Forums > Help! > Traditional music for Fire performances

Login/Join to Participate

~m~BRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Hello!

I'm in need of some help finding appropriate music use for a fire performance.

I can find loads of tracks that would be great to spin to - ie that have a good strong beat and that, in my opinion, have a nice, slightly "dark" feel, which I think is good for fire performances - but I have one teensy problem...

The performance in question is an an event which has a historical setting, meaning that I absolutely can't use any music which sounds later than early 1800s, and I would prefer (for personal taste reasons) to find something of a folk or tribal nature.

Does anyone have any suggestions on something that is both olde worlde in sound *and* good to spin to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
~m~

"Come to the edge", he said. They said "We are afraid."
"Come to the edge", he said. They came.
He pushed them..... and they flew.
- Apollinaire

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
classical music can sometime be good to spin to (like wagner etc..) if not then african drumming's always good. have you thought about getting live drummers? there's a lot around notts that used to come to our practices... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey ~m~

i couldnt give you names or artists, but what i would suggest is find a local drumming / bongo circle that meets up and have a jam with them biggrin

Drumming for me is the best thing to spin too, especially when there are alot of drummers - if you could interest a few of them in the gig then not only would you solve your music problem, but youd be able to offer not only with live visuals, but live sound too cool

Good luck with it biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

~m~BRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
I'd thought of drumming - we do have some drummers who go along to these events, but (like us) they're ametures, and we wouldn't have much in the way of opportunity to practice together. It's a long term option, but it would be good to put something together in time for our Christmas event, which is on Dec 11th, so I'm looking for a quick-fix for music for that - I'll discuss live stuff with the guys who do it after that....

As for people in Notts, that's great, but sadly the events are in South Wales, or Shropshire (Shropshire in the case of the Christmas one)! Long way to go when no-one's going to pay you to turn up....

Do any of these guys you know sell CDs of their music??? It would be a start!

Classical music is being investigated - I shall put Wagner on the list!

Thanks anyway
~m~

- Apollinaire

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
flute music is funny stuff.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
there's much better stuuf than wagner for spinning too i just don't know what it's called. i used an 'era-ameno' remix for a performance once which is kind of classical and very dramatic...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
there's tons of drumming cd's around that are less than a fiver. Look in the crappy "bargain bin" section of any record store or ask at the counter, they always have a selection. If you ask in Virgin for their recomendations they're really good at helping you find stuff.

As for folk music, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that sounds "pre" 1800's as the traditional genre hasn't changed much in time, and tribal music again ask in any virgin store. You can listen before you buy too.

Best suggestion is deffinately strugzies, any drummer(s) that can basically jam in rhythm are good enough to spin to. It's not like it has to be a crafted percussion master piece.

Your title is quite funny tho, I think for "fire" spinning the traditional music would be trance or the like, it's hardly an acient art form like non-fire spinning.

Good luck, when/where is it in Shropshire? I live in Shropshire and would be interested in coming along to watch you guys perform smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

~m~BRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the suggestions, every one - I'm meeting the rest of my lot this w/end, so will discuss with them these and other options.

Duballstar - Era are great, I agree, sadly just sound too modern for this. Dunc, I will check out Virgin next time I'm in town!

Oh and we have events at Wilderhope mannor, near Longville in the Dale. However, the're closed live role playing events, rather than being open to the public. I *might* be able to sneak people in to see our performance if you're really keen, but you may have to come in cosutme!!!

Or, of course, you could come Live Role Playing and join in!

See www.ShardsLRP.com for more details if you're really interested.

hugs,
~m~

- Apollinaire

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

If you ask in Virgin for their recomendations they're really good at helping you find stuff.

Really? I wasn't when I worked at Virgin, and I certainly wouldn't have been able to find drumming CDs. Sorry if that's a bit negative, just don't count on them being able to get what you want. The computer database system thingy they use (ELVIS) is the most outdated piece of crap in the world. It looks like when you see a computer screen in a film from the 70s.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
If you want traditional music played live in South Wales try contacting the Urdd . Its a youth group that promotes, amongst other things, Welsh speaking, music, dance....... lots of other things too. They have Choirs and musicians coming out of their ears and the love to perform. They might be worth trying. ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

FIRE_SPINNERBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
not sure if this is old enough but i find explosive by bond a good fire performance music

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Use anything by the Dubliners. Sounds like they've been singin' dem songs fer years. Good tempo too.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

~m~BRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the tips, everyone! smile

We've settled on Loreena McKennit's very appropriately titled "Huron 'Beltane' Fire Dance", with the fast bit at the end extended somewhat to make it longer.

So my next question is - what do people think is a good length for a fire performance? Taking into account that we're performing outside in the UK in December, so it's going to be pretty nippy for those who are standing around watching.

One guy who's performing with us wants to go for 15 minutes, but I think that's a bit long personally - I was thinking more like 10 mins max, possibly even shorter.

We want to have time to show off what we can do, but don't want people to get bored or freeze to death!

Any opinions?

Thanks!
~m~

- Apollinaire

Aleksjourneyman
64 posts

Posted:
Will you be able to keep alight for that long.... I mean are you going to take it in turns?

Look at me twirl my pretty rainbow poi in my rainbowhat with my rainbow earings and my rainbow top etc.....

~m~BRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
There are a few of us (5 in total, I think), so it'll be a case of taking things in turns, overlapping so there are about 2 or 3 people twirling most of the time, with everyone pitching in for a grand fanale. That's the current plan, anyway.

Having never done this sort of thing before, and having only ever seen one proper, organised fire display ever, we're rather making it up as we go along!

- Apollinaire

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Howsabout

www.omnia-neocelt.com
www.faune.de
www.shantalla.be
www.urbantrad.be

Do a search on Corvus corax and Schelmish on google, these are also good bands.

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

~m~BRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Great stuff, especially Omina, who sound just like what I'm after - Thanks!

smile

- Apollinaire

Cozeynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
hey, going along with this post.....I am looking for music to perform to in a pageant. and when i say pageant...i mean like miss america. hahaha. (how corney) the one that i am doing is a pre-lim to miss america and ive been talking to some people and they think i should go traditional for the music selection. but I went to the websites that Fuero posted and they wouldnt work for me.....any other suggestions??

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
What kind of traditional music do you mean then?

Cozeynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
by traditional, i guess i mean the kind of stuff they used to spin to way back when. lol...but i guess its alot different from now....music evolves sooo much. But ive heard alot about drums and stuff.....and i was able to get some of those sites listed above to work...so i can hear some of that stuff.....I guess im just trying to get a feel for this new music....the pageants in the end of january...so if i start now i think i will have enough time. thanks for the help.

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Well these guys use tradition and mix it with they're own nowadays style. There are authentic reproducing groups, maybe you can find it under re-enactment or archeologic music. I know Omnia started out that way.

IzteSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Shpongle.
Garmarna (Finnish folk),
Anuar Brahem Trio

Intergalactic Parade

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
You'll find you'll want the 15 minutes. The crowd will probably want 15 minutes.

We did two 30 minute sets on Friday, and the crowd begged...actually demanded an encore. This is Houston, not the UK, in December, so there is a difference, but the crowd will not get antsy with a 15 minute show. That's a good length.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

~m~BRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... I've had other people say the same, actually. Maybe I'm being somewhat overcautious. But then, this is our first organised show, we don't have *that* much material, and we see the same bunch of people once a month or so, so if they're really desperate for more, they won't have long to wait....

I think we'll stick to 10 mins this time - less pressure on us, for one thing - but who knows what the future will hold!

I'll let you all know how it goes.....

Thanks smile
~m~

- Apollinaire

Catsmiomember
37 posts

Posted:
I want a CD with all good music.. it should be done..... that would be awesome.
Suggestions can be voted for...
Couple of good graphics one the front... maybe in the book...

*plants a seed*

"Don't be so humble, you are not that great."