usage, or is the waiver form signed specifically by the music creator still necessary?

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"