Forums > Social Discussion > More on British Culture... Gingers

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I hadn't even actually heard the term ginger haired used before I went there- in the US we are boring and say red. But what I missed was the apparently deragatory nature of it, and what a problem it can actually be. Talking to people, I've since learned that as a red-head in britain you expect to be abused about it all through school and in general even when you are out walking... this mystifies me, but after I started looking for it I found a lot of stories. So...

Brits, is it really that bad? Does it depend where you are?

Have any non brits seen it? Particuarly orange people might be called carrot top here, and are stereotyped to not like their hair, but... its certainly not much!

I know its essentially just another form of racism, and this one even has a gene seperating them from others, but.... how very strange! Any thoughts or explanations welcome...

Kyri ubbrollsmile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
I'm ginger and got the usual taunts through school and even banter with my mates about it now, and it doesn't bother me at all.

but after travelling for a couple of years it does seem to be mainly a british phenomenom. Women from virtually every other country in the world seem to love it. The amount of women i had asking me if i could tell them what colour i dyed my hair in australia was ridiculous, so my advice to all british ginger men, leave the country and it'll serve u well smile

Ninjas NEVER give up!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
My guess would be flirt divert is dating, more so? I mean surely, if you don't find gingers attractive you shouldn't date them, altho i'd think she' d be a little nicer! I mean if I didn't want to date someone because they wern't attractive, I wouldn't be like, oh, you're ...whatever, overweight, i'd be like, "I'm just not that attracted to you, I'm sorry"

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
There was an article in todays Metro that said doctors have found that people with ginger hair have a higher pain threshold then other people, due to something about our "ginger gene".
I can't remember it word for word but that was the general gist of it smile

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Aimee if you dont like gingers then its ok to say "sorry but your not my thing". If you dont like something you dont like it, theres nothing wrong with that.

I like to think that british take the piss couse we are not whineing nancy frou frou's who run around screaming at the top of there lungs DISCRIMINATION, for fcuk sake get a life there are more important things to worrie about in life other than someone called you a name....oh big deal worrie about something that matters like how to pay of your mortgage lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
flirt divert is a voice messaging service set up by bbc radio one.
If you're out and about and someone asks for your number, and you don't particulary like them, you give them the number for radio ones flirt divert answer machine.
They then play the messages the people leave to the whole of the country smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
thats... amusing and strange! (flirt divert)

and i don't think its fair to say that people calling people names shouldn't be worried about. If it gets in the way of said mortgage, thats obviously a problem, but even that aside, people can get pretty fecked up over a lifetime of it....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
one thing i've noticed over the years is that apart from the occaision drunk fool, the persons that call people names in the streets are the non-educated delinquants that seem to plague the streets on a daily basis, and the thing they don't seem to understand is that ginger people, including myself, have had this abuse all their life and are quite impartial to someone yelling "ginger" at them, and to be honest, if someone has a problem with someone else because they're ginger, they can go f**k themselves.

plus it's rather fun getting admiring looks from women in foreign countries as you walk past tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
And ya know, I had absolutly no memory that you were ginger. Shows what I know tongue

Altho, as I recall, you were hiding your hair when i met you....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
well it's either hiding it, or having it ripped out while trying to do contact staff... and i know which one is less painful tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Nice one Kyle what us aid in your two posts have been tres cool, we the ginger kids of hop smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
i must say you look very handsome in those pics of flamouth4 will. wink

im ginger converted!!

You'll find me on the dance floor

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
which flamouth4 pics are they missy ? biggrin

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I might want to know too, as I have no idea who will is!

And Havokist- yeah- at Fal I wrapped my hair up in one of rob's staff handles.... ouch!

Why is it that some people adjust really well and say "oh, its just the dregs of society" but others get quite upset by it?

I mean, it seems to me that people, once grown, have two seperate expiriences going on here... even tho perhaps only bored drunks yell "Oi Ginger!" on the street, a lot of people expect to not be fancied at all on account of their ginger-ness. (Or, at best, perhaps in spite of it) And their mates just confirm this almost constantly it seems....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Written by: WilIy

which flamouth4 pics are they missy ? biggrin

ubblol "missy" ubblol

Ginger people are also apparently better in bed than non-gingers. Apparently all the taunting gets deep into the core and they try harder. from my experience it seems pretty true....anyone else??

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

Ginger people are also apparently better in bed than non-gingers. Apparently all the taunting gets deep into the core and they try harder. from my experience it seems pretty true....anyone else??

eek
If thats true I think all women should taunt and abuse men, ginger or not, into thinking they are snivelling pathetic excuses for their spieces.
Think of the rewards!! biggrin biggrin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
erm didn't just mean men honey...
wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
oh I know..
its just that men were put on the earth to pleasure women, obviously wink

back to the topic in hand...
I think that if you meet me, I'm going like you whatever your hair colour is smile
Hair colour is irrelevent..its just..pathetic? to call somebody names because they have ginger hair. Its not like they had a choice in the matter!
Plus ginger is sexy, so there smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'd love for someone to actually pay attention to the more recent question i posited, but in response to mynci......

wink

I'd have to say I might agree. Altho I actually would attribute it to the rather fiery personality rather than trying harder because of any self esteem thing.... guys with self esteem things don't wind up like this!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

oh I know..
its just that men were put on the earth to pleasure women, obviously wink

... and people say men are the sex-crazed ones.

Willy - is bad for your health...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Sorry kyrian...
I think those who react well to it know full well that the taunting is from idiots or actually IS good natured. those who take it to heart may be those who got serious bullying at school or who are jst more sensitive.

I still find nothing funnier than el ginger one taunting gingers...it confuses them that it could come from such an obvious carrot top (you know it ginge wink)

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Its true ginger people are much better in bed smile

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

ive heard this, though ive not had the actual pleasure. wink
If i can continue the pretence that im a girl to Will, maybe ill be in with a shot ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

You'll find me on the dance floor

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ubblol shh it's a secret...buddy get off that island and come 4 a spin, ginger or not we'll make you welcome.

Seriously anyone superficial enough to judge on something as meaningless as hair colour is the one with deep issues they really need to sort out.. meditate soapbox

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
The sensitivity thing makes sense. That and I suspect the more you are around people who actually won't fancy you or expect anyone else to because your ginge, even if they love being friends with you, it prolly gets to them... I can see where it would!

*Is generally amused by the topics this thread wanders into*

Btw, ... they say (its an american thing, but possibly others?) Once you go black you can't go back..... is the same thing true of the firey ones, dya think? tongue Cause if so me living in the US isn't going to work out at all.... tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

nusku42Member
19 posts

Posted:
To all those who judge a person by the color of anything, we are all the same in the dark. Except the bald ones like me you can spots us at a touch of the head, but all I ask is be gentle with my chrome dome.

The ranting of a man! soapbox

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
i'll let you know kyrian if i ever change biggrin

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
i thought you lot would be bored of talking about the the red head race obviously not one thing im confused about is this if made this joke :

how do you stop a ginger from drowning

take your foot of thier head

i love this joke which when you tell it ,people find it amusing but if you substitue ginger with another word for example black man it becomes racist i dont get it why is it like that
EDITED_BY: el ginger 1 (1124190842)

i dont get paid to belive i get paid to destroy things

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
i agree with the firey reheads thing - we are better in bed and addictive!
wink

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
I've thought red hair was brilliant since watching Pippy Longstockings at age four, perhaps earlier than that too. biggrin #Hugs all present redheads#
Wish I was a ginger, I could dye my hair but I'd still not have the genes and I want orange headed kids! Plus I want to do my hair pink and purple.
Being as my tastes run towards redheads anyway I'm rather happy to find out they're better in bed. wink #Considers# Must work on my skills there to make for fair exchange.

Written by: Brit_Joe

Aimee if you dont like gingers then its ok to say "sorry but your not my thing". If you dont like something you dont like it, theres nothing wrong with that.

C'mon lad, it's a flipping haircolour. That shouldn't affect if anyone likes anyone else or not. I quite like that the lad gave her the flirt divert number instead of his after the date though. ubbrollsmile

As to the take your foot off their head thing I'd guess it's historical. Some prejudices are seen as worse (and they're definately bad, I'm not saying this kinda thing's even close to decent) than others becuase of what's been done with them. Being horrible to someone black becuse of their being black is glared at loads partly because it's as wrong as doing it to anyone else but also cos people have been lynched for their skin colour in huge ammounts and people associate the insults and such with the murders.
I don't want to be nasty to Jews either, the humour's brilliant, but were I to try I'd instantly conjure up images of Nazis and their permanent holiday camps. Of course people still get away with being generally horrible to the remaining Romany and Sinti, but that's a whole other mess of ideas...Anyway, so fas as I know noone's been tortured or otherwise violently victimised for having red or orange hair so there isn't such an association between people being reddist and horrible killing bastards. I could just be talking out my arse here of course, so if this looks like garbage please tell me why. wink smile

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Personally, i believe inslting someone for the colour of their hair is just the same as insulting someone for the colour of their skin

Page: