Forums > Social Chat > Oh the joys of insomnia...

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yes, folks...it happens to the best of us.

Oh, and it happens to me, too. frown

Here it is two hours before I have to be awake and I sat up bolt-upright and wide awake. I had a monster swim practice last night and want to swim a monster one this morning before I leave for Atlanta and I NEED MY SLEEP DAMMIT!

What can you do to help you sleep when you have to be up in 2 hours?

Oh? What was that? A YAWN!!! eek

Excuse me...I'm crawling back into bed. Anyone wanna join me?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
You should know, youre the med student...

I like Ovaltine with Baileys in it... preferably with more Baileys than Ovaltine, but you cant have it all ways...

I read as well, usually im asleep after 5 pages,unless its a good book (I was up all night with Harry Potter 5)

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

rarrBRONZE Member
rrragghh!
121 posts

Posted:
I usually use 6 cans of stella smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Hot milk with nutmeg does it for me. plus the normal stuff - no tea or coffee 4 hours before you want to sleep. Make sure you feet are cooler than the rest of your body (but not cold - donno why - but it works!)

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
the only true cure for my insomnia is to pick up a technical journal (say Journal of Geophysical Reviews: Space Sciences) and start reading something vaguely related to my work (e.g. "on the propagation of jovian electrons in the heliosphere").

anything less than such drastic measures are insufficient to force me to sleep...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Your subconscious is worried about your interviews. That's understandable. Maybe think positive thoughts about them before going to bed on the nights when you know you'll have one soon? Or do something to completely relax you about them.

Good luck by the way! hug

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Often times when I'm chill and relaxed and still can't sleep I find that it's because I didn't really need the sleep.

And I spend all night panicing because I can't sleep but I turn out to be fine the next day.

But that's just me.

And besides, if you can't function on a poor night's sleep then perhaps you've picked the wrong profession. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
Ok I dont know if this would work for anyone else...
If I cant slepp (every night just about) I get and I dance. And I dont mean normal dancing, I mean classical ballet. It doesn't put me to sleep, but it does tire me out enough to where I can (sometimes) fall asleep

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

My hairs on fireIf its got pistons or boobs, its gonna be expensive...
515 posts

Posted:
Meet my friend, Mr Jack Daniels hehe. That usualy works for me...

ave a lil spin or try an tire yourself out sum how is another gd one.

Henry Hill - 'One day the kids from the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? It was out of respect'...

ahmet_20valve_ahmet(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hope all is well : )

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

Sleep goes in 90 minutes cycles, so you should get sleepy every 90 min or so; if you miss the bus, you have to wait for another 90 min to feel sleepy again.

Don’t fight the urge to sleep i.e.go the bed when you are tired, and get up at the same time every morning. Don’t stay in bed trying to sleep, get up after 30 min of so and read a boring book.

The monster swim practice may have hyped you up. Milk, Valarian, Horlicks etc. are meant to help you sleep. Contrary to popular opinion, alcohol is not always a good idea, especially if it is mixed with something fizzy containing caffeine.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
I just lie flat on my bed and breathe deeply, visualizing that I'm lying in a grassy field. On each breath in, I imagine that the motion of my rib cage is pushing me down into the earth. Each breath out, that letting out my breath makes me sink deeper.

This is not logical, but the more I breathe, the deeper I sink. Works for me.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

YexBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
just lie there and close your eyes and think about nothing especailly falling asleep. this works good for me.

"Not all who wander are lost. "

J.R.R. Tolkien

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well here we are again. I'm on call in 3.5 hours and I can't sleep.

I hate this. frown

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

I'm crawling back into bed. Anyone wanna join me?

Memememememememememe! biggrin

hug

Get yourself a nice big sleeping pill...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
i think doc would rather a nice big something else... ubblol

I meant a cup of cocoa - honest!!!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Did i do you a copy of Tiny Island Mike?

I use it to fall asleep anytime, anywhere- its a beautiful piece of music but it also helps me completely absorb myself in the music, clear my head of any other thoughts and slowly slip away smile

Pm me if you want details smile

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lightning

I managed 1 hour on friday night as a result of taking some strong painkillers I got a couple of months ago after an operation. 1 hour during saturday daytime through exhustion. About 4, maybe 5 hours last night, then 1 or 2 this morning. I am remarkably awake too, I'm thinking of having a career and life change by becoming a professional soldier.

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
take off the pressure and enjoy it it`s even a therapy for depression, a night without sleep, it works like "homemade" antidepressiva... in the moment you relax you will be able to sleep

I`m pretty much into being without sleep my bf has another sleep rythm so then we want to be together he stays awake all day or I stay awak all night even if I have to go to a test or something your brain will still work properly and as ex swimmer of the GDR I know could win contest still even without sleep I know everybody deals it different but just to take off the pressure... smile

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
read something, write down everything that comes out of your mind so that it will be empty or dring hot milk with cardamom seeds, squashed! run around your block!?

try to meditate!

find someone to cuddle! hug

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
you should get one of those cuddly phones we talked about. it might nothelp you sleep, it'll help you sleep better tho....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
ah yes. the joys of insomnia.

the good thing [really] is that you don't think this is a good thing.

*explains*

a few years back saw me getting 2hrs a night continuously for about a year - but i thought hey, this is good.. more time for me!.. which made it harder to get out of. so don't give up and think it's a good thing, keep at it.

-music, meditation, reading, all of the above. i advise no hopping or chatting [eek].. this generally bypasses the sleep cycles altogether wink

most of all, goodluck hug and do tell what things work for you smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
making peace is a bit better than worrying ifyou can't fix it and it doesn't hurt tho...

don't know about when it does....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I didn't sleep for a week once........ shut myself in my room, didn't come out.... managed to drink still though...... started hallucinating, was very strange and scary, then kinda just collapsed and was out cold for a very long time..... now when I can't sleep, I just kinda lie there and empty my head...... I find that if I concentrate on nothing (that isn't not concentrating) I usually mange to drift off ok smile

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
theres a special cream you can get and its called something like badger sleeping cream...my flatmate swears by it-will find out its actual name...if that fails i don't mind coming to bed with you abd giving you head tickles till you get snoozy! biggrin

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
more tips are [Old link] ... you seemed to have a solution then, Doc!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Sorry can't help doc only got 2 hours in between thursday and monday. I know how to stay awake.... pick up a big stick with fire on both ends and spin like a dervish... wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

georgia-kBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
i find thinking about dreams i've had helps me go to sleep. just imagine yourself in a dream place again and you soon will be.

other than that a nice pure skunk spliff usually does the trick wink

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
I heard of hypnosis tapes that can give you a "full nights sleep" in 15 minutes. I don't know if they work but I have been thinking of getting them. I will let you know if they work. Of course that doesn't help tonight does it.

The old saying when you need to sleep just start to read the Bible and Satan is sure to put you to sleep. Now I don't know if Satan is really to blame, it might just be the writing style. You could also try reading that text book from school you know the big thick on from the class you took only becuase you had to.

I thought I waz just dreammin'?!!??!!??!! Dis place can't really be real.

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
Maybe you shouldn't listen to me since I am a sleep Depravation junkie. Or maybe you should since I go through this a lot. I would say if you have two or three hours then DON'T GO TO SLEEP!! You will not wake up. Just push on through. Eat light snacks of high energy (like raw fruits and veggies) foods though out the day to boost your energy. Clear your evening. Eat dinner early, drink some Camomile tea, pop some valarian, and lay down earlier than you would normally. Be careful of staying up though it is a mild halusnagen. You may have a little "trippy" feeling. Don't operate heavy machinery or sharp objects. Seriously it can be like taking a drug. Treat it like it is one. You can also try melatonin? or something like that. It doesn't put you to sleep, but taken over a period of time at the same time every day signals you body to sleep at that time. If this is cronic then you should invest in the long term with this.

I thought I waz just dreammin'?!!??!!??!! Dis place can't really be real.