drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I've been puttering around on here for a month now, I think it's time for me to actually formally introduce myself.

I'm Drake (well not my real name, but I don't use my real name anywhere, because it's Mike, and mike is just too darn common). I live in Akron, Ohio. I'm a senior at Kent State University (yes, that's where they shot those kids), where I'm majoring in sociology (which means my degree won't be worth the paper it's printed on). I will be graduating here in August, as soon as I can put my poi down long enough to finish my honors thesis.

Anyway, I'm an internet junkie, frat boy, artist (primarily jewelry/metals with a little glassblowing and ceramics and fiber thrown in), writer, and basically a jack of all trades, master of none.

I've had a love of fire for as long as I can remember. I'm certainly not spinning fire yet, but hope to be doing so by the end of the summer. I think it would be pretty cool if my first burn were at my combination Graduation/Birthday party at the end of august. I just gotta hold out till then. In the meantime, I'll occupy myself with LED's and socks and comets, oh my...

Looking to build myself a staff to practice with, but can't find the staff building threads, even with the help of search, so if anyone can direct me, I'd be greatful. I can't find any wood dowels long enough for me since I'm an inhumanly tall freak. well, not an inhumanly tall as the rest of my brothers, but still. I'm 6'4, which as I understand it, means I shoudl be spinning a 5'4" staff. I've found copper pipe in that length, but not wood.

I guess that's about it for now, If you have any questions, feel free to ask...

Oh yeah, and my homepage is https://www.personal.kent.edu/~mbcollin/
I haven't updated it recently, it needs my most recent artwork added, but I don't have pics taken yet. I'll probably work on it when this semester calms down

What exactly do I have to light on fire to get you to notice me?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
y0! congratulations, because i anti-hate you! heart heart heart

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
hey dude, and welcome to HoP biggrin

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello and welcome to HoPaholics anonymous!!

wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
hello! welcome

your glasswork looks cool..i always wanted to have a go at that!

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
heya smile
*waves frantically* welcome to HoP smile im hoping to spin fire some point smile

back

DinkBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
wave hiya.

your staff will be 3 inches longer than i am tall! biggrin

im a gemini..go figure

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
Actually, the glasswork was interesting, I didn't get pictures of all of my pieces, cause I gave some away (gave the bf at the time all of my glass roses I'd made for valentine's day). But I definately prefer working with metal. Glass is a liquid, so it always wants to move on you when youa re working it, and you gotta take gravity into account. It's a royal pain. at least with metal I know when I bend it into one place, it's gonna stay there till I move it again...

It's funny, I'm a crafts minor (metals at kent state is considered a craft) and the classes are very sex-separated. the Fiber classes are full of girls, I'm the only guy in my surface design class. Girls take the early glass classes, but it's the guys who usually end up majoring in it. Metals, because of the emphasis on jewelry, tends to be about 3/4 girls, 1/4 guys. Ceramics is the only pretty evenly mixed one, but again at the advanced level, it's mostly guys.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hey and welcome! hug hope you find what you need on here, i would help but i dont know either tongue

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
wavehello nice to meet you smile

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
hey there welcome to HoP!!!
welcome wave welcome wave welcome wave welcome

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
ok, so where is everyone getting these smiley's from?

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
wavehello there should be a link to the left of your quick reply box that says "use gremlins" and the more 'popular' gremlins are underneath the regular reply box and then a link for more. cool

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
weavesmiley muahahaha

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Gidg bounces in on her pogo stick ... boing ... boing ... boing ...

ubblol Drake you are so easily amused. My staff is only an inch shorter than I am so the length that you spin with is completely up to you. But if you do get a 5'4" staff the thing will be taller than I am.

Welcome to HoP!

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
LOL, my practice staff is built... and it's a 5'4" length of aluminum, with rubber chair caps on the ends, flourescent yellow tennis racket tape on the center. I'm going to tie some teatowels to the ends for added weight. Now I just need to wait for the video to arrive so I can get to working...

And it looks like there's no way I'm going to wait till august to spin fire for the first time. My roomate has been trying to convince me to go to the pagan spirit gathering for years, and this year she upped the ante by telling me there are firespinners there. It's quite possible that I'll be going, assuming that I can get the cash together and get the time off of work...

Besides, do you think I can wait for a whole 4 months before I get to the fire?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Another Mike! I should start using a fake name. I have the same problem.

Welcome to HOP, soon to be ex-fellow Midwesterner!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
Hello Drake hug welcome

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

creanewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Hi Drake..!!

That's some awesome glasswork you've managed. Even more so knowing the material behaves like dough in the oven *bows humbly*

.håkan

[insert cool signature here]

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
Yeah, glass is definately not my preferred medium. But I wanted to at least be able to say I'd given it a try. Who knows, maybe I'll go after another art degree and play with it again...

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
wave welcome to HoP

bounce bounce bounce

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
wave

WELCOME

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Hi Hi Hi!!! wave bounce bounce2 wave

May the butterflies of joy and excitement lend you their wings!!

I like glass, its shiny... biggrin

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
I happened upon one of your posts and noticed the little cake next to your name, so...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
bounce2 ubbrollsmile bounce2

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
hello wave welcome to HoP hug

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
Whoa, It's been quite a while since I logged in here... But I did finally get around to starting with fire... I spin fire poi now, and I do fire eating and fire breathing... I'll probably have a few fire pics posted shortly in my gallery. I haven't really done that much with the staff yet, but I haven't been able to do much practicing of anything with the winter and all...

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I know that I'm not a newbie anymore, but I thought it'd still be fun to do this anyway... from Lighning's suggestion...

Name: Michael, Drake, Hey you, his divine shadow, and once I was known as Mistress Velari Sebring, but you know how it is, you have a few too many and before you know it you are breaking out the flogger and whipping people while belting out Lords of Acid Tunes....

Hometown:Born in Butler, PA, but grew up mostly in Madison, Ohio

DOB:8/25/79

Age:Too old to be a twink, too young (and good looking) to be a troll

Sex: not nearly enough.

Occupation(s):Busser at the Olive Garden. At least until my plans for global domination pan out.

Favorite Food(s): Definately greek, particularly domades and spanikopita

Favorite Color(s): Hunter Green, black

Toys: At the moment, just the eating torches and the poi, but I'm working on a set of triple headed poi, and a staff

Hobbies other than the obvious:sex, drugs, rock-n-roll...chips, dips, chains, whips...You know, your basic high school orgy type of thing. I mean, uh, I'm not talking candlewax on the nipples, or witchcraft or anything like that, no, no, no. Just a couple of hundred kids running around in their underwear acting like complete animals.

Education: STILL trying to get my frelling Honors thesis done

Favorite Book(s): The Last Herald-Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey

Favorite Movie(s): the Hellraiser series, Everafter, xXx, Bloodsport

Favorite TV show(s): Alias, Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Stargate

Plans for life in general: (i.e. what you want to do when you grow up) Get married to someone fantastically wealthy and spend my days in Hawaii. Failing that, I'd settle for getting my doctorate in sociology and becoming a college professor. Of course, there's always that whole global domination thing to fall back on...

Favorite Music Artists/Composers:Ha, I listen to everything from Mozart to Marilyn Manson. But I'm on kind of a Judas Preist kick right now...

Favorie ice cream flavor(s): Mmm.. Carmel Cashew... Mmm...

Marmite, Vegemite, or Nutella? I've not had any of them... Never heard of marmite before, Vegemite, to my understanding, is like spreading salt paste on bread. Therefore, I'm going to have to go with Nutella's nutty goodness...