Promethean_AdvocateBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

Well, after catching up with a few mates the other day, it was mutually agreed that I need a new nickname in honour of both my new hobby and 'the next step in life'. Anyway, apart from the obvious fire-names like Prometheus (no offence, but its a bit of a mouthful), we couldnt come up with a decent one. Any suggestions?? (Apart from Typhon)

Thanks
JD

Incendiary meditation

“Think not of the staff as being rigid, but of your mind as being that which is inflexible.”

BaccoryBRONZE Member
126 posts

Posted:
Hehehe ur not the only one...my 'tribe' have been nameless for a few months (since we were estabilished as a regular group)...go us for being able to make a decsisive creative choice...
I dunno what u would constitute 'obvious' and what sorta name you were looking for but my suggestion to you would be
Pyro-teknique...otherwise give us a few more ideas on what sorta name you'd be looking at.

35 posts

Posted:
'Pyro-teknique' - I like that, especially the double-entendre-ness about it. But I think it would fit a group better than an individual. WRT what type of name, just a fairly short, catchy nickname to do with fire or flame or whatever other than 'flameboy' or 'firedude'. Something like 'pyro' is good because its short, sharp, catchy, a bit obscure (unfortunately its massively overexposed). I dunno, maybe Im asking too much... or maybe I should just write down every fire-related word and see what I get - and if that doesnt work, translate them all into different languages rolleyes

JD

Incendiary meditation

“Think not of the staff as being rigid, but of your mind as being that which is inflexible.”

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
How 'bout "the human torch."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hokay...have to say it. Please search this. Both individuals and troupe names have been dicussed alot...and somewhat recently...like one is on the 2nd or 3rd page here.

If you come up with a name, you can go through the user list or google it to see if it is taken.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

alicewonderlandBRONZE Member
Born on a green light daddy-o!!!
126 posts

Posted:
i think don't rush it, it will come naturally like a friend will start calling you a name and it will stick...as long as it's a nice name and not something like..."nerd-face-flamer-man-" lol man i make myself laugh waaayyy too much haha, but come on it was kinda funny; yeah might be time to go to bed getting kinda silly smile oh you can go to m-w.com it's the Mirriam Webster Dictionary site and you can look things up on the thesaurus, also they have cool games (yes I am a nerd and yes I do frequent the dictionary site, i like words...so what? biggrin ) Whats really cool is you can hear it and sometimes a woman says it and sometimes a man it's cool try it.

When you're already walking on thin ice...why not dance?

126 posts

Posted:
what about like an indian name like "chief-flaming-hot-balls" or "he who has balls that swing and burn" lmao i really gotta stop, my humor is really corny and juvenile right now forgive, for real though i'm sure you have your own unique style, everyone does it's like dancing everyone does it a little different go with that, wish i knew you better smile
EDITED_BY: alicewonderland (1141188980)

126 posts

Posted:
okay i've had some sleep now and am AAOx3 (doc lightning should know what that means in nursing terms alert and oriented to person, place, and time:) so about this name i think we can help you out, lets brainstorm- what about bic like the lighter lol, or if your skinny matchstick ubblol okay nevermind for some reason i still can't be serious, i'll keep working on it for you though.... bounce2

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hows bout
"shady brûlure", brûlure being french for burn, and shady spoken in a frech accent could sound like JD. Maybe a little too pron starry?

JD Burn was/is? a poet who wrote this :
Your words
Have made a home
In my heart
Your soft
Words
Warm themselves by the flame of
Passion
Embers of which remained
Dying
Lost hope and lonliness
Extinguishing
What was once a flame
Your words
Came and fanned them
Flames reappeared
With each of
Your words
Flames grow into a raging
Fire
Fueled by your
Kindness
Tenderness
Gentleness
Your words
Give me hope of love again
Hope of love's flames
I pray they burn forever

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

126 posts

Posted:
wow that is one of the most beautiful poems i've ever read...and i've read many, i'm inspired for sure:)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
You could call yourself Teknique, and someone else could call themselves Pyro. So when your together you could intorudce yourselves as 'Pyro-teknique'

Or what about Ignis, which is latin for fire. Aduro is 'to set fire too', burn, singe, kindle or light. Or Neo ignis, which im guessing would be 'spin fire' - Neo = to spin, interweave (to spin thread and yarn).

My source https://www.24hourtranslations.co.uk/latdict.htm

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Trogdor

35 posts

Posted:
Hey all, sorry for taking so long to answer. Thanks for all the replys...I especially like Ignis suggestion, but the Neo part is a bit too matrix for me wink. But I reckon Alice is on the right track at the moment with not rushing it and letting it come naturally. I was at a house party a couple of days ago and we were throwing around a few names: Solare (which I think came from a previous post on HOP), flashpoint, Tartarus etc, but the one that stood out most or which we kept coming back to was Promethean Advocate. Which isnt by any means short and snappy, but could be shortened to The Promethean...

Anyway, I dunno. Thanks for suggestions so far, and more are welcome.

JD

Incendiary meditation

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Just steal someone else's and then claim you thought of it first. Or put "The Original" before it.

-The Original Pyrolific

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Its worth thinking in terms of.

Will people be able to spell it?

Will people that dont speak the same language get the same impact?

Will people remember it. I read somewhere that too many syllables is bad. too few. badder. Three is a good round number smile

One of my personal favorites is Flame Oz. Its simple. Explanatory and memorable. Bang on in my book.

Burnt toast is pretty cool too smile

Love is the law.

Empress KylonGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
inferno?

just a suggestion

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
How about Zippo?
Or the thesourous Idea is good see what you come up with through there.....
so far I personally like Teknique as far as the sugestions here go and the buddy idea of Pyro-Teknique is great!!!!

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

fiendishMember
51 posts

Posted:
What about Phlogiston. Apparently hundreds years ago scientists decided every living thing had to have an essence. I.e. the essence of air was oxygen. They also beleived fire to be a living thing and therefore must have a pure essence which they named Phlogiston.
Not very short and sweet but very geeky.
I love the idea of translating into other languages. One of my email addressess is lalumbrediablo-(the fire devil).
Yoga practitioners refer to your internal fire as Ajni.
Greek god of fire Hephaestus
Roman" " Vulcan?

"Aaah fire. Scourge of Prometheus,toaster of marshmallows & irradicator of small children..." SideshowBob.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Phlogiston sounds a bit... phlegmmy

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
The Modern Prometheus - FRANKENSTEIN!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Frankenstein? Hey, I'm a little weird, but I'm no mad scientist. And as for being a mouthful... wink

Phlogiston would be interesting, although I remember some unsavory accounts of people who sat in someone else's Phlogiston were considered very unseemly. (Ever sit in a warmed chair?)

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
I called my iPod Pyrophoria.

Kinda like a cross between 'pyrophoric' and 'euphoria'. I like the name, but you can steal it if you want. biggrin

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky