oberkornBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Well hello, Everyone!

Name's Steve and I live in the wonderful Valley of the Sun!

I've never spun a poi ever. I do, however, think it looks to be extremely enjoyable and am just trying to figure out what/how to get into it. I totally can envision myself with a mp3 player and some poi just going to town with some good trance. Or whatever tickles my fancy! Like at this moment "Insanity" by Boingo. Anyhoo...

There's so many different kinds whether they have nylon tails or L.E.D. balls (those are wicked. I'm up late at night and it would be cool to just do a bit while walking the poochie!). I'm going to shy away from the fire ones for now. No need to set myself ablaze LOL. I'll have to look more and just dive in. Any ideas on a good set for a beginner?

My other hobbies include yo-yoing. I'm really into that. I have quite a collection going and am learning more tricks every day. So much fun but I want to subsidize my hobby with another. I kind of do a bit of diabolo but not much. I'm a bit lazy and can't really do that inside lol.

I live in Phoenix. Go to school for drafting/architecture/scenic design. Work as a data entry slave. And am married to a wonderful lady. We're expecting our first child on Feb 15th. We have a male chihuahua, 2 female bluepoint siamese cats and a female chinchilla. Quite the zoo! biggrin

Anyways, that's about enough out of me! Nice to be a part of the boards and look forward to learning more and possibly chit-chatting with some of ya!

Take care!!!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Pssssst!

"Ok, this is yet another attempt to rid the site of "Hi, I'm XXXX I'm new"-type intros.

Here's a little template for newbies to use!

Name:

Hometown:

DOB:

Sex:

Occupation(s):

Favorite Food(s):

Favorite Color(s):

Toys:

Hobbies other than the obvious:

Education:

Favorite Book(s):

Favorite Movie(s):

Favorite TV show(s):

Plans for life in general: (i.e. what you want to do when you grow up)

Favorite Music Artists/Composers:

Favorie ice cream flavor(s):

Marmite, Vegemite, or Nutella? (please choose one...this is important as it is essentially this site's equivalent of stating your religion...we have religious wars, crusades, cathedrals to Nutella, all that.) "

welcome

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
oh leave him alone, he pretty muh said all thats in there anyway, meanie. hi welcome to hop

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
welcome to HoP we hope you will stay with us............FOREVER mwahhahahahaubblol

if you want some cheap beginer poi you can't go wrong with a pair of long socks and a couple of tennis balls biggrin

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello and welcome to HoP!

weavesmiley wave

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

oberkornBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the welcomes!

I thought about that template but it seemed a bit much lol.

The socks and tennis balls is something I would never thought of. Thanks for the suggestion! biggrin

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Hullo! congratulations, because I anti-hate you! heart heart heart

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

oberkornBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Because I feel guilty for not giving more of myself ^_^

Name:Steven Cote

Hometown: Phoenix, AZ

DOB: Nov 10, 1975

Sex: male

Occupation(s): Data entry slave, student, husband, soon to be dad

Favorite Food(s): Most Asian (esp. Japanese), eggs

Favorite Color(s): blue, yellow, black

Toys: yo-yo, things with L.E.D.s, Lego, Transformers, Gundam Models, Erector sets

Hobbies other than the obvious: yo-yo, anything related to yo-yo (making cases, modding them, you know), little bit of diabolo

Education: college (in process)

Favorite Book(s): Curse of the Blue Figurine and other books in the series, Dragonlance dragons series and twins series only, architectural books (esp. Frank Lloyd Wright (right now anyways lol))

Favorite Movie(s): Bladerunner, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, anything martial arts esp. Bruce Lee or Jet Li, SpiceWorld (don't ask lol), Tron, Goonies, Big Trouble in Little China, Dragon Slayer, others I'm sure...oh! Johnny Mnemonic ^_^

Favorite TV show(s): Venture Bros., Johnny Bravo, Ren & Stimpy, Family Guy, Stargate SG1, any British comedy

Plans for life in general: find a career that I can enjoy and get reasonably compensated for, be the best husband and dad I can be, party like a rockstar (overweight, hairy has-been rockstar but one nonetheless!!).

Favorite Music Artists/Composers: PVD, Sasha, Armin Van Buuren, Digweed, many others, Opus III, Orbital, The Orb, The Hybrid, FSOL, Jethro Tull, Boston, Kansas, Fleetwood Mac, Christopher Cross, all kinds of genres save most rap and country

Favorie ice cream flavor(s): daquiri ice, orange sherbert, vanilla, choco mint

And I'm sorry to say that I don't know what marmite and nutella are. Isn't vegemite a (for lack of better term) food paste that you spread on like bread or something? I'll have to go look that stuff up ^_^

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
whatever you do, stay away from vegemite and marmite. that stuff is horrid. it makes me hear children crying...

its rerally horrible, salty, goo that you smear on ur bread, the brits and ozzies like that stuff, but as a sane human being im telling you, nay begging you not to eat it.

its the kinda food, that you have to be conditioned to during childhood, causing trauma and addiction to the salty, sweaty crap.....

nutella (chocolate-nut spread....mmmmmmm) tho, was sent from the heavens to compensate for marmite and vegemite....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
young man-i feel i must congratulate you on your impeccable taste-in both music and films! clap clap clap biggrin

welcometo HoP!!

*runs off singing.....*

"skating away....on the thin ice of a new day....hey...hey...hey....."

hug

oberkornBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Konsti: Thanks for clearing that up, LOL. That made me chuckle quite a bit here at work.

Maus: I'm glad you approve!

Thanks to you both for the warm welcome!!!

oberkornBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Oh and thanks Sparkey!!! ^_^