Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > *postponed* Arashi's Spinning Workshops in Oz

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Promo Video

Workshop Dates

to be advised

O keep squeezing drops of the Sun

From your prayers and work and music

And from your companions' beautiful laughter

And from the most insignificant movements

Of your own holy body.

Now, sweet one,

Be wise.

Cast all your votes for Dancing!

~Hafiz~

Workshops by Arashi

note: these are guidelines and individual workshops vary by city

Things every spinner should know

Focus is on proper posture during movements, teaching body mechanics relevant to spinning, and yoga postures useful for the weapons spinner. Beginners are encouraged, as are intermediate to advanced spinners who are interested in dance, body movement, or martial arts, and want to learn more about how these arts can be integrated into their spinning style. There will be a relatively small amount of spinning in this class and it is approached much like a yoga class. Basic postures from Tai Chi, Belly dance, Kung Fu, and various ethnic dance forms will be covered, as well as an introduction to spinning basic moves while performing postures from each.

Choreography, presentation, and improvisation for spinners

Focus is on body movements, technical move families and how they interact with the body during dance, and integration of dance styles with spinning. Class will also introduce music theory, drumming and beat counts, and how they relate to poi. Fundamentals of dance improvisation and performance will be covered, as well as methods of choreographing a routine for performance or fun. Finally students will be asked to present some of their favorite dance moves and the class will then walk through some ways to integrate poi tricks into the movements. If time allows the class will then split up into groups and each will organize dance moves into a routine which will be performed together.

3Dimensional spinning and the spiritual ramifications thereof in the 21st century

Tech poi time! Focus is on fundamentals of technical spinning, specifically how the beginner and intermediate can teach themselves using the muscle memory and instinct necessary for technical poi tricks. Class will focus on as much as possible depending on the skill levels of those present, with specifics covered at the students' discretion. Examples for curricula begin with but are not limited to the following:

Isolation theory, dragon's tongue, stalls, 2D patterning (pendulums, flowers, cascades, fountains, etc.) 3D patterning (atomics, conicals, obtuse spinning, etc.) inversions, insides, trinities, box spinning, and whatever else Arashi has come across in his travels.

Individual and troupe consultations

Not a workshop normally offered at intensives- available through prearrangement. Focus is on specific choreography, building or refining solo pieces or group works for dedicated hobbyists, performance, or competition. Efforts are made to intrude as little as possible on the artist's personal style.

Bullwhips1

Safety, whip fundamentals, rolling the whip, whip length characteristics, basics of multiple cracking

Bullwhips 2

Target work, multiple cracks, patterning, double whip tricks, crossover points, trinities, moving the crack directions from the same line, fractal patterns

Beginner World Fusion Belly Dance

Basics of body isolations, posture, undulations, belly rolls, arm work, level changes, and theories in movement

Arashi Bio

Arashi aspires to combine dance, movement, trance states, and performance art to create what he calls “time sculpture.” As a lad his interest in anthropology, mythos, and art fused together and became manifest in a desire to create phenomenological experience through mythology and theater. He began exploring the world of archetypal storytelling with the study of maskmaking, maskdancing, and pupeteering. After focusing on metal/fire sculpture and puppeteering for many years, he realized that his favorite medium of puppetry and sculpture was the human body, namely his own. He was already studying martial arts as part of his meditative practice, but achieved a new passion in self expression when he began intensive study of fire dance and weapons forms and their possibilities.

He started performing with fire and dance 12 years ago, with a small family of artists and dancers who went on to be known and respected as pioneers in the U.S. in the art of combining theatrical performance art and dancing with fire weapons. He began training with bullwhips at about the same time, in 1984. 2 years later he began a love affair with chains (poi) which has plagued his social life ever since. His dance influences started with mosh pits as a teenage “punk rocker,” but he performed on stage for several years in contemporary urban improvisational styles before graduating (snicker;) to “tribal fusion” belly dance in approx. 2001.

EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1143692414)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well we're thinking like "fear factor" where you'll have to spin poi in a box filled with roaches before you can learn the butterfly hyperloop, etc. wink

yes, there will be PLENTY of BD. any excuse to show my tummy!

don't be scuuurd yo! sage is really funny. and i'm funny looking.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

*sticks head out of hiding place*

Ok, as long as there is belly dancing i'll try not to be scared...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

godavidsonBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
best excuse I have had to get a passport lately...

Tuesday, Frank Kitts Park, Wgtn

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
there are 1 million kiwis working abroad!! i loooove kiwis...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Bender... That was almost completely random.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
*nudges you in the ribs*
have a look at godavison's location

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

I did... that's why i said almost.

godavidsonBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
yeah, NZ has that small isolated suburb feeling where everybody just wants to go to the city of the world for a bit and soak it all in before coming back and having babies. smile Um, Arashi, can I skip the belly dancing bit? wink

g

Tuesday, Frank Kitts Park, Wgtn

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Yarg! Arashi's gonna be doin workshops four hours north of me, but I'd make it just in time to miss the workshop frown. Ahwell.. next year is gonna be a play hard year!

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Page: