Forums > Social Chat > Should Children be allowed to spin socks?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Having followed the progress of a number of [Old link] controversies, I have been forced into reassessing some of my basic assumptions about life, intelligence, human development and common sense. Leading me to the non-burning question: should children be allowed to spin socks? (or 'sox', for those in the USA)

Based on two primary axioms: the known addictiveness of spinning ANYTHING, and the apparent lack of logical brain structures in anyone under (what's the latest...56? 21? 18??) here are my reasons why, NO, Children Should Not be Allowed to Spin Socks.

1. Danger of RSI from small repetitive movements especially in developing ligaments.

2.Addictiveness: inevitability of ending up on the hard stuff (garters, fishnet tights)

3. Fumes (particularly applies to teenage boys or the offspring of people who apparently spin burning rubber tyres up to 23 hours a day)

4. Children confusing socks with shoes: possibility of concussion. Particularly as they are drawn towards steel capped boots when trying to look hard (normally difficult when spinning socks...)

5 Addictiveness: child being unable to dress themselves for school unsupervised in case they start spinning and miss the bus

6. Repeated missing school leading to career and associated lifetime disaster

7 Children murdering each other for their socks (well, it's already happened with trainers....)

8 Children getting involved younger and younger, eventually robbing babies of their booties

9 Possibility of being sued by the parents of murdered children or robbed babies for breaching duty of care (or even duty of scare)

10 Lifelong confusion of appropriate placement of footwear: could end up going to the school prom wearing elbow length satin sox

11 Given the similarities of sock spinning and certain behaviours generally associated with psychotic illness (compulsive meaningless behaviours, vacant expressions, confusing psytrance with music), involvement of school psychiatric teams could lead to misdiagnosis and inappropriate therapies including electroshock treatment and psychotropic drugs

12 Developing a taste for electroshock treatment and psychotropic drugs leading to involvement in rave culture ubbloco including glowstringing and associated semantics

13 As no adult, let alone a child, is able to understand what is really happening in the middle of a hyperloop, close peering while trying to work it out could lead to a child's nose being pinched, squints or other facial injury. How are you going to explain to an 8 year old that they are scarred for life? ( ref to # 6 career, social disaster)

14 Underage sox leading to confusion of boundaries and promiscuity. A lifetime of having indiscriminate and compulsive sox with strangers at juggle jams, parties and festivals.

15 Having peaked too early leading to dangerous experimentation eg sock breathing

16 Eventually discovering HoP and then spending 100 times longer on the internet than they other wise would have. Varicose veins, deep vein thrombosis from sitting still too long. Could also happen while attempting 'London' style spinning (from standing in the one place too long)

I'm sure you can all think of plenty more.

My 14 year old daughter (who saw her brother start to spin eek fire at her age and subsequently develop into a world travelling professional; and who is therefore well acquainted with the *knoxious* lifestyle early exposure to the 'manipulative arts' can produce) thinks this is such a serious issue that we should pool our resources for an international campaign to eliminate children from having any contact with socks at all. She thinks that billions of kids getting blisters is worth it, so long as one child is protected from these dangers. If they object that the adults are able to wear socks she said to tell them it's for their own good. We're adults and can think straight.

They have to wait until they turn 18 (...21... 56?) when their brain structures switch on and it will all be OK

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
no.

Its a boxing ring (square)
and not a bocksing ring (square)

tongue

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: Nadishome

Seriously! I joined this site thinking everyone was open minded adn able to accept all as individuals no matter their age, sex, orientation, or background! And yet there are posts like this where people judge children as a whole! Being unable to do certain things!

Yer they're not legally responsible to do certain things and some are incapable of doing others! But lets not judge them! Lets allow them to at least try! If there is no life threating risk then wots a little pain? Surely its better to learn from your own mistake rather than being told!

Speaking as one of the younger spinners on this site that has been doing poi for awhile I'll have to go the "blunt American route".

It is outlooks such as that that has lead to multiple injuries, my friends and I getting burned, and general retardedness.

Sit down, shut up, and please listen to what I have to say.

I have a healthy amount of scars on my arms. I am certainly one of the longer "spinning age" poists amoung my current group of friends who spin and yet one of the most daring. All of those that I have known to spin for "awhile" all have some sort of fire 'horror story', and most of them have wisened up from the experience.

I'm not an advocate for no children spinning fire. I'm the advocate for the safe spinning of fire, regardless of age. No matter how old you are, there is a matter of risk, but personally I'd rather see children 18- who spun nonfire for at least a year before starting fire.

Eventually, eventually, you will screw up, and you will screw up bad. I've seen pro performers doing weave and all the sudden crash and burn. Hopefully by that time you will have the help on hand to untangle you, throw on a fireblanket/wet towel, or be able to somehow avoid a critical burn to yourself.

As of today, I can claim almost any sort of burn mishap possible, except a direct hit to the [censored] and front biggrin and luckily, in all cases I've managed to avoid critical damage to myself, so now other than some long lasting burn blisters and scars, some nasty burnt hair, and inhaling fire and burning the inside of my nose causing lack of nosehairs, I have nothing too "scaring".

That is my argument. I hope to whatever god that young children don't get fire spinning because any adults tell them that it's "okay".

Back to the sarcasm. I rather have poking fun rather than a blanket statement being made that will get people hurt.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
offtopic

tongue

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
And I suppose smileys bring it back ontopic?

ubbrollsmile

hug spank hug spank hug spank

that's what I have to say to that. wink

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ooooh.. lower smile
spank

ooooooooooh..... thats the spot.

Everyones off topic.
Everyone in the world.
No one has ever been on topic ever.
So what the point?

and you shoull put your post in the serious (oh hang on)... I meant the other fire + children thread.
Its a goodun and it should be in the right place.

now get back to the spanking smile

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
I dont have a horror story yet
does that make me an unprofesional spinner?

or does that little flame on the sleef of my pants count? (I put it out without stopping spinning)

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
I did post there but some people seem to wish to drag the "serious" debate onto here, the (still serious forum but not-so-serious post). ubbrollsmile confused

And though I'm American like NYC, I think American jokes are freaking hilarious, mainly because they're true.

PS. spank You'd better watch out because if I ever get around to traveling to England in real life, I'll expect rainchecks on the hugs and spankings with you British types.

biggrin

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unfortunatly Can Obtain Fruit

no.

Its a boxing ring (square)
and not a bocksing ring (square)

tongue

Ahhhh! Thanx you for that insiteful tutorial. Us Americans just don't get these things without being boxded upside the head.

And why couldn't a bock sing?

[What category of sarcasm is that? umm ]

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
because he's afraid of all the other cows go boo on them...
that did'nt make sense did it?
(in dutch its better)

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
gonna find my baby gonna hold her tight
gonna grab some afternoon delight
my motto's always been if its right its right
and i guess if im with you its right

Sky rockets in flight
BEEEOOOOOWW
Afternoon delight
WOOOOOPP
-you guys have it there

Afternoon delight

-I dunno Ron, that sounds kinda crazy.......

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
offtopic

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
a very serious point has been left off gabes list as to why children shouldnt be allowed to spin socks, boys shouldnt be allowed to spin socks because of the fetal position inducing pain of groin poi contact, but more importantly girls shouldnt be allowed to spin socks because of their lack of appriciation of the severity of the fetal position inducing pain of groin poi contact hence leading to carefree spinning and accidental induction of the worst pain known to man

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Then, of course, you've got the horrible prospect of trying to set the socks on fire

And, if spinning socks becomes a socially acceptable thing at schools and stuff, then teachers aren't going to worry about some weighted socks about the place, which could result in use of aforementioned socks as weapons, most likely by the minority crowd (As they seem to be the most likely people to spin stuff - i'm yet to see a 'cool' groupie spin poi), which could, potentially allow the minority group(s) to attain domincance over the 'cool' group(s), thereby disrupting the entire space/time continuum, and sucking us all into a vacuum.

Oh, wait. these are supposed to be points against it. scratch that last one.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

p.s. for van ubblol i don't think the imaginary word 'sox' is used in any country of the world other than america - please correct me if i'm wrong...

well america uses it exactly twice to my knowledge, for two baseball teams: the red sox and the white sox. and I am not even sure it actually refers to socks in that sense.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

what, that american sarcasm usually comes from you and is directed at other people whereas international sarcasm comes from other people and is usually directed at america?

Cole, you were accusing me of directing my sarcasm at individials whereas others are not.

dammit! i thought i was just being sarcastic rolleyes

i am sorry that i seemed to be accusing you of something you don't do hug

but ya can't tell me you've never said some sh!t about my mama or maybe directed a little sarcasm in the direction of your esteemed president once or twice? wink

van - like i said, 'sox' only exist in america - they may be rare but they are there... wink

Non-Https Image Link

i think the biggest negative with kids spinning socks is that they lose out on the magic created by tails... ubbrollsmile

cole. x
EDITED_BY: coleman (1115803983)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Please note that there is a perfectly safe way to spin socks:

Non-Https Image Link

Just remember to take them off your childs feet before putting them in smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I see two issues here.

One is that this thread, which obviously started light hearted should have been put into the social chat section.
Instead it was put into the serious section, and some have taken the tone (though maybe not the topic) seriously.

(so I am moving it)

Secondly, I think this whole "international" vs. "american" crap has gotten out of hand. Sarcasm is sarcasm, and like every other form of communication it is up to interpretation. Now, I agree that some cultures may be predisposed to interpret things in certain ways (american blunt vs. inter. indirect generalization), but it is primarily an individual thing, not a hugely cultural thing.
Then again as a pretty much non-politically supporting, not-really-patriotic American, I am sick and tired of so many international people making blanket statements and judgements about Americans without knowing me individually...and it happens, even from those who claim it does not. I see it on this board, and in rl, frequently.

So anyway...Sox...(my turn for a sarcastic blanket generalization made in absolute humor)...I have a theory on this. I think it comes from back in the day when athletes didn't need to know how to read, but they still needed to name their team. As far as I am aware, baseball is the only thing that spells it that way, or those who are too lazy to type 2 extra letters. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
applause to Mark Mark!!!

And guys, what are you doing here in a thread that was suppsed to be funny? How did you manage to make it a thread about the differences in sarcasm or whatever??

Ok, I'm russian, now tell me - is there anything aout the russian sarcasm you can say?
Then - as for me, I don't see any difference between american and english, or international sarcasm. At least not here on HoP. And as long as the sarcasm doesnt touch on america or england, or ppl with english or american background.

Ahh, guys, be friendly hug

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
It's not sarcasm. It's parody.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
sarcastic parody?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Getting to the other side smile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

a very serious point has been left off gabes list as to why children shouldnt be allowed to spin socks, boys shouldnt be allowed to spin socks because of the fetal position inducing pain of groin poi contact, but more importantly girls shouldnt be allowed to spin socks because of their lack of appriciation of the severity of the fetal position inducing pain of groin poi contact hence leading to carefree spinning and accidental induction of the worst pain known to man

Talking from recent experience maybe Ben??? ubbrollsmile frown

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
https://www.wordreference.com/definition/parody
https://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/sarcasm

To confuse the two is perhaps to need ironic reminding that *just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you*

*winky gremlin*

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

more importantly girls shouldnt be allowed to spin socks because of their lack of appriciation of the severity of the fetal position inducing pain of groin poi contact hence leading to carefree spinning and accidental induction of the worst pain known to man

ooh Ben, has that Parafinbeast been getting out of hand again wink
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1115814206)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:

i think the biggest negative with kids spinning socks is that they lose out on the magic created by tails... ubbrollsmile

oooh I love tails, I love tails!!! But migod. Do you think children should be allowed to spin them? What about the animals?

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
They get cold feet.

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ummm... I suppose they could set fire to them?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
For those saying that sox is an exclusivly american thing

https://www.bluesox.co.uk/

English rugby team named after the town called Halifax and not the Bank (just in case you were wondering why a bank has a rugby team- they just sponser it!). Although I'm guessing the name was adopted from America!

As for the sarcasm thing- everything is relative, I always find it strange though-I'm not saying this in a bad way, its mearly an observation of different cultures, how the Americans are saying that we're the polite ones but they consider it impolite to refer to going to the toilet as the toilet of similar, instead saying bathroom/powderoom. I think with the global community and internet, Western/developed countries usually have quite similar cultures compared to the difference between say, Africa and Europe. Anyway, before I go toooo
offtopic

The first thread is great! made me laugh sooo much. But I think it should consider the wider issue of adults playing with socks. Just think of all the working hours and money that is lost when adults injure themselves when the tails wrap round thier necks and choke them. Also so much money lost due to adults suing companies for not warning them that hiting yourself witha hard spinning object can hurt.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
You're not wrong! I have never ever given myself the slightest injury with fire in my 10 years of spinning. I have however given myself split lips, black eyes and serious head bangs with glowies! Partly cos they can spin much faster than a flaming wick, and also cos fire.. well, it LOOKS more dangerous, I think it's an instinct to avoid it....

Page: