Forums > Introductions > Introduction - Chris from Brissie

Login/Join to Participate

c42fSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, I've lurked around these forums for a while, but I'm feeling particularly prone to procrastination tonight, so I thought I'd actually start an intro thread smile

Hmm, letsee what about me?

Random bits & pieces:

I live in Brsbane, Australia (hey Southbank jugglers! - You probably know me as the guy with the tennis ball poi; some of you might even remember my name is Chris) Um, age - 25. Hmm, since I'm doing a physics phd at the uni of queensland, what's probably more important is that I'm 2 PhD years old (so I've got a year or so to go - arrg not enough time...)

Toys: Poi are what I origianlly picked up & I think they're still my favorite; I'm ok with single non-contact staff as well. Late last year I started juggling balls and clubs - what fun biggrin

Major twirling-type ambition ATM: I want to get good at contact staff. Actually, I've been working on finishing making a proper contact staff tonight... Exciting - it'll be much better than the old broom stick I've had for ages!

Other hobbies: oooh, lots of stuff...

* Music - piano, cello, (clarinet too once apon a time)

* Computer programming (careful talking to me about computers; I might go into linux geek mode...)

* Outdoorsy type stuff - rockclimbing & bushwalking

* Computer art

* ... I've forgotten what else wink

Hehe, there's a section in the intro suggestions called "Plans for life in general: (i.e. what you want to do when you grow up)"... Well, I suspect I'll end up in a uni somewhere doing physics research and teaching.

Edit: Reading the sticky "sample intro template" I see I left out some very important info:

[geek]

$ cat chris_spreadings.txt | egrep -i '(vegemite|marmite|nutella)'

Vegemite all the way! Die marmite freaks :P

[/geek]

See yas all 'round!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the Madhouse! ubbloco

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hey mr hug welcome to hop!

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Heya Chris! Good to see you here finally! Welcome to HoP wave biggrin! Catching you tomorrow I'm guessing?

c42fSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
Wow this forum is alive, greetings people smile Hmm, I can see this forum being a huge time sink...

Ry: yup, I'm aching for a spin, juggle etc... see you there. I just finished fixing some new juggling clubs and should hopefully be finished making my new contact staff tomorrow after the araldite dries. Ah, new toys are always great!

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Hey there chris~! may have run into you at some point at my stay in brissie?

welcome to hop hug

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
*Gidg bounces in on her pogo stick* ... boing ... boing ... boing ...

Welcome to HoP Chris!

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Heya Chris, welcome to HoP!

Maybe I'll catch you when I'm in Brizzie in June?

wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

c42fSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
Adya: Thanks smile I don't think I met you though - I was away a lot recently and anyway I'm somewhat sporadic when it comes to the southbank gaterings...

I've got one of my uni friends addicted to poi recently though (Tim, if you see this: it's too late for you now Mwahahahaha), so that provides a bit more motivation to get me spinning somewhere other than my backyard.

Gidg: Hey!

Bird: Cool - AFAIK I'll be around in June

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
wave hiya! welcome to the nuthouse! ubbloco enjoy your stay!! biggrin

hey are you coming to moonfest on friday!?!!? bounce bounce2 bounce

have fun at juggle tonight!! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

c42fSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
Hey gita! I'd love to come along on Friday... Dunno if I'll be in Brissie at easter though. Will have to see what happens.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hehe a huge time sink! That's a perfect HoP description.. one of the best I've heard ubblol

Will catch you tonight! biggrin

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Welcome Chris! So where does the interest in physics come from? (aside from being terribly useful in poi etc.)

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

c42fSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
Hi Space... Hehe, you think theoretical physics is useful for swinging poi hey? Well let me get rid of that misconception right away: it most definitely is not :P

Hmm, let's see... I could set up a Lagrangian and find some twirling equations of motion, then solve them on a computer... Now that *definietly* wouldn't help my muscles remember how to do the btb-under-the-legs-2-beat-weave I'm working on wink The only good method is good old obsessive practise!

And as to where the interest in physics comes from, that's a hard one. I guess one of the reasons I like it is that fundamental physical theories have a special kind of (mostly) logical elegance. I like exploring all the things you can get from requiring a few simple physical principles... Loving mathematics helps as well :o

c42fSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
I'm excited biggrin Some new kevlar wicking just arrived yesterday from HoP... several feet of 4 in wide 1/8 in thick stuff for my new contact staff. And here's the amazing bit: I only ordered it last Saturday - that's four buisness days to a different country. Unbelieveable!

And just in time for moonfest too (Rushes off to put finishing touches on staff). Now I can burn myself good and proper tonight... eek

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hey cool! Wasn't sure it'd get to you so quick biggrin Looking forward to seeing you on fire! devil

Oops.. your staff on fire I mean, of course.. wink

c42fSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
Hehe, my staff of course ubblol Don't believe I managed to set myself on fire yesterday - obviously wasn't trying hard enough.

I guess the mail from NZ must come through Brisbane on it's way to the rest of Australia...