Forums > Social Discussion > Disciplining other people's children

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I've just been on a two hour train ride with a very loud child, maybe 6 or so, screaming and bouncing around the whole way, to the extent that people were having to move out of the carriage. His mother and grandmother didn't really seem to take much of an interest other than the odd "shush!" every now and again.

Now, what's the go when you're in a situation like this? If you have children are you offended when someone asks you to quiet them up, or do you ask the child directly? I realise that children can wear you down or that ADD and the like will have an effect, but what is the best way to apprach it without causing offence?

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im sorry DevKev, This is is the socal discussion forum.

You are not allowed to be silly or say anything off topic otherwise OWD has a seizure and the Mods will forever stigmatise you. wink

Ive been there an' I know what it feels like.

smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yeah dev if your going to be silly you could at least do it in chinese wink

Love is the law.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Spanner, that's a really good idea.

Having lived in England for 14 years my first reaction was the good old loud "hurrumph". One of the locals took it onto himself to have a go with "Shut up you noisy bastard!" which I thought was slightly unnessescary language for a child.

It's not like the kid was being bad, simply loud in the way that exuberant children are; pointing out every boat or tunnel we came accross at the top of his voice, which is why I was reluctant to say anything as children should be encouraged to take an interest (the nearest I've ever come to hitting someone was a woman on a bus with a small child, who was talking to her friend, the kid tugged at her arm and said "mummy, look, there's my school, to which she said "I don't know why you go there, you're so f*cking stupid.")

Anyway, thanks for the help.

And Dentrassi, I ***will*** get there, so far I've been up on the Central coast every weekend, as the olds have a huge property near the beach; how could you resist that? I'm going to Sydney spins thread right now, promise!

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
one time i was in a shop with my mum and there was this really annoying kid in there who started having a go at my mum N(he was only about 6 or something!)

well i couldn't see his parent anywhere so i just picked him up nad took him to the counter. i said do you want me to kick you? he couldn't get away so he had to answer it and i wouldn't put him down till he apologised.

i think he was old enough to realise that he did bad, and i think it was embarassment that stopped him being anoying after that, but he just carried on wondering round the shop without saying a word!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Page: