Forums > Social Chat > Does anyone know how to take staff spinnin up as a profession

Login/Join to Participate

FlashburnSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
heya all i was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Does anyone know of any agencies that employ fire spinners for events ,festivals or summthin like it ,say cheers if ya have any info.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about agencies but a good way to start is to get a buskers or street performers licence for the major city in your area and perform there. Get some buisness cards printed out and hand them out while doing that to get your name out, that way you'll get gigs at parties and suchlike. Then just see what happens from there but try not to aim too high at first. Also go to festivals like Download or Glasto and perform there so that the people who organise them might see you and just pray that you have good luck. You'll have to be pretty fantastic to get any major gigs but smaller ones (high school proms, birthdays or local faires) are relatively simple to get, if you talk to the right people.

If you are going to talk to someone about a gig take some of your props with you and give them a demonstration (nothing too flashy, save that for the actual performance) to show them the kind of things that you can do and always be polite. If they ask for you to perform with fire ask them to allow an assistant so that you have a safety, ask to be allowed to set up the performance area yourself and always, always, always check local laws regarding fire performance and risk assessments.

There's a few more things that I can't remember right now (I have them on a list along with a few other things like my buskers permit) but I'll post them later whne I dig it out.

Xand

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

FlashburnSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
cheers for the advice, if ya have the info that would help me out a lot n do you also know where to find out about local fire regulations like a sight or info on where to go to find out eg for london

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Insurance will also be a major issue. Many performers here are required to have $10 million public liability and I am sure it is the same where you are.. just the figure may be different. Also on top of people 'requiring' you to be safe, you MUST be safe.. have extinguishers first aid etcetcetcetc with you.If you light something it is totally your responsibility to see it doesn't hurt anyone or anything and that it is put out safely as well.

Also suggest you do a [Old link] cos this question has been asked a number of times before and there is lots of good advice already

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
you can put your name on this contact list when you decide to take opn some shows.
https://www.fire-dancing.com/

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
Anyone live in Hampshire that does poi or fire poi as a profession? I want to get into it.

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:

*puts out a hat*

tadaaaa!

wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
personally... I joined the circus

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.