Forums > Social Chat > some strange stuff on telly..........

Login/Join to Participate

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
ok
there i was, all nicely cuddled up in my bed. Its 4 in the morning and i really should sleep but that documentary on first world war submarines is just too interesting to miss (yes im a history geek). so eventually the commercials come on and i start zapping. so i get to this channel that seems to play infomercials all day and all night long. So they have the newest of the new contraptions that will make you loose weight by sitting around on your arse all day eating cake and watching telly. It was called the sauna belt, i think. And what do i see? A slim, good lookin woman standing there, wearing that sauna belt (why on earth does SHE need it?), spinning a steady 2-beat weave with lit firechains.
im serious. it was really bizzare. she had that huge fake smile plastered all over her face. I think she was looking for the facial expression for loosing weight but failed miserably..........

why on earth would they put poi into an infomercial? Is that what slim people do? why do informercials exist? why do people believe that you can loose weight by wearing a belt that will heat them up and give them a rash?

people are strange

smile

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
umm that does indeed sound like the most bizarre object to be associated with poi.... the ad-man must've been having a funny day....

......... i don't get it, i just don't get it, how in hell does heating up your waist help you lose weight? water yes, i get that, but....... maybe having a hot belly puts you off eating?... *needs utterly baffled looking smiley*

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
has anyone seen that new Golf GTI advert with the liquid dancing fred astaire? as adeverts go it's pretty damn cool. cool anyone know who they got to do it?

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Borathmember
64 posts

Posted:
Don't know who did it but I sure want to shake their hand! One of the best adverts I've seen in a long time. Always makes me grin,.

I can't be evil; I'm wearing pink.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I think the GTI ad is CGI on motion capture. Some of the movements are a bit patchy...

By the way, the next show I'm doing is Singin in the Rain!!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
tv gives me the sh!ts, ads give me the sh!ts, fake plastic smiles give me the sh!ts, i've lost quite a bit of weight since reading this thread. biggrin

Wonder MonkeyBRONZE Member
Certainly confused
121 posts

Posted:
ubblol biggrin ubblol biggrin ubblol biggrin

The Citroen C4 advert rocks my kasbah.

Transformers are the coolest bounce

smile

My Mummy Says Im Special

bounce ubbloco bounce

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the new nike advert - that girl eek

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im not a fan of the nike advert as I dont think she is that good.

Hell yeah, she's miles better than I am, but Im sure I have seen many other breakdancers/ liquidizers who would put her to shame. Which seems a bit wierd that Nike would go for second best... confused

Oh the Golf advert is pure genius.. I saw it yesterday for the first time, and my jaw dropped. My housemate thought it was for GAP first of all. eek ubblove

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
the singing in the rain is here, i don't see CGI
https://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-video/Media/video/2005/01/27/golfgti.mov

CGI Honda car ad, I have, good quality
I can mail it to people who are desperate, but its online in lots of places so dig around first

Nike anyone know where its online?

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: SKY NEWS

"One of the most famous classic Hollywood movie scenes has been given a very modern twist. With the help of some clever computer effects, Gene Kelly's memorable dance sequence in Singin' In The Rain has been updated so that the star now appears to be Breakdancin' In The Rain.

And it's all thanks to a car advert for the new Volkswagen Golf GTi. Having received permission from the Gene Kelly Foundation, the makers of the advert set about transforming the original scene.

For the backdrop to remain the same replica streets were built, and the ad makers used break dancers and body poppers to create the moves and follow the same route Kelly takes in the 1952 film.

Kelly's face was then superimposed and a new remixed soundtrack by dance music duo Mint Royale was added.

A Volkswagen spokeswoman said: "The idea behind the commercial is all about the fact that the new Golf GTI is the original Mk I, but updated for 2005. The latest Golf is seen as a classic and iconic car and we really wanted to show that in a very unusual and memorable way."

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

the new nike advert - that girl eek

cole. x

Not a fan of girls who could probably lift me over there head, spin me around and chuck me over the horizon, popeye style

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i like the nike one... an when it came on we all had a good laugh about how such a thing might appeal to nike's huge 'sportswear enthusiat' market... ubblol

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
a guy in america got a few million off Citroen, for the main fact that his car didn't get up and start dancing tongue ubblol

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

the singing in the rain is here, i don't see CGI

https://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-video/Media/video/2005/01/27/golfgti.mov

drew - my random find for today is:

that the guy they used for motion capture for the golf advert was none other than... elsewhere smile

the link my peoples

who knew?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I KNOW WHY THEY PUT POI ON THAT INFOMERCIAL!
heheheh i'm smart. People who dont firetwirl are intrigued by it - it looks sexy.
Sticking this chick with poi on an infomercial will look sexy to them and show them jsut how sexy they can be if they buy their cheezy product...its liek say "look at thye life you can have if you buy our expensive, overrated product"
And i'm done....off to my ab swing...

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.