• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Help! > making poi with children

Login/Join to Participate

locaniek

Total posts: 1
Posted:Hello all!

Next week I am invited to make pois with children. I chose to make themwith balloons and rice, but......how to do it?

Any one has an idea???

Thanks!!!

Delete Topic

flid
BRONZE Member since Aug 2002

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3136
Posted:not sure about children, but i'm pretty sure you can make poi with babies

Non-Https Image Link

wink

Delete

Dressed in Black
BRONZE Member since Feb 2005

Dressed in Black

A Fire Inside

Total posts: 191
Posted:hey, my mum is a textiles teacher she's decided to make poi with her pupils too but not with balloons, althought thats a pretty good idea. if ur gonna use balloons & rice i would use a funnel to pour in the rice? otherwise, how about socks? if theyre just kids maybe tennis balls would be too hard, but you could still put rice in the socks cos a balloon might split if it gets hit too hard.

::: I LiKe pLeAsUrE sPiKeD wItH pAiN - MuSiC iS mY aErOpLaNe :::

Delete

Amanita
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Total posts: 157
Posted:Oh dear..Flid, that's hilarious:) Nice photo edit!

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Delete

Dink
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Dink

Total posts: 70
Posted:lmao it Flid's pic..good one! biggrin

i made my daughter some Poi the other day and tennis balls are way too hard hehe... she spins em hell for leather!ubblol so yea might try something softer...i was thinking sand in a bag in a sock?

if i do ill let u know what they came out like.

im a gemini..go figure

Delete

bluecat

bluecat

geek, level 1

Total posts: 5300
Posted:sand in a bag is a bit sore. try something a bit softer, and make the bag a loose fill.

smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Delete

Dink

Dink

Posted:Written by: bluecat

sand in a bag is a bit sore. try something a bit softer, and make the bag a loose fill.

smile

ta for the tip smile will do.

im a gemini..go figure

Delete

flid

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:or even just a ball of foam in a bit of material

Delete

linden rathen
GOLD Member since Mar 2005

linden rathen

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 6942
Posted:when i was bored at work i made some poi from just layers of scrunched up tissues paper (the coloured stuff) - leaving a little loose on the end layer gave small tails then string tied tightly round them made quite good poi - lots of drag though so have to put a bit of effort in but good for practising with and fun to make (i love ripping up tissue paper :P)

back

Delete

LazyAngel
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2895
Posted:had some children ask me how to make poi today. I gave them instructions on how to make sock poi and told them to use something soft like a squidgy ball of some type. I was thinking maybe some of those kind of jelly like things that stick to walls?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

flid

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:jelly things that stick to walls? Their parents will love you!

Delete

Sir_Sheep

Sir_Sheep

old hand

Total posts: 725
Posted:Play Doh on the ceiling is always a good thing.

My mother didn't agree though frown

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Delete

CraZee

Total posts: 10
Posted:I was thinkin more on the lines of bean bags.
Soft, cheap and effective.

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing UP is OPTIONAL

Delete

.:star:.
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

.:star:.

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:fill them with dried peas, they're not as dense as rice so they won't hurt so much when they hit themselve

Delete

pricklyleaf
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

pricklyleaf

with added berries

Total posts: 1365
Posted:That pictures brilliant flid! I work in an afterschool club and am thinking of introducing them to poi. They would defo need to be somthing soft. I bet you the kids where i work will be using them to hit each other no doubt! rolled up socks is probably a good idea as it is something they all have very easy access to. a lot of the things mentioned here could be too hard, but it depends on the age of the children. any tips let me know, i'd be interested to know how well they go down! hehe

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Delete

Dink

Dink

Posted:umm just so u know... my kid admitting to fighting with hers, whilst down with her dad! when i said u mustnt do that she replied...its ok mummy we had one each!! biggrin

ended up buying some soft ones from the shop on here..i shall tell u what they are like when the arrive smile

im a gemini..go figure

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:You could make the ones recommended on this site with shopping bags wool and toy wadding. instructions I think its on here.

Before I got my huge ball piercing tool I would pierce the tennis balls beore the class then use a piece of wire bent in half to go through the holes and pull the thread through, if that makes sense.

Used cheap coloured cord and then leather off cuts for the handles. I alos got the kids to supply their own tennis balls as I was financing the excercise

EDITED_BY: Gnorc (1113811356)

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

bender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:lol flid u are my hero!!!

i don't make poi but i have fun makin babies..

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

Adya Miriyana
GOLD Member since Feb 2005

Adya Miriyana

*slou?

Total posts: 6554
Posted:lol flid, exactly what i thought of as i saw the thread title ubblol well done

Delete

munkypunks
GOLD Member since Jan 2005

munkypunks

enthusiast, but not enthusiastic

Total posts: 367
Posted:hilarious picture!!!

As to making poi FOR children - I have beanbag ones that kinda hurt, so I wouldn't recommend that for kids. I also have the soft ones from here, and my guess is those are perfect for kids - they don't hurt at all, and they're pretty light, so even small children could still spin them. Probably foam core would be good.

Have fun, and good luck! Don't let the kids hit you with them - just each other!

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Delete