Pink...?
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured

Total posts: 6140
Posted:Ok so i need a tip, and thought, instead of just asking my question, people can leave tips about all types of Domestic things, and ask questions.

I have chewing gum on a pair of black cotton trousers, I have most of it off, but there's a kind of shiny mark still on there (like the type of mark a slug leaves when going over ground...) How do i get it off?

ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete Topic

Wild Child
SILVER Member since Sep 2004

Wild Child

Star Trekker

Total posts: 1733
Posted:Did you try the ice cube trick? Gets the gum really brittle so it's easier to pick off.

But it sounds like you've got it in the fibres now, so if that doesn't get anymore off, try ironing it over some paper to make it sticky and pull out abit, then the ice cube

Hope it works hun hug

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:petrol smile or if thats in short supply im sure parrafin would do the job, and I'm sure you have plenty of that!!
Put some on a cloth and rub it over the nasty chewing gum, and it should come off, then stick the trews in the wash/
sorted smile

Delete

Kyrian

Dreamer

Total posts: 4308
Posted:you arn't supposed to wash clothes with petrol on them, (in a machine!).... i mean, everyone does, but you arn't supposed to!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Delete

DrBoo
BRONZE Member since Oct 2005

DrBoo

I invented the decaffinated coffee table.

Total posts: 453
Posted:I'd agree with Wild Child's solution.
I'd suggest freezing your trousers and then picking off the remnants. If there is still a mark ironing over paper or kitchen roll usually does the trick.

ubbideaAlternatively, hold the trousers so that the mark is uppermost, and get a black marker pen. Apply the pen in short strokes to the trousers, thus colouring in the mark!

da daaaa!

biggrin

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

Delete

spritie
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

spritie

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2014
Posted:Peanut butter will do the trick as well. Just rub a bit on the spot, rub the spot around, and it will easily be pickable off. Basically, any product that is slightly oily will do the trick (hence the mention of petrol or parafin as well).

Delete

alien_oddity

alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 7193
Posted:get some black emulsion paint and pain over the offending stainubblol

Delete

jo_rhymes
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Total posts: 4525
Posted:here's a great random tip, if you spill candle wax on your parents' best carpet when they were on holiday (as i did earlier this year), put ice on it, pick the frozen bits off, then!! This is the magic part! ...Get some brown paper, like the manilla post paper stuff, place it over the rest of the wax, and iron it off!! Brilliant!!
Now i need a tip! How the hell do i get fabric paint off of my trousers?! I spilt some whilst being creative!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

DrBoo
BRONZE Member since Oct 2005

DrBoo

I invented the decaffinated coffee table.

Total posts: 453
Posted:Written by: jo_rhymes
How the hell do i get fabric paint off of my trousers?! I spilt some whilst being creative!

Umm....that one will probably be a bit difficult, being as it's meant to paint fabrics. Which is sounds like it's done! At least you know it works.

Maybe you could try making it into an interesting design feature? Or dye your trousers?

ubbrollsmile

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

Delete

Blayze
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Blayze

Doesn't play well with others...

Total posts: 187
Posted:I can't help out with the fabric paint, but if you ever get ink on your clothes, spray the spot with hairspray (lots of it) and then wash it. It will come right out! smile

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1662

Now i need a tip! How the hell do i get fabric paint off of my trousers?! I spilt some whilst being creative!

dylon make this thing called dygone. depending on what colour the paint is it might work, and depending on the colour of the trousers as well, you might end up with a worse pale patch, so test it somewhere unnoticable first!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

TinklePants
GOLD Member since Jul 2005

TinklePants

Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator

Total posts: 4217
Posted:If you have yukky sweat stains on clothes, soak the area in vinegar overnight then wash as normal smile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Posted:well the trousers are purple and the paint is yellow. my mum said it makes me look "more artistic". Hmm.
I'll keep with the picking technique for now. but because they're cords, the paint has gone right in the little groove bits. how inconvinient!! x x x

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

TinklePants

TinklePants

Posted:or you could dye the rest of the trousers the same colour...

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Posted:yellow cords.......? I'd be eternally known as "joey banana legs"

Delete

TinklePants

TinklePants

Posted:hey I knew a guy back home with the most trippy monochrome patterns on his trousers - he was known as Jonathan Trousers!
It'll give you social status ubblol

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Posted:or you could be like weasel - he has paint all over his trousers (although he is an artist....)

he got accused of buying them like that ubblol ubblol

maybe you two could start a trend cool

strong-bad pop up book,

Delete

NOn

activist for HoPper liberation.

Total posts: 1643
Posted:somebody on my course actually did have trousers like that, that were bought.... the paint was only on the bottom front half...

things always get stuck in cords, i have candle wax embedded in mine, i'd try the ironing trick if i had an iron, but i don't. My household tip is to try and ignore the stain on your clothes, until one day you notice that it has miraculously disappeared! ok, it doesn't work all the time, that's why i transform them into poi trousers; once they're covered in black marks, you barely notice the paint! but also it's fun to pick at things on your trousers...

back on topic, the miraculous disappearance trick did work for chewing gum though, the shine disappears once they been through the wash a few times

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Delete

animatEd
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

animatEd

1 + 1 = 3

Total posts: 3540
Posted:I think purple and yellow cords would look awesome!! I would say to add mor yellow spoldges so it doesn't look so accidental.

But then I like purple and yellow together...

I also heard that WD40 is good for getting rid of chewing gum, in fact, it's useful in a lot of situations...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Posted:you could always cover it up with a ptach, or applique something interesting over the top.

strong-bad pop up book,

Delete

TinklePants

TinklePants

Posted:oooh gold glitter!

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Posted:pink fluff!

strong-bad pop up book,

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Posted:pink fluff??? gold glitter???
you're trying to get me beaten up aren't you!!!

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13921
Posted:To remove red wine...use white wine. (works best on a fresh spill)

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Lotus81

Total posts: 12
Posted:Written by:
I also heard that WD40 is good for getting rid of chewing gum, in fact, it's useful in a lot of situations

If it moves and isn't suppose to...use duct tape...if it doesn't move and should...use WD40 weavesmiley

Delete

Motley
GOLD Member since Oct 2005

Motley

addict

Total posts: 434

here's a great random tip, if you spill candle wax on your parents' best carpet when they were on holiday (as i did earlier this year), put ice on it, pick the frozen bits off, then!! This is the magic part! ...Get some brown paper, like the manilla post paper stuff, place it over the rest of the wax, and iron it off!! Brilliant!!

Note: Do not do this:

A) using newspaper
B)on a cheap nylon carpet
C)with the iron on full heat

My housemate did all of the above, melted the newspaper into the carpet and we had the headline of the independent perminantly burnt in the centre of our lounge lolsign

Delete

MiG
GOLD Member since Apr 2004

MiG

Self-Flagellation Expert

Total posts: 3415
Posted:teatowels work well, cos they're really absorbant.

And if you get el-cheapo ones, you can just throw them out instead of bogging up your washing machine.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Delete