KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
i was wanderng in terms of hand protection, what would be the best form, especially since i focus on wraps but my hand always seems to creep up the staff and it gets a bit to warm... i do practice unlight but i cant seem to get out of the habit of letting my hand creep up, the move still works but at the expense of skin cells so i figured there must be some sort of glove or something that is either designed for such dillemas or a glove best suited for the problem

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Hey Firebug,

i just bought some leather gloves from a saddlery ($50). They are perfect for my fire fans because they protect me from the heat. I also had a look in sports shops for weight lifting gloves (without fingertips around $20) which give you a good grip but most of these have leather only in the palms but not on the knuckels. Should be suitable for staffing though.

Hope you found someone to play with.
Tadda

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i use leather driving gloves...yeah okay so the knuckles are exposed, but other than that they're good. They don't have lining, so they aren't likely to light. I can comfortably hold a flame with them, hope it helps.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
thin leather gloves will probably be best, as if the gloves get too thick then you'll end up not really being able to feel where the staff is, plus leather can be quite flame resistant

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
somebody using leather bracers? i got my first burn yesterday, when i wrapped tubecore poi. :S

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
hey bug.....ok i do alot of wraps and catch my poi at the wick ALOT, i have found that sport gloves, like batting gloves or football gloves (our football but i guess gollie gloves might work) just dont hold them for more than like 3 sec or that leather gets hot and HOLD heat........best of luck bro

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Disc0, I have a pair of leather bracers somewhere in my fire kit. I used them for a while. The funniest comment I ever got was at a party where one of my buddies asked me "Dude, where's your falcon." Dunno why it made me laugh for hours.

Oh... to make them, just get some leather and punch some gromet holes in them and lace them up.

But now I use black kevlar sleeves (SWAT teams use them because they're 'flashbang proof') so they're VERY flame resistant. And they actually look less... fetishy. But they're still unique enough to qualify as costume.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi FireBug from outback WA. I've been chasing leather cuffs for use with poi recently.

Personally, I don't like gloves as they reduce feel. And as you probably know, there are a number of ways to prevent staff creep with hand placement. Have look at the first staff lessons (rotor), especially the written description. One I do is to roll the centre of the staff over my wrist, so I grasp it off centre and this helps reduce creep. But if you are loosing skin, then gloves could be the way to go.

You might get lucky and pick up some cheap motor bike gloves. Summer gloves should be thin enough to allow lots of feel. Not sure if the kevlar bike gloves are fire proof, and they cost a bomb. You might get some cheap leather mittens from a Harley shop.

Has anyone tried fencing gloves/cuffs?

With poi, I've been looking for some leather cuffs, but the ones in the Goth shops are way to expensive, especially if they have sprung metal in the cuff to hold them on. Apparently you can get welding cuffs, but I haven't seen them in the shops. Must check the local Hog shop.

So, I'm just going to make some out of leather and lace them, NYC style.

Cheers

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I have a few pairs of welding gloves that I love for doing fire safety. They cost $10 US, they're blue, and I can hold a burning poi with them for quite some time. I can even grab a smaller poi wick with two hands and extinguish it. Makes me feel relatively confident that I'll be able to deal with any safety situation that may arise.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Leather lines mens glove work great and you can get them at a fair price .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
golf leather glove

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Stone, try here:
www.martialartsmart.com
They sell studded cuffs and belts, I think they're in the kung fu uniform section or something like that..the price is reasonable too- something like $20 us a pair, or close to it. And they look freaking awesome.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Golf leather glove's are synthetic.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks for the link Amanita. Now that I think of it, there is martial arts shop down the road, so I'll have a look.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh