Forums > Technical Discussion > First set of fire torches.....

Login/Join to Participate

Travelling DirtbagMember
4 posts

Posted:
Just got back from the hardware store, with everything (I think...) to make my first fire torches (fire eating, blowing etc....) Basically, 14 inch long, 1/8 inch thick wooden dowels, the top of each dowel capped about 1 1/2 inches down with copper tubing. The wicks I picked up are just normal cotton wicks, and I'm using two wrapped around the top to get the size i want. Now for the questions...... Should I use longer copper caps? (they only protrude about an inch below the wicks) Are cotton wicks okay for eating/blowing? And what is the ideal way to secure the wicks to the top? Also, whats the ideal fuel for this activity (currently using Parafin wax....) thanx in advance for any advice.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
When it comes to your wicks. I would allways recomend kevlar.
Mainly due to the fact that it is one of the most heat resistant things on the planet and has a stronger tensile strength then steel.

Wrapping the Kevlar around the top and then fastening them in with stainless steel screws is the way to go.

Just make sure you dont make these clubs to heavy. I juggle clubs and when i went to juggle a friends firey's they hurt my hands because of the extra weight of both the wood and the soaked fuel.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight