Forums > Social Discussion > The Four Major International Cities

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
According to Wikipedia, they are New York City, London, Paris, and Tokyo.

Do you agree? I'd knock Paris off the list. If it gets to be part of the 4, then why not Madrid or Rome? Or San Francisco, for that matter?

And speaking of San Francisco...why the hell NOT San Francisco? Huh? I'd call that a Major International City.

So. What cities do you think should be on this august of the Four Major International Cities?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
August?

august

adj 1: of or befitting a lord; "heir to a lordly fortune"; "of

august lineage" [syn: grand, lordly]

2: profoundly honored; "revered holy men" [syn: revered, venerable]

n : the month following July and preceding September [syn: August,

Aug]

anyway, I reckon Paris has an historical claim due to Desirability and Reputation for Culture... but now... I reckon Sydney deserves a nomination.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
moscow? beijing? hongkong? sao paulo(size alone)? shanghai? delhi? cairo? jerusalem? er.. there appear to be quite a few...

https://www.biggest-cities.com/

as for culture....
matchu picchu?
venice?
edinburgh?

a bit made up, this wiki, methinks...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
remember though, with wiki normal people like you and me can add information to it, without knowing a thing about the subject

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I think the four international cities of the americo-european world would perhaps be a more accurate description - I would have thought it hard to have a list of international cities without including such places as Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo-Yokohama, Sao Paulo - all of which are as important, if not more so, than those mentioned.

Still, that's just me.

Jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Paris is the city of love ubblove, no other city has that reputation I dont think. Paris is definatly one of the top four

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Paris is also the armpit of europe. I don't think any other city has that reputation wink

ubbangel

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
FRD, Naples has that reputation and that's what I've always heard it referred to as.

Lightning, have you been to Madrid? It certainly didn't scream major international city to me. The residents were very unfriendly to an outsider, many of the places (hostels, hotels, restaurants, bus system) had signs only in spanish. To me, this makes a city a non-international one because they aren't non-spanish speaking person friendly.

Would I think Rome over Paris? Quite possibly. However, you also need to look at the airport. Paris is a hub for Air France which partners with Delta. If you fly over to Europe direct from the states, it is one of the few locations where you can get to without having to change plans somewhere else. The others being London, Amsterdam, and somewhere in Germany which Lufthansa has as a hub.

For a city to be a major international one, maybe one would need to look at how many non-native (i.e. for NY, how many non americans live there, for Paris, how many non-europeans) people live and work there.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
New York, Tokyo, London, ... yes...

Paris just has that reputation, I don't think we're going to take it away, but I gather (having not actually been there myself, but thru friends) that it doesn't have quite the same flavour.

San Francisco did not impress upon me the feeling of "world international city." "big city" yes, "international city" yes, but not the new york-london type feeling (which admittedly incarnates very differently between the two). I think Sao Paulo is still too up and coming in terms of world view, maybe in ten years or so it will replace Paris?

I'm interested that no one mentioned Taipei... I would have included it long before amsterdam....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I guess then New York will always be on the list.. how many locals actually live there?

Paris? Dunno... what's love got to do with it anyways? umm tongue

The list names 1 for the Americas, 2 for Europe and 1 for Asia... this will definately change... it's not just about size, history and airport-hub, I'd say it's also about how diverse the international community in those cities is and who they compete with...

For Europe I'd choose London, Rome, Berlin to be major international centres - hardly anyone speaks english in Paris... - for the Americas: New York, Mexico City, Sao Paolo (whereas there are not many speaking English in Sao Paolo too) - for Asia: Hong Kong, Bangkok, Shanghai, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur.....

Sydney? You must be dreaming!.... wink Jakarta and Manila are more cosmopolitan than Sydney... wink tongue ubblol

*PS: Tai Peh? Big yes, international... hmmm... signs are only in chinese and not many speak English... dunno, this would be amongst my criterias...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1139763659)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It depends how do you define an international city.

I would concider it to be one where the rest of the "modern" world can somehow identify with, find representation in or is concidered a place where tremendous amounts of international business is centered, as well as it being a major hub for international travel.

Using these things as my guideline, then yes NYC, London and Tokyo.

I have trouble with the 4th city. I'd like to say Toronto or Sydney, but it would not be Paris. Though I honestly think that Mumbai or New Delhi might be picking up speed in the running in my mind. (as an American will that add to the FBI case file on me? wink )

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Amsterdam should be one of the cities on the list. It's just got a huge international airport which is why I mentioned it. I think that is important for the list - it needs to be easily accessible from many places, have signs or areas of town that aren't only in 1 language, and have a good chunk of the population that is not native to that country/continent.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
seeing the title and seeing the cities listed, it is quite a dated list, and kind of implies, to me, that what they actually mean by "major international city" is the cities with the most shops, consumer centres.... first thing that pops into my head is the image of some corporate logo with those cities listed underneath.... umm

i've never considered to sit down and try and write a list of major international cities, but if i was going to, i think it would be a lot longer, i wonder why they only listed four?....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
New Delhi might be a good canidate indeed! Tokyo doesn't really have tons of foreigners either, that live there long term. So I'm not sure if it should be counted or not? confused The criteria, I mean, not wether Tokyo belongs on the list!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

And speaking of San Francisco...why the hell NOT San Francisco? Huh? I'd call that a Major International City.

Because if you're straight, San Fransisco really isn't that cool.

wink

ubblol

I've been to many places but never been any place more cosmopolitan than New York. I always assume that Tokyo would be but I'll have to go to find out.

It's funny, being from New York I always forget that there's really no place like it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

It's funny, being from New York I always forget that there's really no place like it.

Is that kind of like, being from Michigan, I always forget that most people have not been in a car accident involving a deer? wink

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I like all those on the list but Paris, I think Kuala Lumpur as majority of flights that I have heard my friends going on around the world tend to stop there.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
New York City used to be one of my alltime favourites... until I noticed how weird it can be sometimes... Along with the paranioa that followed 9/11 and the hoaxes of myriad of supposed terrorist attacks... no offence, but since I travelled Asia there are some cities I take way over New York - even for living there:

Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Hong Kong... dunno, maybe it's the asean flairs... maybe it's the easy going? shrug

No other place like New York? *phew*... tongue wink

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
we've got to run run run to the cities of the future!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Bangkok, London, Vancouver, San Franscisco
Id say New York, but never been there so it is on standby status...
But I am certainly biased...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
there is no way that san fran is more international than NY

big yes, but no way more international

700 thousand something v. 8+ million

don't forget, we've got the united nations buildings wink

@ tom: weird? its always been weird biggrin

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
And Dublin should be on it. Obviously rolleyes

They make Guinness there for gods sake!!!

Love is the law.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
It depends on how you define "international"

-Most international tourists
-Most languages
-Most international habitants
-Racially international
-Most internationally visited
-Largest flux of international flights

Which of these do they mean exactly? Or do they mean all of them? confused

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well, all of those would be pretty high up on New York's list. I don't know anywhere else where the majority of the population is minority. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Bangkok??? Over New York???? I mean New York has issues, but... Bangkok???? Seriously??

One man's heaven is another man's hell....

Oh yeah, one of my big reasons for mentioning Taipei, an otherwise still semi-closed community, is the trade/business done from there as well as the (for awhile, maybe still) tallest building in the world...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What about Singapore?

That's pretty international.

Draconian, sure, but international.

-Mike

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Bangkok is the City of Angels. All kinds of angels, everywhere ;-)

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'd thought about LA, but it's not international because of a lack of decent public transport. You don't have to know how to drive to visit the four aforementioned cities. Or San Francisco.

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Lived in Bangkok a short while... shrug

S.F.? Stop it Doc! There will not be more than ONE american city be listed amongst the top four! wink hug

Page: