Forums > Help! > Text message - not recieving. Help?

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Either my phone's not receiving text messages, or my girlfriend's phone isn't sending them properly. I know I can easily test this by getting someone else to help me, but the problem after that is what do we do about it? We're on a stupid contract where it costs loads to ring the customer services, so I was wondering if there was anything I can do before spending silly money on it.

She can still recieve texts from me but not the other way round. This is really annoying as we usually text all day because daytime calls cost loads, and we really need to be in touch at the moment. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and in case someone suggests it, her uni have decided to switch off the internet to her halls at the moment so we can't just communicate over the net frown Grr this is perfect timing

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
sms has no Quality of Service (QoS), so they arn't guaranteed not to get lost (and as such you don't get a refund when they fail). See if it happens when you're in different locations, it could just be a dodgy transmitter

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It's just the not recieving/sending (whichever it is) between one another (on the same network) for at least 48 hours which is causing the concern.. I've tried SOME different locations but the thing is, the day it stopped working I'd probably recieved 10 texts from her which all got through OK. This is very poo.

Thanks for the info though.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
the best advice i can give is don't use sms for anything important, and call if you odn't get a delivery report within an hour if it's something you're waiting for a reply on. Sms was never designed for mass use (it was designed by engineers to send messages to each other whilst building the phone network), but as phone companies make an absolute killing out of it in it's current form they don't really have the incentive to make it any better.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I didn't realise that's what it was originally for. That sucks, but as you say it won't improve. Oh well. Thanks a lot for the words of wisdom!

Thoreau

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I hear this roumour that by using phones we can actually 'talk' to each other. Amazing! If yours does it I'd suggest ringing her wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
The only problem with that is texts - free, calls - 35p per minute, me - student. You know? wink

As a conclusion to this, I got 17 texts last night, one after the other. There was constant vibration for about 2 minutes. I almost came.

So no harm done, and now it seems to be back to normal. Odd though.

Thoreau