• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Who is Victor? giving out bad advice!

Login/Join to Participate

Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 1002
Posted:I have just found out from ICoN that someone called "Victor" from this site has previously told a new spinner to purchase a Fluffy practice poi from this site and set it on fire eek
"Victor" apparently said that they wont burn long so they're great for beginners
The newby used white gas and was told that after one or two burns she would have to break off the melted outside and then continue to burn the core.

Victor this is not a joke thing to do!

I am very angry that someone could be representing themselves as a HOP employee and getting new spinners to do something very dangerous.

If anyone knows anything about this please contact me at info@homeofpoi.com or PM me.

"May your balls always burn"

Delete Topic

gita
SILVER Member since Oct 2003

gita

.:*distracted by shiny things*:.

Total posts: 3776
Posted:eek holy crap! i didn't think there were people that stupid in the world! (meaning victor) i hope the newbie didn't take his dangerous advice!!! eek

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! grin it confuses people!

Delete

animatEd
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

animatEd

1 + 1 = 3

Total posts: 3540
Posted:Who was the new user that was told to do this? Maybe They could help you out more? Any idea of a Country of origin?

I'll keep my ears open, though.

edit: Just realised that if you know this has happened, you've probably already spoken to 'the new user'. All in all, a useless post. Sorry.

EDITED_BY: Long_Time_Coming (1131665154)

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 1002
Posted:Don't know who the new user was. ICon is trying to get more information from her.

Trying to find out if anyone else has been contacted by a "Victor" telling them to do the same thing? or a "Victor" representing themselves as a HOP employee.

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

MikeIcon
GOLD Member since Mar 2003

MikeIcon

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2109
Posted:The customer in question doesnt post here. She simply bought a set of poi from the site after getting some advice from "Victor." She did indeed burn the fluffy poi but luckily she wasnt injured in the process. She did note some rather dazzling flame colors as they began to ignite however. eek

I will post any additional info I get here.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Delete

Bird
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Bird

now available in "advanced"

Total posts: 6086
Posted:Man, I can't believe someone would give out advice like that, and worse still, claim they were part of your organisation!

I hope you sort this out, and I'm glad the newbie affected wasn't hurt!

hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:rolleyes

There are some silly people about....
frown

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:Is this him?

http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/show...vc=1#Post544891
br>
Just a suggestion. Not an accusation. His name is victor... shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

Igirisujin
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted:What are fluffy poi made out of anyway? Seems kinda silly to me anyone would believe this type of poi is supposidly the type you set on fire in the first place to be honest.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

nearly_all_gone
SILVER Member since Aug 2004

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1626
Posted:People are surprisingly naive about firetoys in general, though. Like the people who made fire swords out of cloth and lit them with petrol.

People really have no idea. I can imagine a set of fluffly poi looks like the sort of thing which would take on fuel, if you don't know much about poi. Despite the fact it's so glaringly dumb to those of us who know better.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

v_i_c

v_i_c

Total posts: 57
Posted:It's NOT me for sure!

Delete

Sakura_Moon

Sakura_Moon

Hop's Kitten Jester.

Total posts: 1803
Posted:Why would someone do that?!
How immature can yo get?

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:d'ya think iy was immature?

What if it was just stupidity? What if Victor thought this was true; that he did it himself?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

pricklyleaf
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

pricklyleaf

with added berries

Total posts: 1365
Posted:It sounds more Naiive than malitious to me too. From the fact they were saying that after the first few burns you need to break the melted outside sounds like the person in question had done it themselves. Seems a seriously stupid mistake to make, seen as the shop has a whole section dedicated to fire poi, that surely, if you were going to buy fire poi, you would look at.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Delete

PyroWill
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

PyroWill

HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months

Total posts: 4437
Posted:so he was definately posing as an empolyee? sorry just from your initial post you said someone from this site so i assumed you meant a member of the community

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Delete

Igirisujin
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted:I think maybie this calls for a warning to be put on the shop , Fire poi REQUIRE a speacial type of poi, or something simalar.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

PyroWill
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

PyroWill

HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months

Total posts: 4437
Posted:Its a shame that shouldnt have to happen, the word FIRE poi should give it away, and this is the first time ive heard of this being said so it would be a shame to put a warning on non fire toys that they shouldnt be used for any kind of fire performance, i'd just end up going well duh!
what a shame frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Delete

bender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:exaggerating one'saffiliation with HoP in giving bogus advice on a potentially dangerous art always runs the risk of being caught.

nevertheless i would hesitate in passing judgement before this individual gets a chance to explain himself...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

Zauberdach

Zauberdach

Sometimes sword wofter

Total posts: 199
Posted:At least he didn't tell them to soak it in petrol... jeez some people are complete b******ds frown

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

Delete

MikeIcon
GOLD Member since Mar 2003

MikeIcon

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2109
Posted:Well, she used white gas which isnt a whole hell of a lot better.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Delete

GothFrogette
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy

Total posts: 3999
Posted:
i know of people who were going to set sock poi on fire... so unfortuently this doesn't shock me.

its just a good Job that it was acted on and drawn to our attention. You have to love HOP... this thread just shows people how caring you all are hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

LazyAngel
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2895
Posted:actually I have met people who told me about experimentation with tennisballs dipped in paraffin when they were drunk. Fortunately no one was hurt, but it did make quite a mess. I find myself constantly despairing of people who want to spin fire but have not put any thought into the safety aspects of it.

I mean, is the need to spin fire really so urgent that you can't spend 15 minutes searching for info, reading it up and then checking you're actually going to be safe when you light up? that brief period of time could make a difference on the whole of the rest of your life...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

Rozi
SILVER Member since Jan 2002

100 characters max...

Total posts: 2996
Posted:One of the most common things I get asked by passersby when I am spinning is "so you light those <points at tennis ball/sock poi> on fire?". I have to take great care when I answer and say "not these ones, I have some fire poi. But I do this with fire, yes."

People who have not seen real fire poi will leap to the (il)logical conclusion that you must be able to light practice poi somehow. And that's when they bring out the tennis balls of fiery doom.

Although it does worry me that someone has visited the HoP shop and not made the connection, cos the firepoi are all there to see!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Delete

PK_
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

PK_

Lambretta Fanatic

Total posts: 4991
Posted:Written by: somber

toys: everything that i can set on fire : poi (fire & comet)

confused so that link does say some thing along these very same lines.

I totally agree with you Rozi, people just assume because they do not know.
I would have thought with how big the community is now that there would be more informal information being passed to the general public from this community... people talk you know. wink

hope you get to the bottom of this malcolm hug

PK.

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face,
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

*Francois Couperin.

Delete

bender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:sometimes we aren't simply twirlers,
we are also fire safety ambassadors with fantastic legs
:glints in eye: