Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > anti-spin clarifications and naming one move thread.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
so, in honour of simians rant and my obsession with the extreme channel, I'm suggesting we give the "weaker" staff definition of anti-spin a new name of "opposite spin". (perhaps switch or fakie could also be used wink )

Also we need a name for the elbow wrap to back of hand to back of hand to elbow wrap move. Suggestions based on EWWE (elbow wrist wrist elbow) or EHHE (elbow hand hand elbow) may or may not be considered. The possiblity of naming the move after what it looks like could also be considered.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
so we have:

Body anti-spin or antiturn.

Conveyor belt or breast-stroke.

but we still need a good name for the halo neck wrap halo... And i'm not sure ewok is it, simple because it's four letters away from [censored] .

That and a symmetrical name for the frontside version.

If the latter were "death rolls" then the former would be "life rolls" somethng cheesily symmetric like that.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
what about a cheese roll meg smile

ham and pickle?

you found my brothers comoputer ok i take it smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Wouldnt mind a breakfat roll myself.

Love is the law.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I liked contraspin. tongue very oldschool

monkeys ate my brain

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
so did i. meg ignored it. shrug

and there she is claiming to be turning staff "political"... umm

antiturn keeps making me think of an ungrammatical amphora filled with breasts.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Contraspin is cool.

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
'body antispin' and 'antiturn' are both non-ambiguous terms.
'contraspin' was dismissed wiothout so much as a flick of the nose hair because there is nothing to set it apart from the term 'antispin' and thus it is in practice, no better than the term 'opposite' tongue

my next nominal submission to the field that i have no skill in will be the 'slipping halo choke' wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
grrrrr i might have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that pesky cole...

cole, i have new things to show you. with stick. they are shiny. you may wet yourself. consider it your reward for the carlton. and antiturn i suppose grumble grumble. come to spitz. will you? can you? you must. smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i will be attending privy in full force this evening hug

new things sound exciting bounce2

personally, i don't think i will spin anything other than the carlton tonight - eda is going to get pissed with us an let us all hug her lots and tell her how much we will miss her smile frown smile

iknowiknow... offtopic

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
we still need a name for those halo moves!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ok meg what about..............

erm.....

erm.....

[censored] this is hard - ive always called them halo - neck - halo, or halo - jesus -halo which i agree is a pants for a name, great for a description mind..........

mmmmmmmmm

so what about.......

the "chewy" for the frontside

the "bacca" for the backside

ubblol

i may try sensible names later........ in my defense i have just been talking to Mech who will be at my house at 5.30, so bit of a warning for you smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

3,149 posts

Posted:
halo - neck - halo = five syllables, descriptive, simple to understand and remember.

halo - jesus - halo = ditto but six instead of five, slightly diminishing my watertight case. But luckily as long as it remains watertight it cannot be diminished too far, thanks to hydraulics.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
What? You mean let them have names that are related to the actual move?

I concur, A halo neck halo isnt one move. Its three, so why give it one name?

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
its not 3 seporate moves though dude, its one flowy move that can be continous............

hense it needs one name.......

ubbidea

a continuous name biggrin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i can do a figure 8 to a pass behind the head to a figure 8 on the other side - what's that called?

ubbangel

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
crap wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ewok.

okay then. I was just suggestng it cos tim said.

So now, unless somebody has another move they desperately want named, this threads work is done! yes/no?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
meg EWOK is about as good as coles move mentioned above - this threads work is far from done, actually............

lets call it "potentially pointless" wink

biggrin

3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: the megsteinator

this threads work is done! yes/no?

actually i think it's just brought up the matter of how to break down contact in a way that is internally consistent and easy to click together, like lego.

which has come up before i believe... i'd do a search, but i need to go to lunch. oh yeah, and work eek spank
EDITED_BY: simian (1127823930)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i never thought of it like that simian........

contact is like lego biggrin

wheres Duballstar when you need him ubblol

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

its not 3 seporate moves though dude, its one flowy move that can be continous............

hense it needs one name.......

ubbidea

a continuous name biggrin

How long is a piece of string?

Building blocks are a great idea, if we start naming things like Halo Neck Halo then we have to name all the variations too. We could end up with the entire cast of star wars and the menu from the local deli guiding the futur staffers. Can you imagine the confusion when some poor new spinner turns up to a meet with a light saber and a sausage roll!!!

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

on a completley pointless side note...it is possible to fishtail a sausage roll (kingsize wink)

still working on halos - need to practice away from the dog ubbloco

3,149 posts

Posted:
how long is your string though ado?

3 moves or 6?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
or four or seven

frinstance

Halo Neck Halo

Halo Neck Halo Jesus Frontside Neck (and other stuff i cant do in plane).

I reckon that just because three moves can be done in sequence and continiously doenst mean it should have a single name, because any one of those moves can be taken out and done by itself or replaced by a varation or added to/subracted from.

now about my string smile

do you want me to measure it in inches? wink

Love is the law.

3,149 posts

Posted:
actually what i was getting at was:

try just cutting your strings in half or quarters, and you may find that what you thought were unrelated parts of different strings are actually identical.

Halo = 1 move

but it can be split in half and one of those halves will still = 1 move

i think that a 180 rotation is the obvious lego block for vertical contact

but with horizontal it's all a bit more squirly.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
im sure millimeters will be fine dude biggrin

i do hear what your saying about naming continuos moves of contact, they are more a conjunction of moves....... although the moves them selves have names its hard to name to all the transistions between each move which gives you your "string" in the first place.

So, back to building blocks it is. pain in the arse for describing moves though............ but then again are we naming specific moves here or should we be using the gaming word "combo"

smile

my string is about 7 or 9 depends on whos around wink

amelimelienewbie
16 posts

Posted:
hey guys!
so just in order to make things clearer, if you do fish tail with a sausage roll, does the sausage have to be made of fish ??

they're laughing at you but, look ! they're laughing !

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
no because that would be a fish roll rolleyes

defeating the whole purpose of using a sausage roll in the first place smile

ubbloco

/sillyness.....for now.....

3,149 posts

Posted:
hmm, well sausage tails are corkscrew shaped

ubbidea

amelimelienewbie
16 posts

Posted:
hey, by the way, happy birthday strugz !!!
hope this year will be full of rolls, and wraps and tails and a lot more jedi/cooking names !!!

they're laughing at you but, look ! they're laughing !

Page: