Joshaynewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Ok,
I know i haven't been around on the forums too often and i'm still pretty new to Melbourne but i've discovered some fundamental problems with the way the sunday fire nights are going.

The location is dark, REALLY dark. If it's dark then newbies won't be able to introduce themselves. People won't be able to teach others. Jugglers can't juggle anything except fire and lights and it's extremely hard to catch the attention of any passers by.

Solution: We need to move somewhere that has light. Light doesn't dull the appearance of fire, if anything it shows that there's a person amongst the flames. Also, In a lighter location, interested passers aren't going to be as intimidated or scared to ask questions. Jugglers will be able to juggle AND people will be able to hold lessons and mini workshops on things.
It's time we face it, The group is tiny and very hard to get involved with, particularly if you have no fire experience.

One other thing; I don't know about the rest of you but sunday seems to be the night before monday. I havelots do on mondays and so don't have the luxury of getting to sleep in.
I'm from Adelaide and let me tell ya, the fire culture there is BOOMING!!!
Friday night people coming home from restraunts and the like are able to pass by and watch the show. Drummers, DJs, Spinners, Jugglers, Dancers, Acrobats, everything street culture has to offer. Only because the group is accessable.

I know many of you are adverse to change so i'm not gonna try and convince you to change. But what i can say is that as of this friday i will be under the swanson street bridge under the arts center at 8pm.
If this time is more accessable to you than sundays then come along and you're garunteed at least one other spinner who is more than
happy to teach and learn.

Eventually, if i can obtain the help of someone with a car, I shall try to provide communal keroscene because i know how horrible it is having to try and lug it everywhere.

Anywho, tis all
If ya want any more info or have any suggestions then post away, or you can reach me on MSN at dance_sk8@hotmail.com
See you on friday!!!

The eternal question, which came first, the spinner or the juggler....

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
yeah, the past few sunday's when it's been raining we've headed under the bridge. it definitely does have its benefits, but personally i feel more comfortable in the park, i'm not sure why.

i love going on sundays, because i generally don't have anything on that night, whereas fridays are usually busy. although next time i'm looking for something to do on a friday i'll definitely come in for a play. have fun hug

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by roarfire

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

The FadeSILVER Member
fading happily....
212 posts

Posted:
if fridays under the bridge are still going mid september when im nolonger working friday nights and im back in the country then ill come along!

i agree with myco, the park just has some sort of charm about it. and i dont know if making sundays a big thing is really what most of us want. not to say we'd turn anyone away or anything but youve seen it josh, its more of a social night with a bit of spinning than it is a spinning night with a bit of social. its just a great chance for us all to get together and be silly for a bit. i think this is why we've never worried about finding a better spot or attracting more people. plus stax on ambushes would hurt on the concrete under the bridge.

so if you can get another spinning night up and running then im all in.

mmm being able to see the balls when i juggle, surely its just a dream. the shangrilah of spinning meets.

We walk light
Down the wires
Higher than weather baloons
Empty hearts on fire...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
this important notice belongs in the [Old link], does it not?
people interested in melbourne gatherings won't be too impressed about having to look up multiple threads.

if you have searched for sunday meets and have found this thread, please click on the main thread started by ataxia for further information.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Joshaynewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Ummm, no.
As you can see this is about a FRIDAY spinning session where all are welcome, thus it's relavence stretches farther than the sunday spinning thread.
But thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I'm so excited to live in a state where the spinners are all so welcoming and cuddly. footinmouth

The eternal question, which came first, the spinner or the juggler....

6,978 posts

Posted:
ahh you are correct, FRIDAY it is smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Yeah i'm up for a friday night meet up.

But 'under a stinky bridge' Vs 'in a beautiful park'? hmm, the park wins imo.

Anything going on down st kilda way? Would be nice to start the thursday meets up again. I hate heading up into the city.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Friday nights eh? If I wasn't a binge drinker beerchug and getting drunk on Friday nights I would certainly be up for it.

If my liver fails me, I'll try and stop by rolleyes

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

6,978 posts

Posted:
this is a year old thread about Joshay's suggestions on how he would like the melb meets near the arts centre run.

If you are arriving at this thread looking for current information on the said meets, please point yo browser in this direction:
[Old link]

Matt, the idea behind moving from the three-trees site in the gardens was that it has been so consistently antartically cold™ that often it had to be moved to the under-bridge™ location. later, it was simply moved there for convenience.

There is nothing stopping ya of course in starting up a new meet!! just make sure you're still in the country on the 31st sos we can have a vid night. I'll bring the vaseline™.

b