Forums > Help! > video and graphics card crashing

Login/Join to Participate

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
OK, so i bought a new GC for my pc, installed it,a nd it runs rather nicly, its the geforce 6 6200 model.

Now that it is installed, all my video players are crashing, and dragging loads of power out of the OS.

Im running Win xp, and while i have unistalled ann my codec packs, and anything to do with videos, reinstalled, cosdecs, and tryed to remove and re install the drivers, teh error remains.....

this is not a thread for which codec pack you are using, or which one you like, i dont wnat a discussion, i would like ideas from others how to fix this is you have had thois problem,

im a high quality IT geek so like i said i have tried a few things to get it sorted, including two different types of codec packs, i use the K0lite one and the DivX pack from soton.

They have work ed perfectly before, and i wont reinstall my machine just yet, as i have uni work to do....

any ideas?

Step (el-nombrie)

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
kick the b*****d???

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
try getting the latest nvdia graphics drivers from nvidia.com. They should also have a fairly good troubleshooting section in there for this sort of problem, and if not, email them and ask.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i tried that one, i d/l'd the drivers yeterday, im going to have a HARD core hunt to track down all the codecs in my machine...and then if its not working still ill format my machine as a last resort....

Step (el-nombrie)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
seems unlikely that it'd be a codec problem, but i dont go into video stuff much. if your old card was an nvidia, you could try rolling back the drivers to the ones you had before, in which case it might work.

Other than that, i dont know.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
If you haven't tried it yet, try booting to safe mode and checking device manager for ghost drivers. Check display adapters and monitors, and you may want to go ahead and remove all the drivers for those two from safe mode, reboot and reinstall the drivers.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
the old card i had was a tnt2, and the vids worked fine, i think its codec error, as the payers all crash, and go all screwie, on media files, but they will make a thumbnail of the first scene in explorer.

i am playing games on my machine, so i knwo its a codec error i think as other wise it would affect the game play

i took off the nvidia drivers, and installed the cd based ones, and same problem?

Step (el-nombrie)

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
dunno why no one suggested this, but call Nvidia! or e-mail or whatever.

I too am a computer geek by trade and when i get stumped like this, i call the manufacturer. Granted you have to talk to a moron at first, but at least its a step. My experience with nvidia is that once u get past the level 1 idiot you can get someone to help you. Heck, when i had abig problem a few years ago they refunded my money and i kept the card.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Have you tried some earlier driver revisions mech? Not all releases are water tight and can cause problems.

AGP aperture in the BIOS? Newer cards can demand more memory?

Have you upgraded your motherboard settings etc to accommodate the higher end card? Maybe a new unified driver for the board would be worth a look?

Dunno- As a geek I'm sure you've tried all that, but its worth a shot I guess smile

Codecs wise- god knows- its all black arts codec stuff. Is there a codec removal tool available? I found THIS

Also, have you used gspot, the codec identifier to see if it recognises the codecs installed for various file types?

ATB

Chutney

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
like i said, i dont think its the AGP in the bios, as moving in games, are working well, and im playing EVERYthing in 1024x768, and its lapping it up, if there wa sa problem, then it should show up in the games?

Step (el-nombrie)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Yup, fair enough- tried the other stuff?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
right chuckney me boy - so far you are good with me

i installed the gspot thing and got in teh list of install codecs
DSH DIVX DivX Decoder Filter
** Codec not registered

DSH DirectShow CLSID 4cc: divx {78766964-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

now anyideas people i tried to reinstall eth codec pack, and its not a happy bunny, it ystill says there is an error?

Step (el-nombrie)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
@Imbalance - Have a look at the second reply. At the bottom. Where it says "They should also have a fairly good troubleshooting section in there for this sort of problem, and if not, email them and ask."

ubblol just kiddin wink

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
hmm yes, you are correct. well then i must have been blind. I blame it on the glare from my window wink

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cool, cheers guys ill email nvidia help desk today, i like sending shitty emails, i think its fun to see geeks apologise

Step (el-nombrie)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if that stuff don't work, consider upping your power supply.
hi end gfx cards and/or hi end processors perform unstably if they don'ts gets enough wattage.
you are a mech, you know alla bout the real ultimate powah.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i have said it before and ill say it again, its to do with the codecs im 99% usre, as the card would just not function, let alson play C7C _ Genreals, Uneral Torn 2004 and FarCry at 1024x768 if it was underpowered

Step (el-nombrie)

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
Dude,

I'm having this identical problem with my computer running the 6600GT nvidia card. Now here's what i have found out that works for me as a temp solution, cos basically my games worked fine, but whenever i tried to play a video my computer would have hernia.

Apparently the latest drivers for nvidia gc's are giving this problem loads, but i gather that the older drivers don't seem to seem to cause the same problem. But anyway, I have found that by simply turning down the graphics card accelleration all of a suddent my video's play perfectly fine! You just have to remember to turn up the accelleration again when you go to play games.

This works for me and it sounds like you're having a similar problem. Although its not an ideal solution it works for me, hope it helps you too! smile

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
HOLLY S*** that works!

right, now to track down some old ass drivers for my cards, unless i email nvidia and demand some better drivers

have you tried the nvidia beta drivers?

Step (el-nombrie)

LostSurferSILVER Member
278 posts

Posted:
I haven't tried the beta drivers, might give that a go. Its damn annoying, especially as i have a sweet setup finally and i have to keep remembering to change accelleration settings. Perhaps we should just demand better drivers off nvidia as this is a big problem imo. Time for some emailing smile

Glad to have helped a bit though!
EDITED_BY: LostSurfer (1130250519)

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
maybe its down not to the drivers, but maybe down to directX as that what controlls lots of the hardware acceleration in a machine?

Step (el-nombrie)

LostSurferSILVER Member
278 posts

Posted:
Yeah i did see something about running DXDIAG and fiddling with the hardware sound accelleration. apparently that's worked for a few people, though not in my case! But it might suggest that the problem lies here instead?
EDITED_BY: LostSurfer (1130263314)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
mech, what kind of video playback? If it's just dvd, try leaving the acceleration alone, uninstalling your secondary IDE controller, letting it redetect/install, then under advanced settings for the same thing- make sure that for both mode 1 and 0 you've got DMA if available (as opposed to PIO which is default?).

If it's other video too, bummer. Typical response, install a newer (or older) driver, or re adjust your IRQ settings (could be a sharing conflict?)

If not, maybe go after the unlikely odd ends? Like upgrading to DirectX9.0c, or uninstall all your codec packs and just try each of the independently? Or thwapping?

Sounds frustrating. Good luck..

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
its all videos,codecs ornot, and it crashing pre load of the vod, so it not even gettting to the front frame of the vid!

Step (el-nombrie)

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I got a 6600GT in September, and it runs perfectly. Not sure why the drivers struggle on some machines and not others...

Did you really say your previous graphics card was a TNT?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yes

thats what my post says wink

tnt2, i dont knwo why the card is failing, im still going to hunt for older legacy drivers, as long as it runs the tv out correctly, then im alughing

Step (el-nombrie)

smudgernewbie
1 post

Posted:
I am new here and was looking for a solution to the exact same problem :-

Nvidia Geforce 6600GT card installed 3 weeks ago - since that date the following has happened :-

Power Dvd - Win DVD - Windows Media Player - all crash the machine - when trying to open any video related file - ie DVD - AVI - MPEG's - not only that :- DVD Shrink loads but also crashes the machine doen't even get to the first screen.

So thicko me goes and buys a new HDD believing that to be the problem - fresh install of Windows XP Pro Corp - same results - I too have upgraded my PSU to the biggest on the shelves - same problems.

So in conclusion any help on this would be very very gratefully received

TIA

Smudger

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Probably down to drivers. The one thing all video players have in common is they use the video hardware to put images on the screen in something called overlay mode, which is a different way from in games or for 2d graphics, and is only used for video (Windows' thumbnails are just images that are rendered a different way in software).

By dropping the acceleration slider you're disabling the hardware overlay, and the video players are reverting to software overlay. If you leave it at full, then as soon as overlay mode is accessed or tested during a program startup, then the hardware is being sent the wrong thing by the drivers.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you need to rack down some legacy drivers from nvidia, i still have to do this for my system, as im lazy, and got my laptop back from repair ubblove

so its still busted

Step (el-nombrie)

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
When a machine crashes you can set it up to generate a crash dump.

Then you can analyse this dump with the free debugging tools for windows and find out exactly which driver was responsible for the crash.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx