• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Something to make you smile

Login/Join to Participate

Frederick the Reckless
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

Frederick the Reckless

Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel

Total posts: 241
Posted:Rememebr back when you were a kid, and you saw something amazing done by a person you thought was either superhuman or a magician because of their abilities? A martial artist, a gymnast, poi spinner, fire performer? weavesmiley juggle Remember saying, wow "WOW! I WANT TO BE LIKE THAT WHEN I GROW UP!" Remember not being able to sleep that night because you were still too excited and amazed by what you watched that day?
Well, a friend of mine pointed this out to me one day, so I think I'll point it out to you: cool NOW, WE ARE THOSE PEOPLE. Each of us is a role model for today and tomorrow's generations of children. Each of us is responsible for inspiring kids to be like us when they grow up. Each of us has given children a role model, in at least some small sense. Feels good, doesn't it? If this knowledge doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will. biggrin Come on, Smile. I know you want to.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Delete Topic

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:I know smile

I realised this last year when I was juggling at the sick kids hospital, and I dropped one of the balls, and this little girl was watching. I managed to put on a perfect clown-style-"OH MY GOD I JUST DROPPED A BALL!!! I'm going to cry!!!!" face, and the girl came and picked up the ball for me and was laughing all the time smile

And even though it's not exactly well-liked in the community, I for myself am VERY much looking forward to making the kiddies some balloon animals soon ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

nearly_all_gone
SILVER Member since Aug 2004

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1626
Posted:The first time some kids came up to me when I was spinning, I was only a few months in. I didn't know very much at all, but what I could do, I was OK at. The kids were AMAZED! It was so nice... as we were only spinning practise we let them have a go, and they were so quick to pick things up... a weave in about 30 seconds, for example...

I think that whilst we may be the people kids look up to, cheesy as it may sound, kids are better role-models for us. Open to new experience, not bitter, not holding on to outdated or unhealthy beliefs... kids are great biggrin

I wonder if those kids are still spinning... I chatted to their dad about making them a pair of poi each weavesmiley

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

Sethis
BRONZE Member since May 2005

Sethis

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1762
Posted:I used to get really excited when my mother would pass her finger through a candle flame without getting burnt...

Now I spin fire for fun...

I think my upbringing was excessively pyromainiacal... but fun, nonetheless. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:i wonder if i can do any "good" with my spinning yet, still sadly poor, but improving
balloon animals almost always bring a smile to a kids face, i can do that at least

*sigh* i still want to be a contortionist

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Larry
SILVER Member since Oct 2005

Larry

Electro Ponce!

Total posts: 383
Posted:it's not just children that think that way.
2 years ago i found myself being absolutely amazed by magicians... now, i'm a magician. it's nice that i can still be in awe of things like magic and juggling when into my twenties!

this has made me smile!

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

Delete

phosphojesus

phosphojesus

Total posts: 14
Posted:I did an experiment in a school to see if children would watch poi if they didn't know it was coming, if you see what I mean. they weren't told before hand.

When I stopped after exactly 2 minutes (quite short so I made it complicated) there were small claps and a little girl ran up and put 2p by my feet!

so cool to see it!

and then two little boys came and talked to me for about 10 minutes, they were really stoked and wanted to learn Poi!

cool little dudes!!!

According to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle, chaos is to be found in it's greatest abundance wherever order is sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organised.

Delete

L0s3r_r@v3r
SILVER Member since May 2005

L0s3r_r@v3r

enthusiast

Total posts: 274
Posted:I always do it in public.. all my friends are always amazed.. but i never had a kid cum up to me because i never do it at the right times in teh right places.. *shrug*

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

Delete

Frederick the Reckless
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

Frederick the Reckless

Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel

Total posts: 241
Posted:Feels great, doesn't it? Kids think everything we do is magic, moreso if it involves extreme hand-eye coordination and showmanship. Never fails to leave me feeling ten feet tall.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:ummm, sorry, i didnt smile at all............

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:Yupp - children are my favourite audience and I only had a few who didn't appear to be mesmerized by poi/ staff-twirling... biggrin

Last year on a motorcycle-tour in the Himalayas a friend and I were stopping at a local harvest festival and (having been the only two white travellers/ year coming through there) we gathered quite a crowd... my friend needed to roll a cigarette because she got so nervous from a hundred or so people, staring at us... I didn't want to put smoking as a white mans model, so I pulled out my poi and gave a small performance... there was no applause, but they appeared fascinated by it... biggrin

In Indonesia we gave workshop and performance for orphans and they were very exited about it, taking the practice pois with them... I'll see the results soming up in September...

It's amazing, how fast they learn when they have the opportunity to practice... always gives me a good feeling to see children play poi smile smile smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Baccory
BRONZE Member since Feb 2006

Baccory

Total posts: 126
Posted:I was waiting for a friend's ferry to come in and *swish* immidiately my poi came out and i was practising (this was when i was a few months into poi and practising at the drop of a hat) and this 50-60 yr old couple walked by stopped and watched and the guy in broken english said "You're a true artist" and waited till i stopped and gave me a handshake...i thought it was awesome

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1662
Posted:i think everything is magic...i really do.

i think poi are very magic, and all swooshy and lovely. frankly i think just being alive is magic

la la la la...i'm off to thank some trees. smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

JaMmCaT
SILVER Member since Jan 2006

Total posts: 15
Posted:I sometimes swing poi whilst waiting for the bus or subway. Oh, the looks I get!

Delete

Baccory
BRONZE Member since Feb 2006

Baccory

Total posts: 126
Posted:Hahaha when my group head into Juggle Jam (local twirling thing) we get some odd looks...the majority of us carry 5-6ft staves and'll be randomly going into spins while waiting for the train...and if we're not doing that, we'll have ppl juggling,diablo-ing, poi spinning all while talking normally to eachother...but walking through the city in the dark...a bunch of teenages carrying staves that are taller than the average person...ah how many double takes we get...its funny

Delete

JaMmCaT
SILVER Member since Jan 2006

Total posts: 15
Posted:Someone once told me to "stop swinging nunchuks or he'll have me arrested" when I was swinging poi. :P

Delete

Sporky

Sporky

addict

Total posts: 663
Posted:"I think the reason we were arrested was because we were juggling six knives in the centre of Glasgow" - One of the most random days of my life.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:It was a man on horse, from old western serial with bola. I think I was 13. And film The Net about light and dark side of the net, few years after. Still nothing changed.

thank you,

smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete