Forums > Social Discussion > New pope elected - Pope Benedict XVI

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
It seems that half an hour ago the cardinals have elected then new pope. Congrats to catholics everywhere and Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now known as Pope Benedict XVI

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Does a new Pope get a new set of altar boys? And are there altar girls as well? (I know they are in normal Catholic churches, but I'm not sure about the Vatican)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: pk ....:™

so you want my opinion!

ok... why pick some old fart that aint got long left to live?.... stupid.... bring the church in to our times.....
It could have been a whole lot different if they had chose the coloured guy instead! confused would have been the first non white pope... and he is younger.

because he is clearly a trasitionary pope. they don't want him to live long, but they do want him to serve as a trasition to the next phase. can't jump from the last pope to a liberal strait away. even if this guy is even more conservative, it won't matter since he won't have beena round long and affected things much.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
i cant wait for polygamous, marijuana legalising, contraception eating pope

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

209 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

Does a new Pope get a new set of altar boys? And are there altar girls as well? (I know they are in normal Catholic churches, but I'm not sure about the Vatican)

i know from my friends 2nd cousins friend that they have a rotational basis, but you have to go to the right church and have friends or relatives high up the ranks

*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I doubt the next one will be quite THAT liberal, but I bet he does address africa and condoms though. but not this one most likely...

-v-

209 posts

Posted:
well its a step down that path, but wouldnt that compromise the beliefs of the catholic church and what it says in the bible???

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
Pk - he was *conscripted* into the Hitler Youth, and later deserted . . .

ture na sig

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

I think you have a very poor idea of what it is like to grow up in times/circumstances like that.

Then why only 2 weeks ago did i take time out and go and sit in home with the old people some over 90 years of age... people i have never met with before... my mom cares for the elderly i have a lot of respect for those that fought in the wars... i have letters in my possesion from my grandad of war stories rolleyes i may not be as educated as some, but im not some dumb kid. wink i care for all people... my opinion is concern for now not the past, it is US that have to fight for survival in these times... should we have churches and governments run by people that are not old and can see things from a younger persons perspective? confused

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
lkycanthrope, it will, but there have been changes for the past 2000 years and religions always develop. Also, things like HIV were not an issue at the time the Bible was put together, and neither was contraception as people were probably using herbal medicines and some dangerous methods for abortion, which then wasn't regulated by laws as it now is, and there wasn't that much public attention for it. I'm hoping that in time people will see sense.

Take for an example weddings between Catholics and people of other religions. "Only" 100 years ago that was nearly impossible, even if the other person was a Protestant. Now (at least in Germany) it's not a problem at all and the children can even go to both religion classes at school if they want and then choose what they want to be (if they want to be christened at all). I'm sure there'll be some movement with a more liberal pope who hopefully will come after Ratzinger/Benedict.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

209 posts

Posted:
but surely they have to draw lines up somewhere, there must be moral issues that they will never move on.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by: pk ....:™

I think you have a very poor idea of what it is like to grow up in times/circumstances like that.

Then why only 2 weeks ago did i take time out and go and sit in home with the old people some over 90 years of age...

rolleyes

Because your mum cares for them and you were interested in what they had to say? It's got not that much to do with what I was trying to say though.

1. people over 90 years of age didn't grow up in Nazi Germany, they were adults when the whole sh*t started.

2. Were they British or Italian or German? How many of them had grown up surrounded by SA/SS, swastika flags and propaganda from when they joined school? My guess would be 0, so while I readily accept that you understand much more about the point of view of people who fought for the Allies or lost their relatives because of my country screwing up than I do, I still don't think you have much of an idea of what it was like for German young people.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
how about a pope that will clear all world and personal debts... make us all equal as each other, every one earns the same wage, house prices, utility and food bills reamain affordable to all, every one has a decent home and way of life and will reamin in employment, and an end to all wars.... would be logicaal to me rather than stupid legalisations of drugs etc ubbidea

Every one would benefit from life and every one would have a smile on their faces... maybe life for all would be so much better... just not for the people who are considerably well of financially.

I doubt this wouold happen as it seems to me that the church is about wealth and status.

Life to me is about "equality" hug we are all the same.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
that would be cool smile it might screw up my plans for world domination but I think if everyone would be happy I'd take that risk... cause I'd be happy, too biggrin

have a hug pk biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

209 posts

Posted:
i actually got bashed for saying a similar thing to some of my more conservative classmates in my religion class,
dam christian school

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Birgit: its over.... thank god else we would not exist right?.... it was unfortunate to all that had to deal with that in their youth.. i understand all perspectives on the matter, germans, americans, british, french.... whatever nations fought in the great wars.

I see it this way... religion = war.... there is still to much war and it is distructive and affects us all, and the past wars affect us all still and the way that this planet is to move forward to becoming a better place for us all to coexist in peace and happiness.

We are nations with open eyes and freedom of speach so to say, but still we are governed and our thoughts are not listened to because we are empowered by those of wealth and status.

The church is a tought one though in my opinion because they still pretty much abide by the bible... and the way of life from thousands of years ago.. that to me is silly... the time is now not then!.. we need changes.

I do agree with the comment about this is a transitional pope!... lets hope that soon they will get it right for us all.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

have a hug pk biggrin

Thank you! hug and you too.... hugs are good when home sick wink

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
he's a bit old but hopefully he will be pope for as long as needed to change some konservative ways of thinking, even though i don't even know what he thinks or what his opinions are.
Anyway, all the best to him.

love, tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
just a quick point on the actual election. i heard on the tv that the pope is elected by the will of god (ok by votes by the cardinals but the cardinals are acting upon the will of god). if this indeed true then why are so many people saying that it was a bad choice? would these people therefore be doubting their god, therefore doubting his very existance, therefore not true catholics.
im not religious btw, this was jus something i thought
good day to you!

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lycanthrope

well its a step down that path, but wouldnt that compromise the beliefs of the catholic church and what it says in the bible???

well, it would contradict church doctrine, but nothing in the bible me thinks - only interpretations of it.

-v-

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
This is something the Church needs to address - there's doctrine regarding the "lesser evil" and I think that it needs to applied to the situation in Africa.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
JP2 was pope for 26 years and did NOTHING to help the situation in Africa, he didn’t even pretend to offer any solution when he knew he was on his way out, so don’t bank on this guy doing anything either.

It is something that needs addressing drastically though. I’ve seen a series of documentaries about RC priests in Africa who’ve been more or less excommunicated from the church (though they continue their work) for blatantly bending the rules of the roman church & condoning the use of condoms between married couples. E.g. in a situation where one partner is infected with HIV/AIDS, and the other is not, these priests regard condoning the use of condoms as a “Christian” way of dealing with it, they way of love that the Bible speaks of….

The RC church however would rather see both partners infected and die of AIDS and leave yet more orphans behind it would seem…. frown

The numbers of young men entering the priesthood is dwindling fast. Last year there was 1 new priest ordained in Ireland. 1!!! eek More & more of our younger priests & ministers are coming from African countries as they cannot recruit the numbers required to keep the colleges for priesthood open.

And while I’m on the topic (or off topic as the case may be nana), that’s another issue that will need to be seriously addressed in the coming years – women priests. Regardless of the church’s present attitude it’s definitely on the cards for the future. They’re just not drawing the numbers any more from the male population. If they want the church to continue with any form of power or authority in this world, and don’t want to see their congregation decline even further, then there’s no other option but to allow women join the priesthood.

But I do believe the largest issue the church will have to address within the next couple of years/decades is evolution.

Personally I can’t wait until they start closing down all the old churches and selling them off so I can buy one and renovate it to live in. Such beautiful architecture….

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
"...But I do believe the largest issue the church will have to address within the next couple of years/decades is evolution..." in what context are you using the term evolution here?

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Must be when humans evolve into big flying bat like things with the brains of a human, the tail of a lion, the digestion of a cow, the claws of a mole, the scales of a fish, the warm winter coat of a Siberian musk ox, with the pleasant aroma of nutella and have massive wiskers to do stuff with...

umm

or something...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
pk, wot’s the problemo?

Are u a catholic? is the pope a catholic? or are u living in Italy and the Italians wanted an Italian Pope???

Written by:

why pick some old fart that aint got long left to live?.... stupid.... bring the church in to our times..... It could have been a whole lot different if they had chose the coloured guy instead! would have been the first non white pope... and he is younger.

A pervious caretaker pope, The Blessed Pope John XXIII, introduced the Second Vatican Council, which did much for the people re: birth control, women in the church etc. Admittedly he died before finishing the job, and it did not suit the vatican to fulfil his wishes.

I really take exception to people saying things like:
Written by:

..... It could have been a whole lot different if they had chose the coloured guy instead

Why???

Do you think a “coloured” person will be better or he will help the people in Africa or because it's trendy? I suspect the latter.

IMHO, people should be judged on merit, not colour, age, race, sex or creed.

frown frown frown

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Church Doctrine? Hmmm....

Well let's see, the New Testament was written by the scribes of the apostles (except for Matthrew I think? Think he wrote his own or somethin... oir maybe he was a scribe...), at earliest 25 years after the crucifiction, and later for other books. The church was set up by those that were taught by the apostles, which were taught by the original. Because of this, the Book is interpreted in the same way it was a long time ago in the Roman Catholic Orthodox Christianity. There is an almost three part checlk system in place to maintain the interpretation from the originals to current: The Scripture, Church Approved Doctrine, and the Cardinals. They check each other to maintain the same basic structure of interpretation.

At least thats how it was explained to me... Its a conservative organization by design, to maintain the original interpretation. Thus it is good that Ratzinger got in because he is quite the conservative man....

And hes 78 so he'll die in the next 10 years or so probably. And then we can get on with the Malechy prophecy... Interesting that he chose the Benedict name, since the benedictines claimed the second to last pope would be one of theirs (Glory of the Olive, Benedictines known as Olives or somethin like that)... Hehe its fun playing with facts and prophecy.

209 posts

Posted:
"Interesting that he chose the Benedict name, since the benedictines claimed the second to last pope would be one of theirs (Glory of the Olive, Benedictines known as Olives or somethin like that)... Hehe its fun playing with facts and prophecy. "

then it is true, the four horsemen of the apocalypse are afoot, i thought as much

Page: