Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Anyone else here interested in using staff's in combat?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Thumperabbit
BRONZE Member since Sep 2005

Zebberdy and Jack Daniels

Total posts: 278
Posted:Recently i've gotten into Jo staffs. as currect I own a 4ft red oak Jo staff, anyone else interested in combat with staff's here?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Delete Topic

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:I know a few HoPpers that use Bo Staff.

I've never heard of Jo staff though...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

The Misguided Oracle
GOLD Member since Aug 2005

The Misguided Oracle

the floor is a sea of tigers...

Total posts: 404
Posted:only if the staff is in all its flaming glory

"My body is a well tuned machine... It just needs a competent driver." - ?

Delete

strugz
BRONZE Member since Mar 2002

strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3964
Posted:played with Jo and Bo staffs - Jo staffs are small er FRD thats all dude smile

Combat - great fun as long as you have a willing partner - to get routines tight though so you can actually do the sequence of moves without thinking (only way to make it look like a real fight) takes hours and hours of repetative practice.

Well worth it though - if you got the time, which is something im sadley lacking these days rolleyes

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:I have some Taiwanese Killing sticks that I practice staff moves with. Well thats my name for them....

Don't know much about them except I bought them in a martial arts store sale, and dropped one on concrete once, to find that the concrete was broken and not the staff.

Shortly after that, and hitting myself in the shin twice, I prompt wrapped some padding aorund each end.

I say, learn the moves, but use the padding! ubblol

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

Moka
GOLD Member since Jul 2005

Moka

is a medium/large scary man

Total posts: 420
Posted:More like wear gloves... I love fooling around with all kinds of stick fighting in my martial arts but I find the worst thing is getting hit in the hands and fingers by wayward strikes... :P
Cheers, Moka

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:These might help. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

entheogen
GOLD Member since Mar 2005

entheogen

Total posts: 173
Posted:Hmmmn, Taiwanese killing staffs you say? What kindave wood is that and where do you get them?

My performing partner is notorious at bending his contact staff faster than you can say 'Its a bird, no its a plane!', which becomes my problem since he then grabs my sticks as soon as my back is turned.

He bought a Red Oak staff at the local martial arts store... it lasted ten minutes.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

Delete

Amaranthine

Total posts: 2
Posted:My partner and I use staffs and swords in lit combat.

We have leather gloves that were made for us, as were the leather doublets we wear for combat. Our pants are also leather and were purchased at a local biker store.

It's a LOT of fun, hell on your safeties, and requires hours and hours of choreography.

Delete

Stone
GOLD Member since Jun 2001

Stream Entrant

Total posts: 2830
Posted:Try a search on stick fighting.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

Ninja_Dave

Ninja_Dave

Total posts: 58
Posted:i bought a three section staff online a while bk and converted it to fire, by adding redbull cans and kevlar, works really well (falmouth) but i also have a tapered bo white oak bo staff which is ace! use to have a graphite but it got stolen, STAFF'S KICK ASS!

Delete

gwydion71
GOLD Member since Apr 2004

Total posts: 2
Posted:i started with the bo staff now thay are flaming

Delete

GeoffonTour04
SILVER Member since Nov 2005

enthusiast

Total posts: 360
Posted:used to do reenactment with a 7' staff with a hook on, they're pretty good weapons but there're a lot of ways to get caught out against swords/axes

Delete

mcp
PLATINUM Member since May 2003

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Total posts: 5276
Posted:oxford is farrrrrrr away, and I want to learn quarterstaff. frown

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

GeoffonTour04
SILVER Member since Nov 2005

enthusiast

Total posts: 360
Posted:hold it diagonally, hands opposed, and block with the nearest part with as little movement as possible. When you blocked hit back with the opposite end in an undefended area, or if no such opportunity presents itself, set yourself up a feint or something tricky. That's the basics, there should be loads on the web.

Delete

Devilsarmy
BRONZE Member since Oct 2005

Devilsarmy

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2984
Posted:OH OH OH I DO I DO PICK ME OH PLEASE

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:i choose devilsarmy!...........wait, why was i choosing people???

how about just fighting with a sword in its sheath? i've heard of some pretty cool techniques using that

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

effex

effex

Total posts: 32
Posted:BEWARE THE MIGHTY WOODEN SPOON!!!
EDITED_BY: effex (1139831788)

smile and people will wonder what yr up to.

Delete

stiched_up
GOLD Member since Dec 2005

stranger

Total posts: 8
Posted:hey thumperrabit i train with the philipino martial atrs called kali whitch is stick fighting. very co-ordination based!! what do you think??

mmmmmmm fire.... he he he!!!

Delete

Bender_the_Offender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

Bender_the_Offender

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:i magine that staff combat choreo would look somewhat like this...

Non-Https Image Link

(Fire Fantasy, performing at Rainbow Serpent Festival 06)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

mcp

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Posted:I think this should have a caption competition...

"Ha evil ninja using the fire element style! I will steal it from you and fight you on your own terms!"

"You can try, but I have combined the fire element style with the hipthrust! You never defeat me! Muahahahahahahahhaha"

<fight ensues>

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

Seye
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Seye

Geek

Total posts: 1261
Posted:Written by: lukestone

hey thumperrabit i train with the philipino martial atrs called kali whitch is stick fighting. very co-ordination based!! what do you think??

Is Kali the same as Escrima?

If so I have considered trying to learn the basics for fire performing but I imagine it would be too dangerous to hit someone that many times with a burning stick. wink

Its incredibly impressive to watch anyway though. The knife fighting looks amazing too!

Delete

ado-p
GOLD Member since May 2004

ado-p

Pirate Ninja

Total posts: 3882
Posted:I thought they used Kali Sticks in Escrima?

Im not sure about that though and have no evidence to back it up. Its merley a distant memory of heresay that i chose not to investigate any further smile

Hope that helps

Love is the law.

Delete

mcp

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Posted:I thought they used escrima sticks in escrima? Obviously to mimic the form of a machete without cutting other peoples limbs off.

Delete

Seye
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Seye

Geek

Total posts: 1261
Posted:I think (if I remember correctly) that escrima / kali are the same thing. They are just names from different reigions. I think there is one more name too but i cant remember it at the moment.

Meg - they do sticks and knives the techniques are slightly different.

Delete

Bender_the_Offender

Bender_the_Offender

Posted:Kali (Silat) is a malay/indo martial arts, and the name of the hindu goddess of destruction, and a pretty decent psytrance DJ.

Escrima is a Phillipino stick fighting martial art. i don't know more than this re: escrima that doesn't go into bruce lee flicks.

Vegemite is an incredibly nutritious yeast-based spread that fortifies the mind and sharpens the senses, whose benefit is doubled when you eat it on wholemeal, gluten-free bread.

combining at least two of the three would be quite a beautiful thing.

Delete

Posted:Kali is filipino. Silat is malay/indonesian. Due to the influence of Guro Dan Inosanto, many people teach a blend. Therefore, Kali-Silat.

Escrima, Arnis, and Kali are used interchangeably in the west to describe filipino stick/knife arts.

Some of those stick arts use the baston just as a stick. Others are using it in place of a sword.

Cheers!
Patrick

p.s. Bender if you're ever interested, I can give you contact details for a good teacher of Kalis Ilustrisimo in Melbourne.

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Total posts: 1502
Posted:Thumperabbit, back in my aikido days we used to mess about* with jo staffs quite a lot.

There's a HUGE aikido presence in South Wales, including this club in Swansea if you're interested. It's a bit of a roundabout way of getting to learn proper jo techniques, but pretty durn cool in it's own right!

*for "mess about" read "train diligently" ;o)

Delete

pyromania
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

pyromania

Total posts: 92
Posted: Written by: effex

BEWARE THE MIGHTY WOODEN SPOON!!!

HAHAHA

when i saw this forum ithought you meant real fighting cos ive had a 2 bad experiences like that frown not good, even if you do win, if you do get in a fight run.......now back to the more happy things in life FIRE ubblove....1 of my thousands of friends ubblol and i fight with fire staves but we have never performed publicaly

"as you journey through life take a moment to stop and think about the other fellow.....He might be plotting something" Hagar the Horrible

"GIMMIE A BAG OF JELLY BEANS OR I'LL BITE YOUR KNEECAPS" The King Of Id

Delete

jonathan

enthusiast

Total posts: 210
Posted:yeah bender, im into a bit of biffo with weapons.........

its all good fun so long as one bears in mind its gonna hurt when accidents happen........

we used to make staffs with padding so we could hit with impunity, but we found that skill and timing were replaced with 'bashing' for want of a better word. same with shinai too. not the same with swords though, not the same at all. they scary and pointy and hurty.

i like staff for teaching people confidence with weapons as you can be a fair distance from danger and still get the excitement and feel of what its all about.

and having fun is what its all about i guess.

Delete

Bender_the_Offender

Bender_the_Offender

Posted:power and precision are two important goals in marital arts - it doesn't require too much skill to hurt somebody, and it takes the utmost skill to not hurt someone!

precision is honed with practice, so let's start building wooden men! heh

Delete

Page: 12