Forums > Social Chat > I attemped poi today....never again

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Today I tried poi for the first time, I used my mates double wick pois. After a couple of moments of spinning I ended up hitting myself in the nuts....I was on the ground wimpering like a little girl. I think from now on i'll stick to my staff, I may not be good at it, but i've not sacked myself with it.... yet

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
This is why I prefer juggling.

Willy - is bad for your health...

278 posts

Posted:
I can juggle, a little, i get though about 4 sets before the juggling balls start moving too far forward and i lose controll, but still staff is strong in my books smile

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
Ya contact is the shitt....I have been doing that for 3 years now and it is awsome, I am turning out to be pretty good. Michael Glenn is probably one of the best ppl at contact. Go to tryouttoys.com to see his site. He also has a lot of moves posted on contactjuggling.org He combined both contact and staff.
I am very diverse when it comes to any of this stuff....3 ball juggling, contact, devilsticks, clubs, rings, staff, but all in all I am the best at poi. The only people I can find that are better than I (trick and fluid wise) are the people I meet on here and the people in the COL videos. Everything is fun once you learn how to get back up after a good sacking and try again. Once you learn some moves it is all good from there on out.
One day I was doing the mexican butterfly when I was trying to learn it....I whacked myself in the eye and had a 3 inch gash right below my eye....I was too stubborn to go get stiches though...it healed up nicely!

Beyond the Continuum.

278 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice and input from every body smile but staffing if for me, not poi, prehaps in the future though

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
why not learn both at the same time? A lot of the movement and hand position stuff is similar. Plus by doing both you help along your hand coordination, making both easier because of the other.

Plus... Poi is harder :-P

lol

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
eek Is it? I know less staff than poi and am not so good at staff so I've been assuming it was slightly harder.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ide never dare pick up a staff, you can cut your head open on staff, cant so that with poi. and if you fall on your staff you can run yourself through, and and and once I saw this 999 eppisode where a man got a snooker Q through his head and lived to tell the tale, and and and and you can poke your eyes out with your staff, and and and all sorts of nasty stuff. biggrin biggrin biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: Noddy

poi is better than staff
but devilsticks are better than poi

Think you got off pretty lightly there!

278 posts

Posted:
I attemped that trick where you spin the staff behind your back at hip lvl, and then raise it to above your head...i ended up hitting myself in the ear, now it's like twice the usual size :S

MasterOfDreamsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
Brit Joe, May I just say that although so many nasty things can happen with the staff the poi can and has wrapped around my neck causing me to breathe in from shock therefore singeing all my nose hairs and causing a rather nasty burn on the back of my neck.
Also got it caught underneath my arm pit and ended up placing my arm down and causing a pretty severe burn there too. Owwwwchy!!!
But now I have my war wounds " rarrrrrrrr"!!!!

Dance like no one is watching, Sing like no one is listening, live your life the way that you see fit

57 posts

Posted:
Brit Joe, May I just say that although so many nasty things can happen with the staff the poi can and has wrapped around my neck causing me to breathe in from shock therefore singeing all my nose hairs and causing a rather nasty burn on the back of my neck.
Also got it caught underneath my arm pit and ended up placing my arm down and causing a pretty severe burn there too. Owwwwchy!!!

Dance like no one is watching, Sing like no one is listening, live your life the way that you see fit

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Yeah but thats with added fire, I dont think anyones gonna garrote themselves with sock poi ubblol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

57 posts

Posted:
Good Point, clap
But......................
If not on fire there are stiil a few things that I could say may put the pois back up there with the staff wether on fire or not as the case may be.
What if..................
You where to hit yourself in the nether regions, that would be rather a nast sort of surging pain, and the consiquences of after effects could be rather savage?
Or.........................
If you were to hit yourself rather hard in a pressure point like for instance your temples, would that not cause a few F's andC's?

Or.................... when a lady is on her monthly harrasment and her boobs are a little uncomfortable and swollen. Due to the fact that exersize is a good thing during this time of the month, you decide to go out side and have a spin with some practise poi. The idea of hitting ya bumps is another thing that I know can be rather bloody uncomfortable.

So here are just afew ideas that I think may bring the poi back up into the ranking with the staff, what ya think?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Hahahahahahahaha poi is no good you wanna do staff ubblol

dirty poi *bleurgh* only used whilst juggling

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

57 posts

Posted:
I have tried the staff and the only thing I can seem to do is the figure of eight. Just find it really difficult to turn it in ma fingers. Plus it gives me blisters.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
er...why don't you try turning it in your hands.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

57 posts

Posted:
Well, my ex used to use his fingers and the movement he got seemed to look a lot smoother and go alot faster than when he did tricks by turning it is his hands. Plus I can still get blisters on the palm of my hand from turning the staff any way.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Finger spinning is lush ubblove

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
Like I said:
The more you do it , the better you get
The better you get the less accidents happen (Given that it is not a new trick)
After a while the blisters, burns, cuts, and other miscellanious mistakes become what is best described by:
Written by: MasterOfDreams

poi can and has wrapped around my neck causing me to breathe in from shock therefore singeing all my nose hairs and causing a rather nasty burn on the back of my neck.

Key Words being: War Wounds eek

Beyond the Continuum.

Page: