red1Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hello, Im new to all of this...Poi and HoP. I was hoping to find people in Birmingham, UK that would be interested in meeting up for practise and sharing tips?

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
hey red, welcome to the neighbourhood.

im planning to move to birmingham next yr, so lets stay in tough and we can spin when the time comes.

why dont you tell us more about yourself, then they will come.

You'll find me on the dance floor

red1Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi A.F, Where are you living now? Heres some info about me and POI.
I went Silloth Folk Festival last year and saw a woman spinneing fire. I thought it looked great. but only a month ago I realised that I should give it a go. So I bought ribbon Poi and now im hooked. Im not brilliant, just managed the weave, butterfly, giant butterfly, and almost got alternate butterfly. the behind the head stuff stumps me!
I take it, you are way better than me...everyone usually is!
Red.

lastrenshaimember
31 posts

Posted:
Hey guys.. I'm part of Birmingham Uni Circus..
we spin on mondays 5-7pm, during the hols though we're meeting up at the same time, though near the clock tower at the uni smile come along, should be fun! biggrin

red1Member
6 posts

Posted:
That sounds cool, im not sure of the directions to the clock though, and is there any costs involved?

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
sounds like theres a good birmingham group of spinners i can tag along with then when i move. biggrin

im currently back home for the summer, red, on the glorious isle of wight. its a beautiful place, but im missing the uni ruckus i left back in farnham, surrey.

im intending to do a P.G.C.E in art teacher training at B.I.A.D if you know where that is. either way im moving there with my two current housemates as its cheaper than moving to london, and is very up and coming i hear. is this right?

i also wouldnt worry about not having many moves down at the mo, as they come with experience. there are some amazing poiers on this site and some peeps fairly new to it, im middling id say. remember, in a way the performence of the moves says more than the amount you can do. ubbrollsmile

You'll find me on the dance floor

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello, welcome to HOP!!

weavesmiley wave

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Gidg bounces in on her pogo stick ... boing ... boing ... boing ...

Welcome to HoP!

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

red1Member
6 posts

Posted:
A.F...Yep, Birmingham is becoming quite the hub of new paths. I hope you find it interesting when you arrive. I personally avoid places like Broad street. Thats where alot of the clubs are, also drunken dangerous goings on. I prefer the arty side of things, Mosely is great, the MAC (midlands arts centre) and cannon hill park always run groovy activities and there are some great places to practice. Also in Selly oak I believe there is a juggling/circus thing going on...I only just found that out, so thats as much as i know on that.

b3xBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
juggly circus thing in sellyoak??? anymore details on that? Living in sellyoak over summer with a freind while i'm homeless waiting for uni to begin again....how I miss it! Finding it a little difficult to play poi in the back garden without getting tangled in the washing line! I'd love to go where lastrenshai said by the clock tower but i work those hours goddammit!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i'm in nuneaton

welcoem to HOP hehehe i'm that tired i can't spell ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Theres a Juggling shop in Selly Oak on the high street where all the mushroom shops used to be. I think its next to a reptile pet store. I'm sure they will have info on anything thats going on. Its also where I got my fire poi from biggrin

If you want to spin on nights out head to the custard factory in digbeth - they are usually more than accomodating as long as you are sensible about where you do it. (obviously fire is out of the question) They have big outdoor areas so space is usually not a problem.

I go to Brum a lot for nights out. My brother lives in Erdington (unlucky). Next time I'm in town for a night out I'll see if anyone else is up for it smile

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
oooooooooooh [Old link]

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

red1Member
6 posts

Posted:
B3x...
Juggly circus thingy is on saturdays 10-12 adm £2 at the Selly oak centre...the big georgian/edwardian (Im crap at architecture dates!) ...white with wooden beams building. All ages, all skills.

Seye...
Yep, its a great shop, ok prices and a good choice of equipment. I too got my poi there. im working with ribbons at the mo, but am on the look out for some glow poi, then perhaps in a million years i might get good enough to get fire poi