• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Disciplining other people's children

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Eera

old hand

Total posts: 1107
Posted:I've just been on a two hour train ride with a very loud child, maybe 6 or so, screaming and bouncing around the whole way, to the extent that people were having to move out of the carriage. His mother and grandmother didn't really seem to take much of an interest other than the odd "shush!" every now and again.

Now, what's the go when you're in a situation like this? If you have children are you offended when someone asks you to quiet them up, or do you ask the child directly? I realise that children can wear you down or that ADD and the like will have an effect, but what is the best way to apprach it without causing offence?

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Delete Topic

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:Im sorry DevKev, This is is the socal discussion forum.

You are not allowed to be silly or say anything off topic otherwise OWD has a seizure and the Mods will forever stigmatise you. wink

Ive been there an' I know what it feels like.

smile

Delete

ado-p
GOLD Member since May 2004

ado-p

Pirate Ninja

Total posts: 3882
Posted:yeah dev if your going to be silly you could at least do it in chinese wink

Love is the law.

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:Written by: Eera
Now, what's the go when you're in a situation like this? If you have children are you offended when someone asks you to quiet them up, or do you ask the child directly?

I've never been told to keep my son under control, nor has he been asked directly. I'd be either embarassed or offended if they did, but I'd rather they did instead of looking at us disapprovingly and saying nothing other than between themselves.

On public transport, if children are lacking control, it's usually because they're bored, hungry, thirsty, tired, or all of the above. The other factors tend to be how the child or parents decide to behave.

All too often, I see children on buses whose parents are also ignoring them, then snapping at them when they do finally give them attention. Those who annoy me most are those who write text messages on their phones while seeming completely oblivious to their child's screams.

But despite this, it's important to remember that it's unfair to judge when I don't know what kind of day the child or parents have had. He or she may have been consoled successfully for the most part of the journey yet become so uncontrollable that the only thing the parent can do to remedy it is to get off, which isn't often an option, especially on long journeys.

I remember one bus journey on which my son was behaving exactly like that, until one kind woman, who happened to be on her way to university, sat next to us and let him use her colouring pens and paper - I was at my wits end until that point and she was an absolute lifesaver.

A good alternative for those carrying toys with them is to put on a short show, which should give all those affected at least 1 minutes peace! smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Eera

old hand

Total posts: 1107
Posted:Thanks, Spanner, that's a really good idea.

Having lived in England for 14 years my first reaction was the good old loud "hurrumph". One of the locals took it onto himself to have a go with "Shut up you noisy bastard!" which I thought was slightly unnessescary language for a child.

It's not like the kid was being bad, simply loud in the way that exuberant children are; pointing out every boat or tunnel we came accross at the top of his voice, which is why I was reluctant to say anything as children should be encouraged to take an interest (the nearest I've ever come to hitting someone was a woman on a bus with a small child, who was talking to her friend, the kid tugged at her arm and said "mummy, look, there's my school, to which she said "I don't know why you go there, you're so f*cking stupid.")

Anyway, thanks for the help.

And Dentrassi, I ***will*** get there, so far I've been up on the Central coast every weekend, as the olds have a huge property near the beach; how could you resist that? I'm going to Sydney spins thread right now, promise!

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1662
Posted:one time i was in a shop with my mum and there was this really annoying kid in there who started having a go at my mum N(he was only about 6 or something!)

well i couldn't see his parent anywhere so i just picked him up nad took him to the counter. i said do you want me to kick you? he couldn't get away so he had to answer it and i wouldn't put him down till he apologised.

i think he was old enough to realise that he did bad, and i think it was embarassment that stopped him being anoying after that, but he just carried on wondering round the shop without saying a word!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

Page: 12