Forums > Social Chat > The whole "do a durbs" thing... well it doesn't work.

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
OK, so I've been searching around for some of the more basic moves I haven't yet got, and the earliest entries have replies saying "Do a search". Is it just me or is that a bit unhelpful?

I'm still stuck on the 5bt, and the earliest entry is from april 2001 - that's over 3 years ago - but people are telling the person to search.

It's fine for more recent moves, but the older ones seem a little forgotten. Which is a shame.

I understand it's really annoying for millions of people asking the same things, fair enough, but when 30 minutes of searching results in about 3 lines of tips and no actual... "how to" description, it's a bit hard.

Is this an isloated problem? I just needed more help than lots of people saying "do a search". I did.

EDIT - this isn't meant as criticism of the site, or the search function, or the members. Just an observation that I think people might not be aware of.

EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1100018242)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Have you done a search on doing a search? wink tongue

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yes its just you wink

no its somthing i have come across also, you spend a long period of time searching for threads, tips or advice

and get no return

my policy, if you ahve searched for a while, and i mean searched...start a thread, and post your seach results page in there to prove you have done one, and then ask for help?

Step (el-nombrie)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
seeings as ur in the uk id suggest going to a local meet and finding someone there and asking them to show u, ive learnt way more being over here watching ppl than reading text descriptions when i was in oz. my advice is work out the hand movements without the poi then do it with one then with both understanding the movement you are trying to do and the path that the objects have to travel always helps me with new movements

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I searched every thread with "5", "bt", "5bt", "5 beat" and "5 beat weave", and have come away with this:

"your left wrist bends backwards over the right wrist to make the left poi cross your body first instead of the right"

"try ussing your shoulders more, thats the way i learn it."

"When the right hand poi is on the left hand side of your body and you are about to bring the left hand poi to the right hand side (for normal 3- beat weave) you need to do another circle on the left hand side with it. (this will involve bending of the wrists and then bring the right hand poi over first).

The best way to learn is with someone who can already do it watch them do the 5-beat as slowly as they can (not always that easy to do slowly) then watch the hand and wrist movements and where the poi are for the extra circles"

Which is something, sure.. but not enough.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
probably just need to learn how to use keywords better. I still have a problem with this.

but basically I agree - people are too fast to tell you to do a search without having any idea how hard it may be to find info on what they think is a basic subject without sifting through a zillion threads.

funny thing is, I know that I personally have written more about the 5 beat than you have found. funny how stuff get buried

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
so what is your particualr difficulty anyway. perhaps we can get around to adressing it after we lament the "do a search" culture for a while longer...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yeah.. maybe that's it, that I'm just not searching right. I dunno. It's just not the first time it's happened.. I found threads suggested by mods, and all the links just take me back to the main forums index. Which is kinda frustrating.. I guess they've expired or whatever. It's probably another reason for NYC's more adequate titling of threads, I guess.

Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Oh, just looking for a description of what your wrists should be doing in relation to the body crossing, and just general descriptions of it. I was hoping I'd find a few and peice together a clearer picture of how to do it. An earlier post for the same problem hasn't resulted in it going away.. as I do the body crossing to the left the poi fold in beneath my left arm and tangel, or else touch my body, which is wrong.

I've looked at videos but can't see what I'm doing wrong, at least not in isolation. I don't know anyone who can do it either so it's not as easy as watching someone else.

Thoreau

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Maybe learning a 5 beat weave is hard. Could that be? wink

Maybe you're one of the many people who have trouble learning moves from text descriptions.

You CAN and SHOULD bump up those threads if you have any clarifying questions.

What do you think you'll get from starting a NEW 5 beat weave thread that you won't get from continuing an old one?

I also notice that you have no quotes from the POI LESSONS ON HOW TO DO A 5 BEAT WEAVE located under the FREE LESSONS above. Did you see that?

Don't blame the search engine just cuz you can't do a 5 beat weave. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
there are some topics on which a collection of the useful threads has been compiled.

simian did it for tangles.

and i think there may be others if its ilk.

i think for things like 5bt weaves, bf weaves, fountains and other moves popular after the lessons section here has run out, it would be really handy to have a 'recommended threads thread' what has links to the existing handy advice.

the problem with posting saying "i can't find any decent posts on the 5bt weave" is that it just creates an endless string of threads with the term '5bt weave' in but have no useful information at all in them.

been meaning to make a start on it for ages but i never got round to it.

classic lazy b*stard excuse wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
nice description cole, how long did it take for you to tidy your room wink

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
pk gives some good advice [url=https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB3&Number=107168&Forum=f3&Words="5%20beat%20weave"&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=107168&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=1&oldertype=y&bodyprev=1#Post107168]here[/url]

ooh - and [url=https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB3&Number=107062&Forum=f3&Words="5%20beat%20weave"&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=107062&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=1&oldertype=y&bodyprev=1#Post107062]here[/url]

i searched on [url=https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/dosearch.php?Cat=0&Forum=,f3,&Words="5%20beat%20weave"&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&where=bodysub&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=1&oldertype=y&daterange=1&bodyprev=1&Name]5 beat[/url] , in poi moves only and restricted the search to posts older then a year.

hope that helps a little smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

nice description cole, how long did it take for you to tidy your room wink

i'll tell you when i'm finished... redface

[by the way, sorry about those links up there people - don't know what went wrong shrug]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
NYC - I did see the move bit in the free lessons, yep, and it didn't solve my problem.

I'm fully aware it's really hard and I'm not under the illusion I'm not getting it just from the lack of description... just that I've had the same problem for a few months now and I can't seem to get around it. But I didn't really think to bump those threads.. because whenever someone sees the whole "5bt" thing it seems to be answered with "Do a durbs" as a reflex reaction. Which is understandable as so many people ask - I just wanted to highlight that this wasn't particularly helpful in this case, that's all. And quite probably in the case of other simple moves (as I said, I've been in this situation before although I can't really remember what for).

The free lessons are great, just not always helpful to everyone, like you say. I obviously don't expect everyone to type the same thing out again and again, it's just that when the old stuff's hard to access, especially for a move wich IS hard and a lot of people DO struggle with, it can be very frustrating to spend half an hour and only yield minimal results.

Coleman - I've noticed similar threads, they're great for relative newbies like myself, but couldn't find one in this instance. They're a great idea though, I reckon.. perhaps they could be linked to on the "free lessons" page or something, to make them easier to locate? Maybe I'm just being bad at searching.. I'd just have thought if it was out there, my above searches should have picked it up, and as far as I can tell they didn't.

Thoreau

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
do you subject miss b to your room?

would you like to borrow my lady for a weekend, she has made me all tidy and organised, you saw the organisationwhen you came up!

Step (el-nombrie)

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks cole, they look great. Sorry everyone for undue criticism - I'm going to go do some search practise!

redface

Thoreau

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah... "Do a search" means "Please find the appropriate old thread and ask any follow up questions there" smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]