Forums > Social Chat > Logic gate question for you techy type people

Login/Join to Participate

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
For my uni work i have to take a non-trivial decision making process and prepare a logic circuit which represents the decision making rules. I have to use a minimum of three different gates (and, or and not for example).

The thing is - i'm finding it really really difficult to decide upon the process i'm gonna model. i don't know why but everything i seem to think of is either too simple or just crap. frown

i think i'm gonna need at least three inputs and maybe two or more outputs.

Can anyone think of any non-trivial decision making processes that could fit into the criteria. i.e. can be modelled using three different gates.

Please only respond to this sensibly and with constructive comments and help.

looking forward to the suggestions....

Gayle
xx

Gayle.....!

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, non trivial decision making...are you talking ethics here in a really convoluted way?

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
no. This is for a computing degree and it's just the logic rules behind a decision. Any decision that a computer could make.

Gayle.....!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
not entirely sure how sensible this is, but what about wanting a cuppa? the whole if you want one, what sort, how many sugars etc?

may be too trivial, though.

how non trivial must it be?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
I know what your on about but unfortunitly im only at A level standard so ive never really done anything useful with logic. Surely theres so ppl here who can help though.

fire leads to creation

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
a 8 way 8 bit demultiplexer... thats non trivial

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Well looks like i'm going to do the process of choosing a new computer to fit into company requirements. Thanks for your help guys.

Gayle.....!

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
surely if you want to impress them you should just use NOR gates as every other type of gate can be made up from these (i pretty sure, it has been awhile since i did that stuff) . . and then just show how an AND gate can be made from NOR's or is that just too geeky