FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

So, I usually work in IT but over the last 6 weeks, and coming 2 weeks, i've been working in records management... and it's the most boring job i've ever been in (hence my quickly growing post count). So i thought i'd entertain you all by telling you about it, and hope you'd entertain me with similar stories. Feel free to do all you can to prove that your jobs's more boring than mine so i don't feel so bad :-p

onto my job... what i do is:

i come in, in the morning, and open a bunch of mail and sort it into boxes to go to people in the rest of the corporation.

then i look up some claims and send them onto insurance agents (the company i work at looks after injured workers claims)

then i get some boxes of closed claim files and work them out into neumerical order and enter the claim numbers into the computer and tape up the boxes and send them away to the storage place.

i do this every day and it's really boring.

who's job is more boring?

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Ohhh...I want to put in my job for this coveted award of most boring job on the earth....

I do nothing but answer phone calls all day....nothing else at all...and in between calls I do nothing...that's right nothing...because there is nothing else to do with my job.

I wait for a phone call and answer it...woohooo....

That's why I spend copious amounts of time on the internet or reading.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

wow that does sound boring. but... do you get that guilty feeling when you're doing nothing like you should be doing something? cuz that's the worst part about mine... i know i should be sorting this box that's sitting at my elbow... but, complaining on here, and looking at pictures of fire, and listening to this nasty woman next to me bitch about how everyone in IT are morons (when she knows perfectly well that's my usual job) is just so much more interesting...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Try having three children gasping for breath in front of you.

Some days I *wish* my job was boring...

Sheer terror is many things, but not boring. help

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

yeah, that'd kinda suck. *pats*

But we're talking about boring job's Doc, not interesting ones :-p done any boring jobs in the past?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: FoxInDocs

So, I usually work in IT but over the last 6 weeks, and coming 2 weeks, i've been working in records management... and it's the most boring job i've ever been in (hence my quickly growing post count).

righto soapbox (pulls out sword in readiness to defend the honour of record management people everywhere)

part of my job involves records - and I love it ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove yep, not boring at all...

I think that if I had to work in IT all the time, I'd find that terribly boring eek wink ubblol

Apples and oranges really...

(FoxinDocs - Seriuosly, I do hear your pain - you either love records or hate 'em)

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

but there's no thinking... you just... kinda... put the files in the box, type the numbers, stick up the box, put the files in the box, type the numbers, stick up the box, put the files in the box, type the numbers, stick up the box, put the files in the box, type the numbers, stick up the box, etc..... boring. *dies*

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: FoxInDocs

but there's no thinking... you just... kinda... put the files in the box, type the numbers, stick up the box, put the files in the box, type the numbers, stick up the box, put the files in the box, type the numbers, stick up the box, put the files in the box, type the numbers, stick up the box, etc..... boring. *dies*

And your point is? wink ubblol

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

well, i suppose it's all cool if you don't like thinking much... but, like, i do.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
hope you're afternoon speeds up - mine just finished and now I'm out to play ubbrollsmile

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
*shakes fist* damn you...

nah, i finish, in half an hour so it's ok... that's one good thing about records... finish stupidly early, like 4 -4:30, not 5:30 - 6...

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Boring jobs > Crappy jobs. Ill take a boring job that pays well over a job where you get treated like crap and make 8 bucks an hour any day.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
My most boring job was counting pages...

... seriously, that's all I did for about 3 months, at a publishing firm. Count one page, put a mark on a bit of paper. Count another page, put another mark on the sheet of paper. Mon - fri 8 - 5.30. I thought I was going mad by the end of it, had made up all kinds of wierd counting games and racing games to help pass the time.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
i love my job...i really do. but they can't make it full time (i've just left college) so i have to go out into the big wide world and do some proper work.

so far my job is something like this...
arrive at work, gossip with girls whilst putting stock out, serve customers, sell some cameras (get very excited about cameras), toddle into the lab, develop some films, print some photos (laugh at nekkid people), pack some photos (laugh at photos), repeat. eventually i get to go home.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
1. Get in
2. Open some mail
3. input some application forms
4. Send out some letters
5. do some filing
6. try to fill some time out
7. eat own hand off
8. go home

ARGH!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
My job now is not too boring. HOwever, I once had the most boring job ever...I sat in a small room for 12 hours a day, as 350,000 marbles (the kind that go in spray paint cans, not the kind you play with) rolled down a hopper into boxes. As they flowed, it was my job to very quickly pull out the crappy ones...very boring, and if I missed one crappy marble (one out of the 3,000 or so in each box...24 boxes in each crate...that's a lot of opportunity for missing...) the buyers would send the entire crate back, then I would be in lotsa trouble...Fortunately that never happened....But doing that for twelve hours a day, it became a struggle to stay awake.

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
Most boring job i had would probably be unloading bread baking trays from a giant bakery convyer belt. 8 hours of work, were you cant talk as there is too much noise, you cant do anything other than put trays on for two hours, then put bigger ones on for 2 hours, then take them all off for the next four hours. Long, hot, boring work.

Do we sleep when we die?

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
my job is pretty boring too. not really much fun saying "can i take your order please"

i work for mcdonald's *shudders*

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
*feels v smug about brilliance of job and team*

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i wouldn't say mines oring..just....busy. I work in a resthome on saturday mornings.

I get to work, do handover with the staff before me, cook breakfast for 3 remaining trays, take 3 trays up to residants, clean up entire kitchen from nightshift, collect trays, empty dishwasher, go around all the rooms with black sack emptying bins/making beds/cleaning bathrooms, go upstairs brin C down to the living room, get a cup of milk for C. Do 19 cups of tea/coffee/milk/horlicks/water with lemon for the 19 residants, have a tea break, collect 19 cups, load dishwasher, lay up trays in kitchen for residnats lunch, lay up dining room tables for lunch, empty dishwasher, take trays to residants, help with moving of residants from rooms to dining room, give residants dinner, give them pudding, collect crockery, wash cooks saucepans and things, load dishwasher, hoover kitchen, mop kitchen, general tidying of kitchen, take tea book around and note what every residant wants for tea, discuss residants choices with cook and make any changes needed, collapse into chair in dining room, handover with staff about to go on afternoon shift.

*sigh*

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
crappiest most boring job i ever had was working at the cinema (before they promoted me to my favourite ever job of projectionist). I had to stand on drop box for 4 - 8 hours a day taking tickets off people and ripping them in half. "Screen 8 just to the right....." hehe
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i once had a job where i had to break long ceramic tubes into short ceramic tubes and stack them in trays (maybe 200 humdred tubes in a tray) and then stack the trays on a pallet (60 trays on a pallet) and then repeat - maybe 2 per pallets per day.... many tubes ubbloco

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I remembered what i would consider a boring job that I had when at uni, working for a handbag manufacturer - the job involved unpacking handbags out of a big box, taking out the paper stuffing, and then replacing paper stuffing with another variety of paper stuffing, repacking and then putting back in the original box...

another fairly boring job I had at school was the cutting up of roast chickens - did that for 2 days straight, 12 hours each day, and swore never to go back...

hope everyone has an interesting day today ubbrollsmile

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I used to work in a lab taking samples of yogurt that other people
grow and look for bacteria on. This is what I would do. All day.

--Take 20 or so samples. As most products require more than one test this will produce about 43ish petri dishes (plates)

--Either spread sample on plate (if the agea is prepoured) or pour agea onto plate over sample. Swirl it a bit.

--Put plates onto trolley for someone to take way

--Take 20 or samples...

I think it worked out that you do this to about 200-260 samples a day

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

yeah ok, there's definately some pretty boring jobs there. mind you it's 9:00 am and i'm already bored enough to have read them.

Square, your camera job sounds positively thrilling in comparison to some of these ones... i long to gossip and laugh at nekkid people's photos :-P

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I spent a few months loading bottles onto conveyor belts too in a factory, but that wasn't as bad as counting pages because I could talk to lots of nice people while I worked.

Just shows there's different degrees of crap, boring jobs. Generally if you work with nice people who have a laugh it makes any job 10 times more bearable.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:
Try banging your head against a brick wall for 9 hours a day - that's what I feel like I've done when I sit down at home afterwards biggrin

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco