Forums > Social Chat > A question for the ladies (guys - dont bother reading this)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
hey chicks
I'm just about to go back on the pill as without it I feel like a stressed teenager. so is it just me - does the pill have a placebo effect on moods, or does it really help with "female problems"?

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Golly. Noone oughta lose that much blood. :is very shocked:

Doctor Karl (has anyone outside Australia heard of him?) says the pill can make lasses subconsiously like the smell of lads who geneticly are very similar to themselves rather than geneticly different cos it mimickssome of the effects of pregnancy, so going on it when you've got a lad (or a lass for that matter I guess, I don't know what the effects pheremone wise'd be there) could make for a romantic hiccup.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I've done a fair amount of research with my boyfriend before I went on the pill. I'm still on it now, and will be for another month and a half. From there, I have to talk to my Dr. here at home. I'm on Lamuna 30, but I think it's only in Germany and France. I'm still actually a bit confused, as it is called a mini-pill, but has both estrogen and progesterone (spelling?) in it, which normally makes them a combined pill. I've been pleased with the pill except for one major setback (in my mind...)

It doesn't just cover the physical ways to prevent pregnancies. It also seems to make me never. In. The. Mood. Ever, practically. As in, actually noticable during the weeks in which I didn't have to take it. Which angers me a bit, I suppose.

I also *really* dislike having to take a pill every day. I find it hard to keep track of. Normally I'm pretty good, because I have an alarm on my watch that goes off when I need to take it. But sometimes, like today, I'm in the middle of something, my alarm goes off, and I forget to take it until eight hours later, like today. I dislike how un-flexible the doctors make it seem. It has to be taken every day, at the same time. I can't do that! Just doesn't work for me...

For that reason, I'm considering trying other forms. I only started on the pill, as it was the easiest to get, most readliy accessable, and I agreed with my mum when she advised me to start off with the most basic, and most tested and reliable form. The problem now, is that all other options seem to have some kind of set back.

I've read that depo-provera can actually prevent you from having periods, which freaks me out, as I believe in having that flow to remain physically balanced. The implant can get infected (not likely though). The patch just seems awkward. The pill is inconvienient.

No win situation!! But I guess the only way is to try and see how things go!

Hope my opinions were a bit helpful to someone... But check stuff out on the internet. Although not all of it is always real, you can get a pretty good idea of what you're getting in to if you read enough about it!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Guys something I was told by my counsellor the other day is that you need to be VERY VERY careful if you have a history of depression,when getting the implant and espically the injection...

The implant can be removed, but if you react badly to the injection then there is nothing the DRs can do for you and you can look forward to close on 12 months of hormonal moods...

she said ESPICALLY someone who has had post natal depression shouldnt use this type of contraception. It brings it back full force.

just thought Id share

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

mmm... 3 of my friends had that implant thing, and they all had to get it taken out... it made one of them bleed for 3 months straight (well thats one form of contraception huh?) one of them really moody, and one of them... i think her friend got pregnant on it anyway so she got it out and went back on the pill cuz she didn't trust it...

and i told you the boys would be in here anyway, they either can't read or just like sticking their noses in where they don't belong....

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
depo provera didnt work for me, but the pill definately stops the PMT "attitude" & cramps from my perspective, if 1 doesn't work, don't be afraid to try a lower "hormonal" type
Good luck

Are you up for it?
wink;)

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
i've only just read the first bit of this thread, so apologies if this is way out of context now.

i first went on the pill (monophasic, meaning its the same hormones throughout the active pills) before i was sexually active because my moods were all over the place, and it was cyclical, so my doc thought the pill could even me out a bit. i can't really say whether it helped or not, because i had other interventions which i attribute to my mood sorting itself out.

i'm still on a monophasic pill as contraception thesedays, but i'll sometimes take a break from it for a month or two, just cos i feel it's better for me (this is just what i feel, not based on anything medical). but whenever i take a break, my emotions go crazy when i'm premenstral. i have a feeling that it's mainly just the adjustment to not having a controlled amount of hormones in my bod, it takes a while to auto regulate it. but that's just my little theory.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
about time we had a thread about women's problems - guys, make up your own thread... about how hard it is to be a guy (excuse the pun) sorry i mean difficult
ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about alternatives to the pill, as I'm really crap at remembering to take it. I've fecked up my body clock sooooo many times by forgetting the pill and then having random periods.

OrangeBobo - I heard the injection stops your period too. Anyone know if this is true? not sure how i'd feel having NO periods.

hug
EDITED_BY: Helz Bellz (1125478414)

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hels its true it does.

I want to add something to this that a little off topic but not much. This is not aimed at anyone in particular. Its just a general statement.

If you are taking the pill to stop you getting pregnant is that the only form of protection you use? If so I'd like to say to you that unless you know your partner is "clean" please use condoms too. However careful someone has been in the past or however many promises they make you that they are "clean" you never know. It only takes on mishap for a person to be a carrier of an STI/STD. Don't be afraid to look after your own health by insisting your partner uses a condom.

Stay safe..... This statement also applies to the men reading this. Use a condom and protect yourself!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
nice one skully.

clap

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Written by: Helz Bellz

OrangeBobo - I heard the injection stops your period too. Anyone know if this is true? not sure how i'd feel having NO periods.

hug

Yep and it's great. Worry free. Best invention ever. Can't ever remember what it was like to have one. Bliss!

Gayle.....!

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: FoxInDocs

and i told you the boys would be in here anyway, they either can't read or just like sticking their noses in where they don't belong....

Don't belong? So when my Girlfriend is crying in pain on the bed because of period pains, I should just stand around doing bugger all? I'd like to be able to make helpful gestures and suggestions, rather than saying "Your problem, I don't know anything about it." Also, the method of contraception concerns both of us, so it would be good if we both knew about the pros and cons of each one.

And before anyone says "You don't know anything about it" then I'll add my two cents.

My current girlfriend was on anti-depressants a year ago, when her GP recommended the pill. A few months later, she went back, because she was experiencing serious mood swings and depression. Turns out the two types of pill had conflicted, and she now has a *permanent* hormone imbalance which needs to be remedied with daily pills.

So, try and make sure that any other meds you happen to be on don't collide, because it can seriously screw with your system. I think most people know this, but thought I'd mention it anyway because no-one else has. smile hug

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
ah but as women we dont have mention it we just know it lol

i didnt say you couldn't comment on the subject tho - if you have something worth saying then say it!

Periods suck ubblol

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I did... wink

It's just I don't like it when people turn hostile about gender issues, and say "none of your business" because if I'm in a relationship with someone it *is* my business. The same as any problems I have are her business too.

I'll second that. They do mad

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Helz, depo can prevent you from having your period, like the others have said. However, that being said, it's not postively going to have that affect for everyone. A friend of mine who went on depo had no periods for a couple months, but have slowly returned to her. It all depends on your body, and your hormones.

This stuff sucks, doesn't it?

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

So when my Girlfriend is crying in pain on the bed because of period pains, I should just stand around doing bugger all?

----------------------------------------------------------
A hot water boyyle and a back/tummie rub usually work. My dude does it for me. biggrin

sorry but i dont know how to end quote. I am ashamed! redface

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
[ /quote ]

like dat smile
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1125499337)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
marie you write after the [ / quote ] code

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I tried the Depo-Provera injection for a while. First i bled for 10 weeks, then i turned into a psychopath, who didn't have periods, but constantly felt pre-menstrual, compete with mood swings, cramps and bloating. And it made my spots worse.

I had to stop for my sanity. And i ended up breaking up with the boyfriend who was the reason for the whole thing in the first place, because he thought i was a mad woman, and didn't believe me that it was just the hormones.

On the plus side, it took very little effort, but never again. i guess everyone reacts differently to these things - in know some of you have had great experiences with depo.

Also, not sure if anyone else has heard about this, but the reason my doctor talked me into getting the shot in the first place (as opposed to the pill) was that allegedly the pill was a bad idea for women with a family history of breast cancer (which my mother died of). Does anyone know much about this link?

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
they say that the pill increases the risk of cancerous growth in breast tissue, but breastfeeding is supposed to be a way of dramatically reducing that risk.

so get your boobs out girls!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
and much as periods suck ass I think it'd be odd not to have them.
But then thinking about it it would be kinda cool..

Im going to look into the implant/injection thing because I am a scatty little cow and cannot be trusted to take a pill everyday..

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I have a friend who has been on depo and not had a period for like five years... she had a lot of problems when she did have them, so she's happy about it, but that seems weird to me... as much as i don't like the idea of trusting something that bleeds for 5-7 days and doesn't die, surely.....

Of course its guys problems too... they just don't realize it usually.,.... yay sethis!

Personally hormonal birth control scares me, but ..... thats just an opinion.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
Ok I know I wasn't supposed to read this but how could I not after you said not to.

But I may be able to tell ya a few things cuz I am a guy who actully care about this stuff.

Any of the Pills, shots, rods, etc can mess your whole hormone mix up. There are side effect for all of them. Some women the pill works well but the rods will make her gain weight and be all pissy. Some women it is the other way. My last girlfriend had an IUD, now that is only for women who have had kids. She claims it is the best. Diaphrams are also good. What I am trying to say is using a drug is not the best way. They can really mess up you bodies chemical messages.

One of the thing I have been check out recently is the male pill. Yeah men are waiting to get a pill they can take. At least here in the USA. This pill has a lot less side effects than the ones for women. Do me a favor and try to get the guys you know to get the Male Pill on the market. I for one would like to have something besides a condom to choose from.

I thought I waz just dreammin'?!!??!!??!! Dis place can't really be real.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh sethis if it hurts her so much Ide recomend Ibuprofen Gel, its a really good pain releif and couse its a gel she can rub it into the areas where she gets her period pains and itle target the sorce (at least ide imagine you can get to where the period pains are with a gel), well theres allways ibuprofen in pills, its definatly better than asprin or paracetamol I reackon.

The gels is used for, strains, rheumatic problems/muscular pain, sprains, sports injuries and back ache. SO I reackon if its strong enough to be good against that it might at the very least make her pains put up with-able (nice choice of word ther eh)

Just dont rub in more than 4 - 10 centermeters of the gel in couse it is Ibuprofen and you dont wanna overdose on the stuff. Says the dosage on the back too

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
*scratches head*

don't wanna get myself in deep water here...but aren't period pains more like cramps?
(I'm not pretending I know stuff so please tell me in a PM or whatever and set me straight. I appreciate learning about stuff that makes me understand more about different situations so i can cope in the future)

sorry for barging in ladies...

It's better to burn out than to fade away

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Some of them are, some of them arn't.....

I get ones that people say are like pregnancy pains (it feels to me like my ovaries are sore!) but its really weird lower back stuff...

but i'm definetly not normal.....

I'm not sure if the gel would work, honestly, might be worth a go tho, usually they're caused by some sort of diet imbalance, but very few people seem to be any good at fixing them either!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
sharp pains in the ovaries..

odd horrible achy cramp in your tummy..

and aaaaching in your lower back..

gotta love the menstrual cycle smile
EDITED_BY: *Aimée* (1125524909)

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
*plugs ears*

La-la-la-la I'm not listening

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
*looks aound not understanding the conversation*

oooo guys dont read! redface

ubblol

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Why do str8 guys make a fuss about this sort of conversation? I swear sometimes you guys need to suck it up and stop being so nancy! (ha yes the irony)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Page: