Page:
FIRE_SPINNERBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
hello
how dangerous do you think "the malboro" is it is were you put the kero in your mouth and half dip a ciggerette in kero and light it then you asprite the fuel using the cigetrate to ignite it

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I'm not even going to touch this one..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

87 posts

Posted:
i don't want to do this one but my friend does and she says it is just as safe nope can't say that she says that is is just as unsafe as normal firebreathing as long as you move back from were you blow the cig up what do you think

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you... Are you talking about dipping a cig to use it as a wick? or dipping a lit cig?

The first time i read through that I thought you were talking about putting a lit cigarette in your mouth while you had fuel in there..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

87 posts

Posted:
ok i explane again ok good

you get your kero (or what ever fuel you use) put it in your mouth half dip a cig in kero get your zippo (or other lighting source) and light the cig (so there is a quite a large flame coming off it due to kero) then you put the non-buring end in your mouth (the end without the tobacco)so you have fuel and a cig in your mouth so it looks like you are smoking a smoke with a huge flame on your cig then blow the cig and the fuel out at the smae time producing a fire plume

and in a performance it can be quite good
you come out with the smoke in your hand were they can see it put it in your mouth then light it (but don't breath in smoking is bad for you) take it out drop it and pretent to cough bend down to get it while you are bending down take a swig of fuel from something small like a shot glass in your pocket (put a bit of tape over the top and keep it upright so it don't leak)stand up tall again put cig back in your mouth and blow fuel and cig at the same time big plume and the plume say something like "bad case of heartburn"

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: FIRE_SPINNER

and in a performance it can be quite good
you come out with the smoke in your hand were they can see it put it in your mouth then light it (but don't breath in smoking is bad for you) take it out drop it and pretent to cough bend down to get it while you are bending down take a swig of fuel from something small like a shot glass in your pocket (put a bit of tape over the top and keep it upright so it don't leak)stand up tall again put cig back in your mouth and blow fuel and cig at the same time big plume and the plume say something like "bad case of heartburn"

You are worried about how taking a drag on a cigarette will effect your health but you want to carry on fire breathing with an unsealed fuel source in your pocket? Do you not see the bigger health risks in taking fuel into your mouth, or having a container that could easily spill out in your pocket whilst you have a HUGE naked flame inches away from your face?

Hmmmm... yes kiddies, don't smoke cigarettes they can kill you!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

87 posts

Posted:
ok skulduggery

putting fuel in your mouth that happens in anyfire breathing

before you come on you put fuel in your mouth as if you were firebreathing normally but then spit it into a shot glass and seal it off with some tape so when you lean down pull shot glass out of pocket take tape off you take all fuel in glass (which you measured with your mouth before)so it is the exactly the right amount so no fuel is left in shot glass

and a cig is what 10cm's long so you dip 5mm in fuel and put about a 1cm in your mouth the flame won't be that big

as you wrote

Written by: skulduggery

you are worried about how taking a drag on a cigarette will affect your health

i am guessing by drag you mean smoke this is not the question the question is about blow back possibly not be able to get the cig heigh enough to have enough time to walk back or if having a cig in your mouth will affect the spray pattern

and that second description i gave you is a performance example

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*tap dances his way accross the stage*
tip tap tippety tap tap tip-tip tippity tap tippity tap tap

87 posts

Posted:
what is the point in tap dancing

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Aerobic exercise, general fitness and an excrutiating feeling of happiness and wellbeing.
It sounds cool too.
:tapdancesmilie:

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
frown

This could be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

On a happier note, tapdanceing is indeed da shiznits.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

87 posts

Posted:
stupid stupid it looks cool

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Funnily enough, stupid and cool tend to go hand in hand in most cases wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

87 posts

Posted:
yes thats right

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
its might look cool, but i when you add fule and fire, you get some fumes, these will be atken into your lungs like it or not.

and kero, or any fuel will eat your lungs alive

meaning you will drown

or maybe get chemical pheumonia

im really sorry but this is the single most dumbest thing i have ever seen online, ever, and i dont just mean on hop!

fire breathing is one of the most dangerous things you can do, and you want to add the ingnition source clse to yoru face?

this is not a good idea, there are soooo many safty reasons not to, yes you can come up with an idea like this, but its all stupid.

what happens when you need to take your deep breath for your exhale, you have kero burning under your nose, and again that will be fuems in your lungs, you tidal flow inyour lungs will never remove these fume,s they will sit there and do you a lot of damage!

Step (el-nombrie)

87 posts

Posted:
ok you have a cig light in one hand and a shot glass of fuel as quick as you can take swig of making sure not to spill any then put cig in mouth leave for a couple of seconds and do not breath then blow the cig out as far as you can will still keeping the right spray pattern

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
still stupid

Step (el-nombrie)

87 posts

Posted:
how so

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Jesus, when will you get the message. This is a dumb idea. If you want to get chemical Pneumonia please do go and try it. If you want to burn your face off, again, please do go try it. Just how cool do you think you will look with a melted face laying in your coffin?

I'm kind of guessing, not so cool. I doubt its a look that will get the girls!

87 posts

Posted:
it is not me doing the trick it is one of my friends ok

chemical pneumonia were did that come in you just as much chance of getting it as you do normal fire breathing

(i don't think you fully understand the trick)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
FIRE_SPINNER; The ignition source is so close to your mouth that even the slightest mistake with you aspiration techinque you -will- get a track back and it can and probably mean a long stay in hospital and possible death. Add to that the risks of chemical penumonia and facial burns and it seems to me like the risks of it are too high. Your performance with any fire arts should be concerned with being safe and living to do your next gig more than trying to be cool and possibly hurting yourself.

It doesn't matter whether it looks cool or not, which 'plain' fire breathing does anyway, its whether or not its safe for you or anyone else who does it.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
What I understand is that everytime someone has questioned you about this you have slightly changed the way you say this stunt is done. What you don't get is I think fire breathing is not something anyone should do. Call me a party pooper, but I just don't think its worth the risks involved.

What if, when you swig your fuel into your mouth, you spill a little on your chin and then you put the cigarette to your lips...... wooooooooof! Fire on your face and a mouth full of fuel to get rid of. What do you do then? This can happen in normal fire breathing but.... well the method you described seems to be rushed and would not give you time to wipe your chin.

You can do lots of spetacular things with fire in a much safer way.

Don't get me wrong, ALL fire arts have risk and are not totally safe, but we take great care to minimise the risks. I just think fire breathing is too dangerous and your friends method is even more risky than normal fire breathing.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Skulduggery; I agree with you. I'm beginning to think that fire breathing is far too risky to perform any more. As much as I love adding it into a poi routine (locking up a hyperloop and breathing through the poi heads) I'm actually beginning to think that the risks are too great. Its because I burned my bottom lip on what I thought was a very good fire breath. I will probably still trail and such like but I'm actively reducing the number of breaths that I do in a normal routine. Even the best fire breathers in the world will agree with me when I say its too unprecitable and an accident waiting to happen. Even after spending weeks going back and working on me aspiration technique and cleaning up the ignition process without fuel and then 'dry running' before I lit up I stil got hurt. I'm not saying that because of my own, admittedly minor, injury that everyone should stop but it has made me think about whether it is really necessary to perform it as an art. All we, as performers, can do is try to minimise the risks to ourselves and if that means cutting parts of a routine out and replacing them with other techniques then I'm all for it.

The technique described above is stupidly risky and, in in a culture where safety should be paramount, it seems a good way to land the performer in hospital at best.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
the way i see it, this site is very anti - firebreathing, yet it's moderated by people who do it... see the contradiction? instead of protesting every single time someone asks about it, you might want to try simply educating them in the dangers... but first read the thread to see if anyone has done so already. if so, then SHUT UP. all you will do is restate the same thing said, and you'll look like a greek chorus... look that one up. i could explain, but you'll still ask. i breathe fire, and every time i post something about it i get MOBBED by the "don't do it!" crowd...
now on to the subject at hand... the risks not normally encountered in regular firebreathing with regard to this trick. if your lips are dry, the cigarette may STICK TO YOUR LIP, and not leave when you aspirate the fuel, leaving your face a morbid version of cherries jubilee... then there's the projectile factor. you advocate launching a small torch toward the audience? not good. add to this the fact that the cigarette may not go far enough away from you... landing on you, perhaps that wet spot the fuel in your pocket is BOUND to leave. normally i defend firebreathers to the death (to those risk-touters out there, the pun is not intended) but i am very much against this trick.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
The general idea with firebreathing, is to aspirate to send the fuel to the ignition source. Bringing the ignition source to the fuel (when the fuel container is your face) is a bad idea. You'd never rest a lit cigarette on a fuel drum, so why take the risk with your face, which should be far more valuable to you?

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

the way i see it, this site is very anti - firebreathing, yet it's moderated by people who do it... see the contradiction?

As far as I'm aware, and I may be slightly wrong, none of the moderators breathe fire any more.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:

the way i see it, this site is very anti - firebreathing, yet it's moderated by people who do it... see the contradiction?

yes i do, but im still anti, even though i breath!

Step (el-nombrie)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Even if HOP was anti-firebreathing and moderated by people who do it, there wouldn't necessarily be a contradiction.

Just becasue an experienced professional fire breathes doesn't mean they're going to approve of, or recommend it to complete newbies.

One can fire-breathe for a living, yet object to fire breathing being promoted as safe, object to 9 year olds fire breathing, object to drunks fire-breathing etc, etc (all of which have been defended here by some fire breathers in the past, all of which I have personally witnessed at events).

instead of protesting every single time someone asks about it, you might want to try simply educating them in the dangers... but first read the thread to see if anyone has done so already.

From what I've seen here, that's what happens- a fire-breathing question pops up, an observant regular spots it and immediately sticks in a reply that makes it clear, to any newbies reading the thread, that there are safety issues.

The thread then continues; unless, as often happens, someone else kicks off about the aforementioned cautionary post, or tries to argue that fire-breathing is in fact safe.

And that's it, we simply ensure that, as far as possible, all threads on fire breathing have a cautionary note.

That doesn't make HOP anti-fire breathing, it makes it pro-a responsible and realistic attitude toward fire-breathing.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

87 posts

Posted:
ok i found

1, Take a cigarette and lightly dip it halfway into paraffin,

2, Light the cigarette, take a deep breath, then take some paraffin in your mouth.

3, Kneel down on one knee, tilting the head back pointing the cigarette directly skywards.

4, Exhale as in normal fire-breathing also blowing the cigarette upwards.

5, Wipe face and mouth.

this on a website is explains it simply

and i have read pele's article "a season in hell" and all the risks involved in fire breathing and it is NOT safe

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
In this last post you didn't mention if the cigarette is in your mouth at this point. If it is, this is a really bad idea for all the reasons we've already mentioned. Please don't try it for your own sake and for the safety of any others around you.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

87 posts

Posted:
it is NOT me doing this trick i fire eat i have only fire breathed once at a party using the lamp oil from the mozzi repellers lanterns (and i was not drunk at all) it is my friend and i will reexplain the trick again in the simplest terms i can

1, Take a cigarette and lightly dip it halfway into paraffin,

2, Light the cigarette, take a deep breath, then take some paraffin in your mouth as well as the cigarette.

3, Kneel down on one knee, tilting the head back pointing the cigarette directly skywards.(so you do not inhale any fumes)

4, Exhale as in normal fire-breathing also blowing the cigarette upwards.

5, Wipe face and mouth.

i you do not understand it than well i do not know

go and put a pen in your mouth and blow it out practise at this till you get really good so the pen goes atleast 40 cm up but aim it just off vertical so it does not fall on you next do it with water in your mouth blow pen up and immediatley followed by aspriated water next step dip a cigarette in kero and put kero in mouth then blow up the cigarette followed by kero using the flame from the cigarette to ignite the flame

Page: