Devil - Dmember
72 posts

Posted:
Hi guys!

Next year, or the last few months of 2005, I'd like to go abroad for a few months to South America. Anyone else been there before for longer time? Would they give me some tips, do's don'ts? Country's I'd like to go are: Bolivia, Brazil, Peru and Ecuador... And if there's anyone else who got the same plans, send me a PM! Maybe we could travel together for a week/few weeks/ or longer...

peace

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

Brazil aye? your gonna love the Brazillians *chuckle*

I spent 6 months in Brazil. Probably the advice i would give you is stay in well lit area's during the night. its not too dangerous a place but be carefull is best.

Also there are wonderfull things to find there if you just go walking, so perhaps set a day or two aside to find walking tracks and discovery very much.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

jimsBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
hello there. i spent a couple of months travelling down from ecuador through peru to bolivia. had the most amazing time. what kinda stuff you wanna know?? james

enjoy boredom.its all you have to look forward to

Devil - Dmember
72 posts

Posted:
Well, I'd like to make a trip through the same country's. All I' wanna know is...what can I' do to have a trip, without seriously dangerous situations. Where can I' trust Taxi's, can I' leave my backpack in my hoste lroom, while I' enjoy La Paz (for example), kinda stuff like that, so have you ever had dangerous situations in these country's?

btw, have you met much englisch talking people in these country's? Otherwise, I' got to learn better spanish

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Make sure you got good shoes! biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
learning spanish is quite important so i'm told from the people i've met who've been there,

but hey i'm gonna go without knowing any...

Ninjas NEVER give up!

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Hello - Hola
Goodbye - Adios
Please - Por favor
Thankyou - Gracias
1 - uno
2 - dos
3 - tres
4 - quatro
5 - cinco
6 - seis
7 - siete
8 - ocho
9 - nueve
10 - dies
2 beers please - dos cerbezas por favor

Say everything with a lazy tongue, so you s's become th's

Thats's all I know after studying it for 4 years!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
¡Mi gato ha sido pulsado por el relámpago!

My cat has been struck by lightning!

Might come in useful! biggrin

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
This could be useful:

https://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

Devil - Dmember
72 posts

Posted:
thanx!

jimsBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
yes knowing some spanish is certainly a good idea., i didnt and really struggled sometimes. as for taxies and wotnot. there generally ok and the only way to travel after dark in any of the major cities. dont even think about walking far. as long as your staying in a reasonably decent hostel you should be ok with bags in rooms. and most have a safe to put really valued stuff in. as for dangerous situations i was pretty lucky to avoid them but just use you common sense. hope that helps kinda. james

enjoy boredom.its all you have to look forward to

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking about hitting up Ecuador in July of 08. Any one know of the spinning community down there? Any one know any one on here that is in that area? Ideaally id like to Fed Ex my fire gear down there but i giotta have an address:).

Also, any one got any more tips?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
Hi smile

Learning Spanish is SO IMPORTANT! I travelled and worked in peru for 2 months this year and it was awesome, so don't worry smile I didn't have any trouble with anyone, though you have to be vigilant and don't let anyone distract you when you're out and carrying valuables.

As for your back pack in hostels, I always left my stuff in my room but my valuables in the safe deposit box. For hostels I booked through hostelworld.com (they have customer reviews which i found useful), or stayed in lonely planet recommended places... In fact, I have a list of good places to stay all over Peru, PM me if you're interested smile

Oooh! And if you want to spin in Peru, I know a bunch of people in La Tarumba (Peru's only circus school) so I can send you their email addresses... if i can find them!

Oooh! Another few tips: Don't drink the tap water, be careful with swimming in rivers and such like - specially in Brazil (you don't want schistosomiasis), careful with unpasteurised dairy (listeria) and wear insect repellent. Trust me.

Let me know if you need more tips smile