Forums > Social Chat > Name of your little finger?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mean not nice guy, that is friendlymember
92 posts

Posted:
why do they call your middle finger "The Bird"
That is just stupid that they think that means
f*** off.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
aha!
it took some finding, but apparently, it has to do with the colour pink. Upon searching for the origin of the name of the colour pink, i chanced upon this explaination:

The word pink is generally agreed to be derived from the similar Dutch word pinck. However, there are two theories about which sense of the Dutch word was involved, and how it became applied to the colour. One is that it came from pinck in the sense of 'small' (which turns up in the modern English word pinky for 'little finger'),

hope that satisfies your curiosity!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
and just to be sure, i checked another source.... here tis:

Pinkie `little finger' comes from an early Dutch word which meant `small;' that word was pinck. The Dutch word is also the source of English pink `pale red,' because pinck was what the Dutch called a flower of the species Dianthus, which has small, often pink flowers with pinked edges.

92 posts

Posted:
you have way to much time on your hands!LOL

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
probably..... *shrug*

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I saw a shirt that said something like "God made some perfect people, the rest are right handed".

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
LOL Kinudin, i love that shirt slogan, its a goodie, even if i used to be predominately right handed

Malcolm, i thought it was either Brown or Blue eyes?? being, dark brown and usually lightening up as the child ages? might have to look into this....

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Yeah ok, i really do have too much time on my hands.....:

Many Caucasian infants are born with blue eyes. This color often changes to brown or hazel as the color-bearing pigment cells develop. Babies reach their permanent eye color by one year of age. If you and your spouse both have blue eyes, your baby's eyes will stay blue. Otherwise, you can not be sure of their eye color until one year of age. Babies with Hispanic, Asian and African American heritage usually have eyes that are dark brown at birth and do not change color.

92 posts

Posted:
booya!!!
I'm native american and i have black eyes.....
what up.
Cherrokee to be exact.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've never heard that about babies eyes before, but I'm almost 22 years old and my eyes haven't picked a color yet. They bounce back and forth between dark brown and a really bright green. I haven't figured out quite why, but it seems to have something to do with my mood. It's kind of odd really and I've never met anyone else with eyes that do that before.

Jesus helps me trick people.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i have a friend who's eyes go from hazel green, to bright orange. No contacts, they literally just change colour
its very scary sometimes..... `

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I had a girl almost put my eye out once try to pull a nonexistant contact out of my eye. She wouldn't believe me that I wasn't wearing any. It was really quite rude of her, I thougt.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
you let some girl stick her fingers in your eye??????

kinky... `

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by SickpuPpy:
I've never heard that about babies eyes before, but I'm almost 22 years old and my eyes haven't picked a color yet. They bounce back and forth between dark brown and a really bright green. I haven't figured out quite why, but it seems to have something to do with my mood. It's kind of odd really and I've never met anyone else with eyes that do that before.
Gosh, Pups, mine are like that too, although my green is more olivey, and sometimes they go amber... It's a good range in my family, my mom's eyes are grey/blue, dad's brown, both my sisties brown, oldest brother light eucalyptus leaf green, other 2 brothers bright blue...

Bright green eyes, huh? Oooooh, sexy!

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
And too, my oldest sis and her husband both have CocaCola clored eyes, and their older son has the same bright blue as our brothers. When asked how a brown-eyed couple produced a blue-eyed child, my sister smugly replies "designer genes"...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Actually Jade, the gene that leads to blue eyes is recessive, brown eyes are dominant. So if you have one of each (one from each parent) then you will have brown eyes.

2 parents can have brown eyes and have a recessive blue eye gene. Then each parent passes on the blue eye gene to the offspring (50% chance from each = 25% chance) and the offspring will have blue eyes.

/end biotechnologist mode

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
sick puppy, my eyes are the same. .exactly, they go hazel to green (to bright green if im upset) depended, tis strange huh! though i do know a couple of other ppl who's eyes do that

the nicest eyes ive ever seen were my ex's, they were bright amber!

hugs and fluff
lolli x x

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My eyes change colour. They go blue when I'm really happy. Sometimes they are brown. Others they are green. My little Napalm Fairy has done a study of them. Maybe she will share her results with us . . .

Meh

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Arsns eyes change colour too...
They range from a beautiful green, to a hazel/brown/ or a grey colour... depending on how he feels..

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Flynt:
you let some girl stick her fingers in your eye??????

kinky... `

I don't think "let" is the word I would use, more like "snuck up behind me whilst I was drunk and tried to remove my 'contacts' forcefully". I don't talk to her anymore. She's mean.

My friend Lanie has naturally grey eyes, they look wicked. I really want grey eyes.

I also met an albino a long time ago on a train ride to Oxford, he had bright pink eyes like a mouse or rabbit or something.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
We had problems with that in Anatomy. Most professors used the word "little finger." Some used "fifth finger" and some just told it like it is and used "pinkie." The latin word is "digiti minimi" (little digit).

But nobody had a problem using the word "index finger" (that said, the latin word is "indicis") or "middle finger" or even "ring finger."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Back to the finger discussion ... I got an email from Shibaki a short while ago with interesting explanation for the middle finger

shine on
cass

There's always a history behind everything. This is what has happened to the symbolic use of the middle finger:

In the film Titanic the character Rose is shown giving the finger
to Jack, another character. Many people who have seen the film
question whether "giving the finger" was done around the time of the Titanic disaster, or was it a more recent gesture invented by some defiant
seventh-grader.
According to research, here's the true story:

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating
victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all
captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible
to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore [soldiers would] be
incapable of fighting in the future. This famous weapon was made of
the native English yew tree,and the act of drawing the longbow was known as
"plucking the yew."
Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew!"

Over the years some "folk etymologies" have grown up around this
symbolic gesture. Since "pluck yew" is rather difficult to say, like
"pheasant mother plucker," which is who you had to go to for the feathers used on the arrows for the longbow, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative "f," and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger salute are takenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the gesture is known as "giving the bird."

And yew all thought yew knew everything!

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Similarly the 2 figured salute is given by poi spinners to staff purists as a way of saying "We still have our poi fingers!"

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
ROFLMAO

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Oh, thanks to Glass there's an equivalent for flag purists who don't think my flags are proper flags: "I blow my nose on your flags!"

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Wow Cass, I knew that the French had thought about cutting off the fingers so the English couldn't draw their bows but I didn't know the rest, yew are so clever!!!!!

Boy that's a bad joke!!!!!!lol

My eyes are yellow/green and go slate grey, there seems to be a lot of people who's eyes change but where as the majority seem to be with mood, mine are usually with the weather!!!!

K

whats up with all the limitations?

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
mine go from blue to hazel to green depending on mood or intoxication I think.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I'm guessing the colour of people's eyes changing with mood is to do with the distribution of pigmentation in the iris. Mood (I think) affects the dilation of the pupils, and thus the visible area of the iris. That would also explain the change with intoxication and brightness of light.
Mine are grey/green/blue, for the record

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Page: